Ebert & Roeper or Hot Ticket

Started by filmcritic, June 18, 2003, 09:12:43 PM

Rudie Obias

Quote from: themodernage02although you may not agree with them, i doubt that they're "idiots".

you're probably right but i also didn't think A BEAUTIFUL MIND and CHICAGO we're the best films of the past 2 years either.

Quote from: themodernage02in fact, i bet any one of them has seen more movies than you AND your friends combined.

they've obviously seen more movies than my friends and i because they're much older than us.  we're in our early 20s.  so logistically speaking, it would impossible for a 23 year-old to see as many movies as a 57 year-old.  especially if they're jobs are consist of watching and writing about movies, whereinas my job is to serve coffee and sell thrift clothing to people.  so you're last comment was completely unfounded and ridiculous!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Rudie Obias

sorry, hard to tell while reading a message board post
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

MrBurgerKing

Let me tell you a little autobiographical story. I was at the mall, sitting down eating "Boardwalk Fries" (large boardwalk fries with a water.. hey, I'm on a diet), and I was wearing my black baret. So, I was eating those fries and observing my surroundings. Suddenly, to my surprise, I saw a guy walking by with the exact same brand of black baret that I had on. He was wearing the same thing that I was! I immediately took off my own baret and put it in my pocket. Now that I think of it, I don't know why I did it. Actually, I know exactly why I did it. I heard some prick around me say these exact words: "man, look at those two french pricks wearing barets.. walking around like they're cool." Or maybe that was in my head.

Perhaps I should just wear it and not listen to outside comments. If Calvin Klein told me I had bad taste wearing that baret, I'd spit on his face and tell him he has bad taste for telling me what to wear.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MrBurgerKing(large boardwalk fries with a water.. hey, I'm on a diet)

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: MrBurgerKing(large boardwalk fries with a water.. hey, I'm on a diet)

I don't know about that. Anyone else think Jared has always been a 140 pound man? It's a scandal. I think Subway just wanted to show people that their food is healthy, so they made up this fake "success" story. Jared is the epitome of all that is wrong in modern fast food. Does Subway expect overweight women to eat there? (because let's face it, women tend to be the primary dieters of this country. Men diet too, yeah, but that's because their wives force them to. Or their doctors.) Actually, my case is different. I'm dieting because of a situation I was in a while back. I was at the movie theater, watching Finding Nemo for the third time, and I looked around me (think Amelie). What I saw was shocking: no children, no fathers taking their kids out, no beautiful teenage couples making out, no juicy prick making faces at the screen, nobody but overweight college males. Overweight curly haired college males. I just knew after the movie was done, they'd go home on the internet and post cuss words on aint it cool news. I'm not claiming superiority though, as I knew I'd come home and go on Xixax.com, but the image sunk into my brain, and it was a terrible feeling. The feeling that we're a theater full of overweight (in my case, slightly overweight) pathetic losers watching Finding Nemo. I thought to myself "man, I'd love to be the only person not overweight in this theater right now." That's when my diet began. Anyway, Jared is really the scum of the earth. If he is telling the truth then great, good for him. But trying to equate weight loss with Subway? Shame on Jared. If you want to lose weight, forget about fast food and start eating some boardwalk fries with water. Oh god, now I'm starting to sound like a cross between Oliver Stone and Ronald McDonald... and Dave Thomas.. and MacMuffin. Yep, I'm single

SoNowThen

MrBurgerKing, have you seen the South Park with Jared? One of the funniest ever. You should check it out...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: rudieob
you're probably right but i also didn't think A BEAUTIFUL MIND and CHICAGO we're the best films of the past 2 years either.

Isnt it strange how there are like no mainstream film reviewers who thought Punch Drunk Love and Adaptation were the best of 2002?

pete

I am ashamed of Joyce Kulhaywik.  She used to be on TV all the time here in Boston when she was a petty reporter.  She still does some of that shite.  I saw her at the press screening of The Hot Chick last winter along with all the other petty local celebrities.  And in the end when everyone was clapping I asked her if she thought the film was as great as Gladiator.  But the cheering was too loud so she didn't hear me the two times I said it, and I just gave up.
Remember that time she was on Ebert and she said Gladiator was like the best film ever that triumphed on every level in every aspect, and Ebert basically just held his head in disbelief?
I think the thing that sets Ebert apart from all the other tv critics is that he always backs up his opinions with pretty valid arguments, so even if you disagree with him you can appreciate his perspective and maybe even some insights.  You can kind of do that with Roeper but he really hasn't seen enough movies to know where it all begins.
Maltin is crazy with the animation stuff, he knows his shit, even Ebert goes to Maltin for the animation tidbits, and he's certainly seen enough (though we all know he's got like a staff of 300 people who write his anthologies), but somehow he still insists on giving at least one or two film of the week the same praises his gives to something like, let's say, Taxi Driver.  You gotta ration them hyperboles dude, big words all the time only makes you lose credibility.

One thing I like about Ebert above most other critics is that he's very good with linking movies--if he something he likes, he'll recommend more films (and mostly obscure, overlooked films) that he thinks the audience might also enjoy, but if he dislikes something, he'll first quote Goddard ("the best way to criticize a film is to make another film") then he'll recommend films he thinks that are better than this one.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: petebut somehow he still insists on giving at least one or two film of the week the same praises his gives to something like, let's say, Taxi Driver.  You gotta ration them hyperboles dude, big words all the time only makes you lose credibility.
were u talking about maltin then? cos he didn't like taxi driver. but if ur talking about ebert, well, regardless of who ur talking about really.. it reminds me of when Homer became a food critic and said everything was ekzellent, and made everyone fat and the other critics told him to stop liking everything. the way i feel about that is, maybe there is a lot of great food, and if sumone goes out and tries at least one of those meals cos of the great review then it's all good in the hood.
under the paving stones.

pete

sorry, I didn't remember whether or not Maltin actually liked Taxi Driver, I was just making a point that, as you've illustrated better with your Homer example, he's like that.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

filmcritic

Quote from: KeenerI don't watch critic shows because our stations air them at very odd hours late at night.

Well, this is true. Where I live "Ebert & Roeper comes on at 2:30 in the morning and "Hot Ticket" comes on at 1:30. But I can understand that. These shows are strictly for people who want to hear about the movies. I wouldn't expect either of them to win a bunch of Emmy's. Although "Siskel & Ebert" did when it was first on the air.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Ravi

Quote from: filmcritic
Quote from: KeenerI don't watch critic shows because our stations air them at very odd hours late at night.

Well, this is true. Where I live "Ebert & Roeper comes on at 2:30 in the morning and "Hot Ticket" comes on at 1:30. But I can understand that. These shows are strictly for people who want to hear about the movies. I wouldn't expect either of them to win a bunch of Emmy's. Although "Siskel & Ebert" did when it was first on the air.

I've caught Hot Ticket a few times, on a Saturday evening.  Ebert and Roeper airs here at somewhere between 10:45 and 11:15 on Sunday nights.  It occasionally shifts around, so I often find myself tuning into the closing credits or watching 30 minutes of the crappy local show that precedes E&R.