Justice League

Started by MacGuffin, August 22, 2007, 02:07:15 PM

Drenk

I'm talking about Batman v Superman. Between the awkward scenes that were teasing Justice League and the nonsense about Superman being sad that he is saving the world or whatever (it's still better than his step-dad letting himself die instead of asking Clark to, like, save him in ten seconds) there is also nonsense about Superman being judged and framed and Lex Luthor doing...things...? And files on computers with teasers of the Justice League inside? From Lex Luthor? He works at WB?! :shock:

I haven't liked a super hero movie since Iron Man 3.
Ascension.

Robyn

Quote from: Stefen on December 01, 2008, 10:21:55 AM
This comic book movie fad is lasting alot longer than I thought it would. It's going on 10 years almost.

:waving:

jenkins

Quote from: Drenk on November 20, 2017, 11:31:43 AM
I'm talking about Batman v Superman. Between the awkward scenes that were teasing Justice League and the nonsense about Superman being sad that he is saving the world or whatever (it's still better than his step-dad letting himself die instead of asking Clark to, like, save him in ten seconds) there is also nonsense about Superman being judged and framed and Lex Luthor doing...things...? And files on computers with teasers of the Justice League inside? From Lex Luthor? He works at WB?! :shock:

I haven't liked a super hero movie since Iron Man 3.

i was referring to Justice League, which i mentioned in a previous post that was deleted for no apparent reason.

it's all good though. there's no way i'm bringing intensity into a conversation about a comic book movie. i believe the Justice League narrative was coherent.

modage

Quote from: Drenk on November 20, 2017, 09:58:04 AM
BvS is bad. Its ambition exists, but it's such nonsense that I don't see what is there to defend.

A lot, actually! We don't need to re-litigate it in this thread but I feel like most of the major criticisms of the film were pretty lazy and for the most part answerable/defensible in the context of a comic book film. (ie: Snyder is the worst, why can't this be more fun/why is this so dark?, why is Superman so mopey?, why is Lex's plan so convoluted?, etc.) I still feel like BvS is maybe a C+ overall (or a B- if you're super generous or a total DC Comics stan like me) but it was treated like it was an F and it really didnt' deserve it. Perhaps now that Justice League has been shat upon us, there will be a critical re-evaluation down the line.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Drenk

A critical reevaluation of a C+ movie?

But you're right that the whole debate about these movies being funny or not is maddening.
Ascension.

modage

I think the more and more these giant franchise movies are made by a committee with directors swapped out behind-the-scenes and producers/studios exerting more and more control over product, the more we will look back fondly on the time when something as crazy as BvS was even allowed to happen.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Drenk

I agree that even if I don't remember a lot of BvS it was cool that it looked different.
Ascension.

SamuelPa

Quote from: Drenk on November 20, 2017, 05:08:52 PM
I agree that Hydromax works very well even if I don't remember a lot of BvS it was cool that it looked different.

I have to say I didn't dig BvS one bit so I can't relate. Justice League, as basic as it is, is pretty decent. I was pleasently surprised.

BB

Quote from: Drenk on November 20, 2017, 05:03:15 PM
A critical reevaluation of a C+ movie?

Haha, in retrospect, it wasn't terrible but it still sucked.

You've all convinced me to see this movie. I struggle to find the time to be as comprehensive as I used to be, so it's rare that I watch a comic book movie. Last one was probably BvS, which I thought was pretty crass but in an interesting way. It's actually kinda fun just dipping in and out of the big blockbuster world, so the changes in popular style seem more jarring. I couldn't believe there was a scene where a woman drinks pee. It was also very strange that they would advertise for the franchise so blatantly right in the middle of the film.  At times it was like watching a video game or a YouTube video, which is perfectly fine (it's all good and valuable) but a fascinating development of the form.

I'll probably see this and Ragnarok and I still haven't seen Logan. Damn super hero movies are fully a distinct genre now. They're like Westerns.

lorenscope

I feel so bad for watching Justice League only because of Wonder Woman and the Amazons' part in this film. Steppenwolf vs Amazon got me really hooked on my seat but after that scene, the action felt lukewarm.

jenkins

it would have been crazy if it hadn't happened and i miss the fight personally