Locations from PTA's films

Started by ksmc, July 20, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

cowboykurtis

Quote from: jokerspath
Quote from: Lanceyeah PTA totally ripped off short cuts. love magnolia, but was very smiliar to short cuts

I have a friend ...

aw

hahahahahaha... too much
...your excuses are your own...

Lance

i see your point with the pictures my friend, but that's very irrelevant. It is obvious that Magnolia is another degree of short cuts. the cop, the suicide attempts in the garage with the exhuast, the climax, chance, vignetts, very simliar. But in no way do i discredit Paul, just that Magnolia seemed to say that same thing's short cuts had said already, but with a slight change in style.

Pubrick

Quote from: Lancei see your point with the pictures my friend, but that's very irrelevant. It is obvious that Magnolia is another degree of short cuts. the cop, the suicide attempts in the garage with the exhuast, the climax, chance, vignetts, very simliar. But in no way do i discredit Paul, just that Magnolia seemed to say that same thing's short cuts had said already, but with a slight change in style.
clearly u don't get the relevance of the picture. for one, ur observations are about as old as the movie itself. two, this is the most random place to put them. and finally, hilariously, ur talking like anyone here is arguing with what ur saying, it's like u woke up from a coma and started randomly blabbing about whatever came to ur mind.. welcome to 1999 buddy, next stop: Everyone's Over It.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Lance, I see your point with the connection (obviosuly PTA is a huge Altman fan), but I don't think they're saying the same thing. The book cover may be similar, but what's inside is totally different. PTA is saying something completely the opposite of Altman, who is cynical to a fault (though, that's why I love him), and sees all his characters drowning in their soulessness (sp?). Whereas Paul can show remorse that in almost any other director's hands would have seemed overblown, yet he makes it work because I think he really believes people might just have a chance to work their shit out. There's so much more love and redemption and possibility in Magnolia that is in no way a part of the Altman universe. That's why it's so nice to have "similar" films from directors with such unique personal visions. We get to see both sides of the coin.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Myxo

Quote from: P
Quote from: Lanceyeah PTA totally ripped off short cuts. love magnolia, but was very smiliar to short cuts

Awesome.

Pozer

Quote from: P
Quote from: Lancei see your point with the pictures my friend, but that's very irrelevant. It is obvious that Magnolia is another degree of short cuts. the cop, the suicide attempts in the garage with the exhuast, the climax, chance, vignetts, very simliar. But in no way do i discredit Paul, just that Magnolia seemed to say that same thing's short cuts had said already, but with a slight change in style.
clearly u don't get the relevance of the picture. for one, ur observations are about as old as the movie itself. two, this is the most random place to put them. and finally, hilariously, ur talking like anyone here is arguing with what ur saying, it's like u woke up from a coma and started randomly blabbing about whatever came to ur mind.. welcome to 1999 buddy, next stop: Everyone's Over It.

of all the time you've spent here, do you not realize that you're the only one who thinks this way. can I ask why you get annoyed with everything? what's the point? it's so silly. Lances point was fine, there was nothing wrong with it, hence sonowthen responding to it. but to you, you felt the need to respond with what you did. I just don't understand why you get so annoyed and it's annoying that you do so that's why I ask.

Peace

Cecil

Alethia

and what does mutiny smell like?

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardand what does mutiny smell like?
a broad
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

like the seafood section at piggly wiggly.

Quote from: poserof all the time you've spent here, do you not realize that you're the only one who thinks this way.

nah, we all think that way. its just that p is usually the only one w/ the balls to say it outloud. so shattup, u poser.

xclark

does anyone know where the intersection from Magnolia is?  the one where Jim rescues Donnie at the gas station?

every time I drive down Magnolia I look for it, but haven't seen it yet.

thedog

Quote from: xclarkdoes anyone know where the intersection from Magnolia is?  the one where Jim rescues Donnie at the gas station?

every time I drive down Magnolia I look for it, but haven't seen it yet.

I too thought it was on magnolia. Until someone showed me the way...

It's on the corner of Reseda blvd. and Sherman Way. Like I said in my previous post, you can find the donut shop "Miss Donuts" about two or three blocks east of that intersection on Sherman Way, next to the Vons. Visit both! dude!

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: ©brad

like the seafood section at piggly wiggly.

Quote from: poserof all the time you've spent here, do you not realize that you're the only one who thinks this way.

nah, we all think that way. its just that p is usually the only one w/ the balls to say it outloud. so shattup, u poser.

the clique strikes again!!!! :roll:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

©brad

chainsmoking insomniac

Sorry dude.  I just call them as I see them.  :wink:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls