State of the XIXAX?

Started by The Ultimate Badass, June 09, 2017, 09:47:11 PM

jenkins

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 13, 2017, 06:46:08 PM
People will probably have more opinions on Grapevine movies when they're released.

Axolotl

I don't know. While I'd love for it to be more active, and I post like once a year now so I shouldn't complain, xixax for me will always be a throwback to the old (for me) days of the internet (when I wasn't actually on here).

Remember when going online was an enjoyable and fun experience and not just an endless cycle of being angry at shit and having your beliefs reinforced? You had your roster of 10-15 sites you'd visit daily and look forward to updates/news/new posts on. Remember how Google used to be an actual search engine and not just a walled garden designed to keep you swimming in the same scummy stale waters forever? Fun times.

Xixax can/will keep on going forever as like a comfort browsing and posting place. It currently seems to be at the same level of activity as it was when I joined ~4 years ago when people were also posting about it being dated and dying.

Sleepless

Quote from: Axolotl on August 14, 2017, 09:46:54 AM
I don't know. While I'd love for it to be more active, and I post like once a year now so I shouldn't complain, xixax for me will always be a throwback to the old (for me) days of the internet (when I wasn't actually on here).

Remember when going online was an enjoyable and fun experience and not just an endless cycle of being angry at shit and having your beliefs reinforced? You had your roster of 10-15 sites you'd visit daily and look forward to updates/news/new posts on. Remember how Google used to be an actual search engine and not just a walled garden designed to keep you swimming in the same scummy stale waters forever? Fun times.

Xixax can/will keep on going forever as like a comfort browsing and posting place. It currently seems to be at the same level of activity as it was when I joined ~4 years ago when people were also posting about it being dated and dying.

Agree with all this.

I'll be the first to admit that I wish I posted more than I did, but I rarely get to see films until the home release because kids. But this is the place I visit almost every day. I love the sense of community here, the shared passions, the sense of humor. I LOLed at the title of Jenkin's new thread this morning, for example. Back in the day, we had some good arguments on here. People really going at it over different point of view, and that was healthy. Not saying arguments are a good thing, but I at least feel (and this is not an Xixax thing necessarily) that people nowadays oftentimes either don't openly disagree in an effort to keep the peace or else just troll.

Xixax will continue, but at the same time I don't want it to change too much. This is home to me. I wish instead of the shoutbox there was a thread where we could post that stuff, because I feel if I'm not paying attention to the shoutbox I miss a lot, and it's hard for me to keep track of what's going on and who's responding to what. Maybe I am just getting old.

How can I personally improve Xixax? Watch more movies - and make a concerted effort to watch more new releases in the cinema - and write thoughtful posts about them and engage in debates. Too much over the past few years, I've limited myself to hollow excitement about upcoming movies and hyperbolic comments on whichever popcorn flick I recently caught on Redbox. Twin Peaks is a godsend right now. I watched The Clouds of Sils Maria a couple of months ago. I adored it and it's been haunting my thoughts ever since. But I never wrote anything about it. I'll rectify that. Soon. It's rare these days I get to enjoy films that do that. But when I do see them, I need to take the time to sit and think and write. I, Daniel Blake was another recent one that had an impact on me, but again, I didn't write anything - just shared the trailer and urged you guys to watch it.

Can we reach out to inactive members and encourage them to come back some more? What about shared Mubi/Filmstruck accounts so we all have access to quality films, and maybe do a monthly film club so at least we know there'll be some discussion?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

s/o to positive emotions. i believe in the pure energy of cinema, and this place as a temple for cinema. this thread, the most popular new thread, this thread is pure human. so everything essential is covered, and as long as the bills are paid here we are.

i'm going to quote Cicero and then transition into finishing my book by the end of the month as i said i would, in fact i already said that here, and there is what i say and what i do, and what Cicero said was--

QuoteThus it turns out that the beginning of motion is that which moves itself.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: Axolotl on August 14, 2017, 09:46:54 AM

Pretty much me too. I check the site daily. I wish I posted more, but I only really post when I feel like I have something to offer, and I don't really check the shoutbox all that much. A lot of times I'll just see one of you guys say something and I'll nod to myself in agreement, maybe give an upvote and move on with my day. I'm never really in the mood to give a hot take on a movie, especially since I'm not really seeing a lot of movies these days. I'm more likely to post about TV or news, but something has to either really blow me away, or be flying under the radar for me to want to post about it.

But yeah people have been talking about this site being dead for over a decade now, its like saying SNL isn't what it used to be, people have been saying that shit since season 2.

One thing's for sure...when new PTA hits we're gonna be eatin, fam.

Sleepless

This marquee could use a refresh, no?

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

I don't know, there were plenty of parts of season three I would still apply the label to.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

There was only one scene in The Return that I didn't like: Ben Horne aimlessly musing about his childhood bicycle.

Robyn

change it to "some of us loved twin peaks, even when it got terrible, some of us didn't think it got terrible, but still didn't like it, and some of us didn't even watch it"

The Ultimate Badass

After some thought, I think there are worse things than periods of inactivity on an internet forum. The discussion among a small group of people very passionate about a certain subject is superior to the discussion among a larger group of people discussing a subject when many of those in this larger group are not especially passionate about the that subject -- in other words, the internet. Xixax has stayed pretty pure since its inception. Threads aren't mucked up by trolls and morons spewing off-topic nonsense, like most other internet forums. I think Xixax has won with its tradeoff between inactivity and purity, and hyper-activity and triviality. Sometimes popularity can kill a site. Especially a message board.