Some questions

Started by Spike, August 10, 2003, 04:27:33 AM

Spike

I've never directed a film before, but now I want to.
I want to realize "Frog Meal" (you can read the script in the "Brainstorming"-thread).

And now, of course, I got a few questions:
- I need two good actors. But I don't know actors. Where can I get them?
- How can I add the credits?
- I'll work with a 16mm camera. How does this work exactly? I just put the film in and can start shooting immediately?

If the end result will be good, I'll try to submit it to the Sundance Festival 2004. We'll see!

It'll be great if you could give me some other good tipps.

Thanks for help!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Ghostboy

-There are bound to be people in your area who want to act -- all you have to do is find them. Drama classes at local schools are a good place to go if you don't have an active film commission or theater scene to assist you.

-If you're editing on a computer, adding credits is easy to do with your editing software. If not, you'll have to shoot them. You can just print them off a computer and film them, if you want to be simple about it. The fancy way to do it is with an animation stand.

-You can load the film and start shooting immediately, but if you don't have any idea how it works you might not come up with any useable footage once you get it developed. Make sure you load your film right, get a light meter so you can at least get a proper exposure, and be prepared to be possibly disappointed with the results the first time you use it. You might want to shoot exteriors in daylight until you have a better handle of cinematography (shoot while the sun goes down for some really nice natural lighting).

Spike

Quote from: Ghostboy-You might want to shoot exteriors in daylight until you have a better handle of cinematography (shoot while the sun goes down for some really nice natural lighting).

Yeah, that's what I wanted to to. Make some "tests" before actual filming.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Ghostboy-Make sure you load your film right,

meaning...load it in a film bag......otherwise the about the first 5-10' are worthless...

...sorry if you already knew this Spike, just looking out.

mutinyco

He'll probably be using daylight rolls so the changing bag won't be necessary.

Personally, I don't think it's a great idea to shoot 16mm if you don't know what you're doing. Use mini-DV. You'll save money and you can practice putting things together before you step up to heavier equipment.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Spike

Can mini-dv be shown on a projector? How expensive is such an equipment?

Cecil

mini-dv is video, you can play it on your tv.

The Silver Bullet

Unless of course you do a video to film transfer, which [judging from the nature of your questions thus far] you probably won't be doing as yet. Best to start out basic, and DV transfers are expensive.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

atticus jones

"everyone and everything around you is your teacher"

ken keyes jr (1921-1995)
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

ReelHotGames

Spike, I wish you all the luck in your endeavor, and you can learn a lot by asking questions like these on this board. Some good knowledge floating around, but what I want to empart on you is this.

If your asking these questions right now, you're not ready to think abotu Sundance 2004.

Give yourself some time to do things right. Don't suffer from the old adage "we don't want it good, we want it Tuesday." You will only suffer for it.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mutinycoHe'll probably be using daylight rolls so the changing bag won't be necessary.
I was assuming he didn't actually have a arri or something...(or maybe I don't know what you mean by "daylight rolls")

shit, this is what I shot my first spool with.....

The Silver Bullet

RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Spike

Quote from: michael alessandro
If your asking these questions right now, you're not ready to think abotu Sundance 2004.

Yeah, yeah, I know. After some researching I think that it's a quiet stupid idea, too.

SoNowThen

just go and shoot. shoot like mad. fuck up a lot. that's what it's all about.

just one tiny thing: don't let the actors push you around. just because they're working for free, and you're not "well known", fuck that. get what you need to get out of them. don't let anyone mess up your stuff.

i still suffer from being slightly over-polite sometimes on set.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.