Luis Guzman as Luis Guzman

Started by ThurstonPowell, February 26, 2004, 05:18:42 PM

ThurstonPowell

Here's a question I've had for a long while, and while I don't think there's a right answer it's interesting to ponder:

In Magnolia, Luis Guzman is listed in the credits as playing 'Luis Guzman".  Do you think PTA means he's playing himself, or someone coincidentally named Luis Guzman?
Did you tell your friend Bernice I'm some kind of jet pilot?

Duck Sauce

I kind of have the feeling Luis Guzman is kinda always playing Luis Guzman

ThurstonPowell

Fair enough.  But is his Magnolia character intended to be himself, or a guy coincidentally named Luis Guzman?  I guess it's a pointless question.  PTA probably doesn't even know.

ThurstonPowell

I just realized my reply is worded almost identically to my original question.  Damn you, Guzman.  Why must you fascinate me so?

Duck Sauce

Triple Post Bonus!

this is useful, to me at least

to try to answer your question. My guess would be that the guy didnt have any name and they just thought, "lets just call him Luis Guzman".... probably not a big deal? C&C alum, weigh in?

I assume he is being "himself"

Also...  You nickname Thurston Powell.. whats that about? Because I think it's missing an H and has to many P's
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Kal

He would be playing himself... but in the case that he is not a famous actor but a game show participant...

ThurstonPowell

Well, 82, this is what my nickname's about:

'Thurston Powell' is a combined referrence to Henry Gibson's character in Magnolia and film director Michael Powell (who I am sure many, if not all, of you are familiar with).  I guess I was trying to honor two cinematic favorites in one screen name.  The Jim Backus/Gilligan's Island origins are of course noted.  

Which is more of a nickname explanation than anyone cares to read.  It'll add to the air of ceremonial shit-giving that has so far accompanied my  poorly-thought out, bonus-score inducing triple post.

God bless, and I'll slink back to hang with the wallflowers until such time as a truly inspired question/comment moves me to post again.

phil marlowe

Quote from: 82Also...  You nickname Thurston Powell.. whats that about? Because I think it's missing an H and has to many P's
you
are
evil

Duck Sauce

Quote from: ThurstonPowellWell, 82, this is what my nickname's about:

'Thurston Powell' is a combined referrence to Henry Gibson's character in Magnolia and film director Michael Powell (who I am sure many, if not all, of you are familiar with).  I guess I was trying to honor two cinematic favorites in one screen name.  The Jim Backus/Gilligan's Island origins are of course noted.  

Which is more of a nickname explanation than anyone cares to read.  It'll add to the air of ceremonial shit-giving that has so far accompanied my  poorly-thought out, bonus-score inducing triple post.

God bless, and I'll slink back to hang with the wallflowers until such time as a truly inspired question/comment moves me to post again.

no man, hang around. just stay away of ebeaman

prophet

his editorial comments on 'I Love the 80s' are pretty damn funny.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...