New DVDs???

Started by Keener, September 10, 2003, 07:33:57 PM

Ravi

tpfkabi

has anyone else noticed the 2007 edition of FMJ that still has the white background cover?
it stood out because it doesn't have the snap cover or flap cover, whatever you call those.
i had never seen a FMJ dvd without that type of case.
very odd that they'd come out with this right before the new one with the photo up above this post.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Redlum

Does this make a statement about Bluray? All the other covers remain the same as HD/SD where as the one that might appeal to 'charlie blastin' PS3 gamers gets a less subtle re-working.

I'm sorry to taint a Kubrick thread with the ridiculous format war, it's just that 2001 in HD is extremely tantalising. Unlike the thought of buying these Special Editions twice.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

mogwai

2001 (the new one is the best)

tpfkabi

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideas on October 18, 2007, 02:28:56 PM
Quote from: mogwai on October 17, 2007, 02:28:45 PM
dvdbeaver's dvd review of the 134th special edition of "the shining"

widescreen.......arrgh.........does this keep anyone from buying solely for this reason?

no. we've known they were gonna be widescreen for quite a while now. the image that has been lost is not important, and there is some extra stuff on the sides to compensate. it'd be nice if they included both full and wide, but let's not retread the same old aspect ratio discussion, please, for the love of HD, anything but that.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Pubrick on October 18, 2007, 03:42:03 PM
Quote from: bigideas on October 18, 2007, 02:28:56 PM
Quote from: mogwai on October 17, 2007, 02:28:45 PM
dvdbeaver's dvd review of the 134th special edition of "the shining"

widescreen.......arrgh.........does this keep anyone from buying solely for this reason?

no. we've known they were gonna be widescreen for quite a while now. the image that has been lost is not important, and there is some extra stuff on the sides to compensate. it'd be nice if they included both full and wide, but let's not retread the same old aspect ratio discussion, please, for the love of HD, anything but that.

you are legion now (the use of 'we')?

yes, i remember talking about it previously.
the question was - is anyone not buying because of it?

although i'm sure someone will point to something else, i've never seen IMDB do this for a boxset:

http://imdb.com/special/kubrickcollection/

Ravi

I think Shining should be presented in widescreen.  I doubt any theater in the US at the time of its release would have been able to project 1.37:1, so they would have projected at 1.85:1 anyways.

mogwai

eyes wide shut i have to admit, ews in widescreen looks so much better than the matted 4:3 format.

a clockwork orange

picolas

at first i was going to buy them even though it would be the third time for some, but now i'm thinking i'll have to buy them again when i get an hd player.. but that's at least a year from now. i'm torn.. want to see the docs and no place will rent them. counsel me, xixax.

ps. everyone check the ews review if only for the insane international poster i've never seen anywhere else.

edit: no commentary??? so the sidney pollack one never existed? GARH

Xx

Ravi

I passed on the previous releases of these films because of the transfers, so I'm buying this new set.  When you're ready you could sell the SD set and put that money towards the HD versions.  Its up to you.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideas on October 18, 2007, 05:35:38 PM
you are legion now (the use of 'we')?

it's a fairly simple usage of we in the sense of everyone who reads this thread. we, the interested party. we, the nonspecific unbounded collective.

sheesh.

Quote from: Ravi on October 19, 2007, 01:29:10 PM
I think Shining should be presented in widescreen.  I doubt any theater in the US at the time of its release would have been able to project 1.37:1, so they would have projected at 1.85:1 anyways.

come on.. the full screen versions were only ever used for the home video market. the extra image that we see in full screen ratio is completely USELESS. they look beautiful in widescreen because that's where kubrick kept all the essential visual information. it's more precise. it focuses your attention on exactly what is necessary for each scene, instead of constantly thinking "what the fuck is up with the headroom, is tom/jack/joker/pyle about to have a bright idea soon??"

double sheesh.
under the paving stones.

JG

i think eyes wide shut might be the only i double dip on at this point, and thats cos i think my friend lost the disc (not the case, stroszek is sitting in the case - i think he lost the stroszek case too though).  the special features look good though.

but i've never double dipped (this is the term right?) before, i have the shitty bare bones versions of most of my favorite movies.