Harmony Korine

Started by Rudie Obias, February 02, 2003, 08:54:10 PM

The Red Vine

Really disappointed with Gummo. A totally self-indulgent piece of shit. Kids was better but not by much.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Alethia

hmmm well gummo is and probably always will be one of my favorite films.  i can't even begin to describe the impact that film (and julien-donkey boy too) had on me.  it was because of korine that i discovered herzog, alan clarke, cassavetes, fassbinder, buster keaton, bresson, and on and on and on...

ono

Quote from: RedVines on November 16, 2005, 11:39:49 AM
Really disappointed with Gummo. A totally self-indulgent piece of shit. Kids was better but not by much.
I love it when people make statements like this and then don't back then up.  Gummo self-indulgent?  How.

And for that matter, what art isn't self-indulgent?

Can opened.  Worms everywhere.

SiliasRuby

Ut Oh I smell a online riot bursting
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

The Red Vine

Quote from: onomabracadabra on November 16, 2005, 01:33:23 PM
Gummo self-indulgent?  How.

In every way you can fathom. He thinks he's showing the reality of these rural people and their lives. But instead he's made a tedious collection of things that don't have any connection to reality while still convincing himself that everything on screen is either beautiful or true. And it's neither.

And I'm talking about the following scenes in particular...

- The long shot of Sevigny with her hand going through her hair
- Two girls in the pool kissing the boy bunny
- The boy killing cats (and eventually running up to the camera to show it's dead body)
- The older man in the car with the two girls

And there's more. Adding a bunch of scenes like that together does not make a successful movie. I admit it's an interesting and very unusual film but ultimately a failure. I'm not discussing it anymore.

hedwig

Quote from: RedVines on November 16, 2005, 06:03:31 PM

In every way you can fathom. He thinks he's showing the reality of these rural people and their lives. But instead he's made a tedious collection of things that don't have any connection to reality while still convincing himself that everything on screen is either beautiful or true. And it's neither.

- The boy killing cats (and eventually running up to the camera to show it's dead body)

And there's more. Adding a bunch of scenes like that together does not make a successful movie. I admit it's an interesting and very unusual film but ultimately a failure. I'm not discussing it anymore.

thanks, anyone who ends his rebuttal with "I'm not discussing it anymore" is clearly unqualified to discuss and defend his points anyway so

take a hike, sister

The Red Vine

Quote from: Hedwig on November 16, 2005, 06:14:08 PM
thanks, anyone who ends his rebuttal with "I'm not discussing it anymore" is clearly unqualified to discuss and defend his points anyway so

actually I'm not discussing it anymore cuz I've said all I wanted to say about it. nice job, asshole :bravo:

Weak2ndAct

Take your ball and go home, douche.

Alethia

yeah seriously, redvines, you're bringin tears to my eyes

Pubrick

RedVines you are Small Town Loner/Finn/Quoyle/filmcritic. i'm not discussing it anymore.
under the paving stones.

The Red Vine

hedwig

Quote from: RedVines on November 16, 2005, 10:20:50 PM
actually I'm not discussing it anymore cuz I've said all I wanted to say about it.

obviously you're not willing to discuss it because you're incapable of defending your points. this isn't the first time you've displayed this insecure, immature attitude toward fair discussion. remember this:

Quote from: Finn on April 24, 2005, 05:14:25 PM
I'm not gonna explain it

oh yeah, and

Quote from: RedVines on November 16, 2005, 10:20:50 PM
nice job, asshole
Quote from: RedVines on November 17, 2005, 09:13:57 AM
fuck you

calm down, you little baby. go take a valium or something.

or maybe just never post here again.

private witt

I'd be cranky too if I was up til 6am.  I think a nap would help.  I'm about to test this hypothesis on myself.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: RedVines on November 16, 2005, 06:03:31 PM

i hope i dont loose any firends for this....but

i agree w/vines.  anything affiliated w/ korine and clark.  is shit filmmaking..  ono, you have good taste man..you are too smart to be down w/ gummo :shock:....exspecially seeing how well you write in the idle chatter thread..if i was younger and more naive then i would might like it..why?  why? why? would someone actually own gummo/kids and watch it and think it is decent/good?  the actors all suck telly is so fucking annoying... i hate the way telly talks ..he sound like he's got a fucking dick in his mouth  [maybe clarks?]..i hate telly's teeth.. they are nasty and fucked up.  i hate his emaciated body and his stupid hair.   i hate that white trash kid who goes around drinking forties and sk8boarding....i hate the cheesy interracial shit in the pool-  so fake just like thirteen.  i hate the girls and i hate their skank yankee accents.  i hate the cinematography.  ..i hate the white trash punk music in the film.  i hate the dialogue....how hard is it to write something like this:

telly:  yous guys, i wanna fuck my moms then stick a crayon in her pussy then have my dad  finger me in the ass and i want him to pull out my prostate gland through my ass

kid #2:  i wanna fuck your mom while my mom gives me aids

kid #3:  i wanna shit on my sisters mouth then fuck her cousin then cut one of her breast off and eat the nipple

kid #4:  i wanna spread my grandmother's douche on a philly cheese steak.

kids #5  i wanna rape my guidance counselor then suck all the milk out of her tits then spit it back in her face.

thats basically the writing of korine w/ clark masturbating behind the scenes.....you guys [xixax] are suppose to be smarter than this...if  you wanna watch something that takes talent to helm and is full of risque business, then check out irreversible.  owning kids/gummo is like owning a coldplay cd in that you think its cool and hip but its fake and makes you look like a poser when you pimp it....

Pubrick

there's nothing wrong with hating Gummo. that wasn't the problem.

Quote from: Pubrick on November 17, 2005, 02:19:13 AM
RedVines you are Small Town Loner/Finn/Quoyle/filmcritic
i forgot Sydney/Insomniac. you know there's something wrong when NEON can discuss a movie with more maturity than you.
under the paving stones.