Irish folk music

Started by nevereven, April 22, 2003, 02:39:45 PM

nevereven

I love it, i just spent the last weekend working at a folk music festival ,as a sound engineer, and it was great.

Anyone else?
Your face isnt a question....

Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of the day...Set a man on fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of his life.

Sleuth

Oh yes yes, like Planxty?
I like to hug dogs

OmegaSlacker

Irish music rules. I'm not sure if they're "mainstream" in the genre, but the Furey, The Pogues, and Spirit of the West are phenomonal.
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

-dazza-

No, you've got to listen to:

The Wolfe Tones (one of my fave bands ever - The Streets Of New York is one of the finest songs of all time. FACT.

John Spillane - His "Will We Be Brilliant Or What" album is essential listening.

The Dubliners

The Chieftains

Ger Wolfe

Lasairfhiona Nichonaola
"Go home, Yank. 'Tis my field." - The late, great, Richard Harris.

Newbie Confusion Device:  CLICK HERE

Ghostboy

My brother is very involved in Irish music. He plays a lot of small shows in NYC, and won some big worldwide contest in Dublin a few years ago. I don't know much about it myself, but its great music (although trying to sleep while listening to him learn to play his homemade bagpipes was a bit trying).

Jeremy Blackman

What about Flogging Molly?

Sigur Rós

What's the name of that Irish guy who use to be the lead-singer in The Pogues?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sigur RósWhat's the name of that Irish guy who use to be the lead-singer in The Pogues?

Shane McGowan
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Where is the love for Van Morrison?
I like to hug dogs

USTopGun47

I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.