The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

pete

well, nobody said he was.  you cited someone saying she wants to name her kid Malick - that has nothing to do with Kubrick or Orson Welles, that's just someone liking Malick.  then someone said it's the decade/ century of Malick - that has nothing to do with the two you mentioned either, since they're both dead.  So I don't understand this jealousy you have for someone you obviously love as well.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

private witt

Sometimes folks embellish a tad when they say things like, "I'm gonna name my kid Malick", or, "Malick cums pure cinema". 
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

Pas

Quote from: pete on March 28, 2009, 06:12:40 PM
So I don't understand this jealousy you have for someone you obviously love as well.

haha good point.

back on topic though, Trumbull was mentioned earlier but in a more recent article I read Mike Fink doing the FX... is Trumbull out? Are they both in ? Are they even doing the same job ?

rustinglass

probably stupid question:

I never seen an IMAX projection so I don't really get what it is. but will this play on regular theaters?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

QuotePell James talks about Terrence Malick's THE TREE OF LIFE
by Sheila Roberts    Posted:June 15th, 2009 at 7:43 pm

At today's press junket for Jennifer Lynch's new movie "Surveillance", I was able to ask Pell James some questions about another of her upcoming projects, Terrence Malick's "The Tree of Life". While most directors and movie studios are happy to tell you about an upcoming film, anything involving Terrence Malick is always a mystery, until you see the finished project.

According to Wikipedia, the film stars Brad Pitt and Sean Penn and it's a boy's journey from the innocence of childhood to his disillusioned adult years as a lost soul in the modern world.

Of course, who really knows what it's about, as there has been talk of dinosaurs in the film. Here's what special effects guru Mike Fink told Empire a few months back:

"We're animating dinosaurs, but it's not Jurassic Park. The attempt is to treat it as if somehow a camera wound up in the middle of these periods when dinosaurs roamed the earth and creatures first started to emerge from the sea onto the land. The first mammals appearing. We're doing a number of creatures all seriously scientifically based. I think when it's finished it'll be something that's referred to for years."

While this sounds like it could get pretty crazy, I'm sure Mr. Malick has a plan. Anyhow, while Pell James didn't reveal too much, if you're a fan of Mr. Malick's, I'm sure you'd like to read what she said. It's after the jump:

Question: Can you talk about The Tree of Life, the new Terrence Malick film?

Pell James: I shot Tree of Life with Terrence Malick which is such a dream. I have no idea when it's going to come out, but I know I'm in it because he called me and said he didn't cut me which is really nice because there's this notorious story that Adrien Brody was going to be the big star and that he was in The Thin Red Line and he had a huge part in it and it was a big coup that he got it and then he got cut... I don't even know if he had a speaking part in it at the end of the day the way they edited it — not because he wasn't great but it just didn't work for what Terrence had in mind and then he did The Pianist so he was fine. So you never know with him. He's like such a notorious cutter.

How was it working with Terrence and also, can you talk a little bit about your character?

Pell James: I don't think I can. I have no idea if I can. I meant to call him and ask him but I just didn't get around to it. He's pretty amazing to work with. I mean, it was such a dream. He's one of those people that you have this dream list of people that you want to work with and you never really think that you're going to end up working with him because God knows if he's going to do another movie. He's really doing them back to back now though. The crew was really great. It was in Texas and I had shot a movie in Texas a couple of years ago so it was like, "Hi pal!" Again, it was another kind of family like situation.

I hear rumors there are dinosaurs in The Tree of Life. Is that true?

Pell James: I've heard that too. I was not in a scene with a dinosaur. I will confirm that. I Google it like anyone else would because I wouldn't ever dare ask him. I read the script and there's very long descriptions of things and this and that. We weren't exactly sure if the script was what was actually being shot. So, I don't know but I'm excited.

So you don't know when Tree of Life is coming out?

Pell James: I Google it all the time to get information. I don't know. Hopefully soon.

http://www.collider.com/2009/06/15/pell-james-talks-about-terrence-malicks-the-tree-of-life/

LOL. This poor girl sounds TERRIFIED of Terrence Malick.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

'Tree of Life' will get Apparition off the ground
Bob Berney, Bill Pohlad unveil plans for distrib'n venture
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW YORK -- River Road Entertainment's Bill Pohlad and distribution guru Bob Berney announced their new distribution venture Thursday, saying that the company would be named Apparition and that it would release Terrence Malick's anticipated opus "The Tree of Life."

The company also said it had pacted with Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group for all domestic ancillary rights; the Peter Schlessel division will handle home video and other platforms.

