Farrelly Brothers

Started by Spike, September 22, 2003, 08:08:38 AM

lamas

if you and i knew each other in real life i'll bet we'd be friends.

MacGuffin

Farrellys Keep Faith in Three Stooges
Brothers persist with big screen adaptation.

Prior to taking the helm of the movie Fever Pitch, an opportunity they could not pass on due to their fervent love of the Boston Red Sox, the Farrelly brothers were deeply immersed in another project: bringing the classic Three Stooges to life on the big screen. The brothers had spent over a year working, and reworking (and reworking) the Stooges screenplay. They were as far as casting the movie before they hit a roadblock they're well familiar with: being repelled by studio executives' indifference. The Three Stooges was in stasis, so the brothers jumped over to Fever Pitch. But now they're back on track.

"We're still trying to make The Stooges happen," Peter Farrelly tells IGN FilmForce. "I'll be honest with you, it's been very, very difficult to get that thing made. It's been crazy."

The Farrellys have found themselves up against the studios' belief that there isn't enough of a fan base to make the movie a success. The Three Stooges may be a classic series of films, but executives aren't entirely confident it will fly with today's audience. "Studios have been resistant to The Stooges," says Farrelly. "They're afraid of it. I don't agree with the reasons why, I don't know why they think that, but it doesn't worry me because eventually we are going to make the movie."

Farrelly finds the studios' resistance to a Three Stooges movie all the more baffling due to the fact that everyone he speaks with wants to see the movie made, and many actors have expressed interest. "It's kind of funny because every actor wants to do the movie," says Farrelly. "Benicio Del Toro wanted to play Moe. We've had a lot people talk to us about that movie. And everybody we've talked to has been really interested in the movie. So, it's not a hard movie to cast. It's just that the studios just don't know it it will fly. They just don't know if it will work, and they don't quite get that. They don't get that this is going to be effective."

Speaking from experience, Farrelly adds, "People say to us, 'Did you always want to make movies?' No, we never wanted to make movies. Not until our mid-twenties did we even think of it and that was because we had no jobs. We thought, 'Well, how about writing?' And we were like, 'Alright.' And we'd work and we'd get it done. And you know what? It took us five years to get Dumb and Dumber made, and from inception of the idea to its completion it took everyone five years to get Fever Pitch made, and The Stooges will likely happen. Sometimes things wait for their right time."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Wasn't Russell Crowe supposedly going to act in a Three Stooges movie at one point?

UncleJoey

Quote from: RaviWasn't Russell Crowe supposedly going to act in a Three Stooges movie at one point?

Jesus, imagine being the director that has to tell Russell Crowe "Sorry, we need a thirteenth take of you getting hit in the skull with that sledgehammer".
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaviWasn't Russell Crowe supposedly going to act in a Three Stooges movie at one point?

Page 1 (near the bottom) is waiting for you.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

I saw the bros on a conan or letterman appearance last night, rerun, they were with Drew Barrymore, but man they were witty. Peter or Bobby said something about how the only chance he gets to work out and get his heart rate going is when he was in the airport with pot in his pocket. it made me laugh.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Farrellys' Heartbreak
Brothers take over comic remake.

Comedy filmmaking siblings Peter and Bobby Farrelly are getting set to sign a deal to direct The Heartbreak Kid, according to today's Variety.  

The DreamWorks-based project is a remake of the 1972 film starring Charles Grodin, Cybill Shepherd, Eddie Albert and Jeannie Berlin, and it's been in development for some time.

The Farrelly brothers (Something About Mary, Fever Pitch) are reportedly in final negotiations to write and direct the redo, which centers around a man who meets the girl of his dreams while on his honeymoon with someone else.

James Bobin (Da Ali G Show) was hired to direct the project in March, but that's obviously fallen through. Arrested Development star Jason Bateman and SNL's Amy Poehler had been set to star, but it's unclear if they'll remain attached.  Barry Sonnenfeld was also previously attached to the project, but dropped out late last year.

Additionally, a script for the new flick was being penned by Scot Armstrong (Starsky & Hutch, Old School) and Leslie Dixon (Pay It Forward, The Thomas Crown Affair, Mrs. Doubtfire). It's unclear if their work will be retooled or scrapped all together.

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

yes, i know: IMDB lies all the time, but I thought was post worthy:

Credited cast:

Patricia Heaton ....  Christine
Sara Rue ....  Curly
Molly Shannon ....  Shampagne

Is this going to bomb or what...yeesh... :?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

SiliasRuby

Kingpin is their masterpiece with Mary coming up second and Dumb and Dumber as well as Me, myself and Irene picking up the rear.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Kiss, Kiss, Ha, Ha
Source: Moviehole

One of the most down-to-earth actresses around, "Mission: Impossible 3" star Michelle Monaghan, is in talks to join Gwyneth Paltrow and Ben Stiller for the next Farrelly Brother's comedy.

"She's red hot in Hollywood right now," Bobby Farrelly, says of the diverse actress, currently filming a role in Ben Affleck's directorial debut "Gone, Baby, Gone". "She's got huge buzz. But we have our fingers crossed."

The film, titled "Itch", reunites Gwyneth Paltrow with her "Shallow Hal" directors, and Stiller with his "There's Something About Mary" helmers. It's a remake of Neil Simon's "The Heartbreak Kid" (starring Cybill Sheppard and Charles Grodin), and stars Stiller as a man who " thinks he's married the girl of his dreams," Farrelly tells The Boston Herald. "She's beautiful, but then, on their honeymoon, he finds out she's nuts."

Enter the wholesome, not-as-glam Monaghan. And Stiller falls in love.

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

Exclusive: Dumb and Dumber 2 Begins Production This September

Last summer, ComingSoon.net broke the news that Jim Carrey was in discussions with Bobby and Peter Farrelly to develop a sequel to their 1994 film Dumb and Dumber. Then, in October, it was revealed that Sean Anders and John Morris had come aboard to provide the screenplay. Today, at the junket for he and his brother's latest, The Three Stooges, Peter Farrelly says that not only is Dumb and Dumber 2 coming, it's set to begin production later this year.

"We're getting set to shoot 'Dumb and Dumber 2' in September," he says. "It's the first sequel we've ever done and we've got Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels back."

The original Dumb and Dumber represented one of Carrey's breakout comedy roles. The film was given a prequel in 2003 with Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd, but Peter Farrelly stresses that this is something very different.

"We did not do 'Dumb and Dumberer,'" he continues. "That was a studio thing. So we've always wanted to do a sequel and finally Jim called up. Jeff always wanted to do it. We always wanted to do it. Jim was busy, but he called and said, 'We've got to do this thing again.' He had just watched 'Dumb and Dumber' and he said, 'This is the perfect sequel. Let's do it.'"

Source

:multi:

Yowza Yowza Yowza

72teeth

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

Sandler and Carrey should team up and make a quasi-sequel about their dumb career decisions. ( sandler is dumber )

polkablues

I never believed this was actually going to happen anyway, so rather than being disappointed, I get to feel super prescient, and that's a fun feeling.  Much funner than a Dumb & Dumber sequel directed by the 2012-era Farrellys could ever have been.
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

It's odd to me that he's not saying there is a weak script, or that they had a disagreement, but that the studio doesn't seem interested. I wonder if that means they won't pay him enough.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.