"Life," which River Road is producing, adds to Apparition's previously announced title, the Jane Campion period drama "Bright Star," which premiered at the Festival de Cannes. Apparition said Thursday that Campion's film, which examines the romance between John Keats and Fanny Brawne in the 19th century, would open on Sept. 18, shortly after its North American premiere at the Toronto international Film Festival.

Malick's fifth film and first since 2005's colonial drama "The New World," "Life" has been the subject of much speculation in filmmaker and fan circles. Some believe the movie, which stars Sean Penn and Brad Pitt, to be a coming-of-age tale set in the Midwest, where Malick comes from. Apparition did not announce a date for the pic, which Malick has been editing for some time.

Several of the execs and staff members who will be working at Apparition were announced on Thursday, including Picturehouse acquisitions veteran Sara Rose, as well as Dan Lange, Bill Thompson and John Lange in the distribution department and Jeanne R. Berney, Kirk Iwanowski and Molly Albright in marketing.

Pohlad and Berney created the new theatrical releasing company to be what a statement described as a "fiercely independent, artist friendly distributor."

Pohlad, a financier and producer whose River Road is behind movies such as "Into the Wild" and upcoming Joan Jett pic "The Runaways," said that the pair were building a company that has "a sensitivity and passion for the work as well as an ability to bring it to the marketplace with ingenuity and creativity."

Berney has a reputation for taking filmmaker-driven fare and connecting it to diverse audiences. In previous guises he helped turn structurally complex mystery "Memento," Mel Gibson historical drama "The Passion of the Christ" and ethnic-flavored comedy "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" into breakout hits.

At Picturehouse, the company he founded in 2005 as a joint venture between HBO Films and New Line, he scored with movies such as Guillermo del Toro's historical fantasy "Pan's Labyrinth" and Edith Piaf biopic "La Vie En Rose." Time Warner disbanded Picturehouse in the spring of 2008,

Berney said Apparition's goal would be discernment on the acquisitions front and careful strategic thinking on the distribution side.

"Bill and I are creating a company where the art of filmmaking is truly a priority," he said. ""The birth of a new company that works in concert with artists while employing creative marketing strategies is a winning combination and is the essence of Apparition."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

according to the new EW this will be released Dec 25.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

Quote from: modage on August 16, 2009, 09:42:59 AM

Yes that is accurate.

picolas

Quote from: kal on August 16, 2009, 06:34:48 PM
Quote from: modage on August 16, 2009, 09:42:59 AM

Yes that is accurate.
i will also confirm mod's post.

The Perineum Falcon

Yeah, thank god we've got kal here to keep everything in order.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Kal

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on August 16, 2009, 07:07:53 PM
Yeah, thank god we've got kal here to keep everything in order.

I would never leave you boys alone.

Fernando

¡¡¡¡:multi:!!!!

hope we can see a trailer soon..

modage

'Tree Of Life' Officially NOT Coming Out In 2009; Oscar Field Diminshes By One More
Source: The Playlist

"But Pa, Christmas just won't be the same this year without Mr. Malick's tree!"

Guess those "unsubstantiated" rumors were correct. And yes, you'll scream, "gee shocker," but it's finally been confirmed as we kind of assumed. Terrence Malick's "Tree Of Life" is officially incomplete and will not be coming in 2009.

The originally scheduled December 25 date was evidently wishful thinking and Apparition — the studio who is putting out the film — hasn't even seen the movie yet. "It's definitely not going to come out this year," Apparition head Bob Bearney told Anne Thompson today. Malick has always taken his time making movies and has apparently been futzing around in the editing room for more than a year (this thing was shot more than two years ago, at least).

Oscar prognosticators take note as this changes the game though at this point, not many of them (including us) have been banking on it.

The last rumors we heard said the filmmakers would try and aim for the 2010 Cannes Film Festival in May and that seems to be the basic plan, but even Bearney isn't sure when it will be finished. "I can't tell you when it will come out," he said.

"The Tree Of Life" stars Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain. For more on the semi-mysterious plot details, see many, many of our back stories, but it's essentially a life-spanning father-son drama that seems to revolved around daddy issues, forgiveness and grieving. And seemingly grief over the death of a parent the character has contentiously mixed feelings for (if we've got this right, Penn plays the father and Brad Pitt plays the son grown up many years later). A second film to accompany it will also likely hit in 2010 and it's more of a mystical and panoramic wildlife documentary (or something) called, "Voyage of Time" that will be presented in IMAX and chronicles the "the birth and death of the universe." Yes, it sounds bizarre and that's because it is.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

well, at least they also mentioned voyage of time, i started to think it was a dream.