Grammy Awards Nominations

Started by MacGuffin, December 04, 2003, 02:41:33 PM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Poutkast won.

i'm confused, does this mean they suck? :yabbse-huh:

Have no fear.  I think the fact that Andre 3000 finished his acceptance speech by saying, "Stank you! Stank you! Stank you very much! You're smellcome," means that it's still okay to like them.

godardian

Quote from: hacksparrowKid Rock fans may disagree but Radiohead is doing the most interesting stuff in rock music today.

Mmmm, that's pretty presumptuous, isn't it? Or are you prepared to back up the generalization you seem to be making that one must like Radiohead to have taste or intelligence? I despise Kid Rock and most everything he stands for, yet I find Radiohead pretty darn uninteresting for the most part. Luke Haines is doing the most interesting stuff in "rock" music today.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Actually, I'm doing the most interesting stuff in rock music today. Nobody knows about it because I'm THAT avante-garde. Yeah!

But seriously, I love Radiohead, but I wouldn't call their music "rock", exactly...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: hacksparrowKid Rock fans may disagree but Radiohead is doing the most interesting stuff in rock music today.

Mmmm, that's pretty presumptuous, isn't it? Or are you prepared to back up the generalization you seem to be making that one must like Radiohead to have taste or intelligence? I despise Kid Rock and most everything he stands for, yet I find Radiohead pretty darn uninteresting for the most part. Luke Haines is doing the most interesting stuff in "rock" music today.

I was simply making a reference to the fact that Kid Rock had toilet paper with "Radiohead" written on it in one of his videos.  It's quite possible that one can be a fan of both but I was just referring to that little jab he put in his video.

A lot of people find Radiohead uninteresting but I don't know... compared to more popular groups like Linkin Park and System of a Down, it just strikes me as more impressive and refreshing.  I guess Radiohead is to their fans what mathematical theory is to mathematicians: they find it very exciting and brilliant, but no one else could give a shit.

And since I haven't heard Luke Haines, and since people called me on the "rock" thing, I'll rephrase my quoted statement:

Kid Rock fans may or may not agree with me, for it is entirely a matter of their own personal taste, but Radiohead is doing the most interesting stuff that I personally have heard in, for lack of a better phrase, Currently Mainstream Yet Alternative Rock-Oriented Music today.

I found System of A Down's first album very enjoyable.
context, context, context.

modage

Quote from: hacksparrowA lot of people find Radiohead uninteresting but I don't know... compared to more popular groups like Linkin Park and System of a Down, it just strikes me as more impressive and refreshing.
well, compared to most of the stuff on the radio that gets played, radiohead are probably more interesting than most of it, but shit man, its the RADIO!  the radio is terrible.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

hey, i like Radio! better than TV!

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: hacksparrowA lot of people find Radiohead uninteresting but I don't know... compared to more popular groups like Linkin Park and System of a Down, it just strikes me as more impressive and refreshing.
well, compared to most of the stuff on the radio that gets played, radiohead are probably more interesting than most of it, but shit man, its the RADIO!  the radio is terrible.

Yes it is, but there's a lot of indie bands/artists that have little or no exposure that suck just as much as (or more than) the stuff on the radio.  And on the flip side of that, just because something is on the radio or MTV, it doesn't automatically mean that it sucks.

I'm positive that every day, somewhere in the world, there are people pushing the limits of music, blurring the lines between genres (or not) and to great effect.  I just personally have never heard many in recent times, nor do I know how to find them unless someone recommends them to me.

But ultimately, it comes down to personal preference which can't really be argued, just attacked or defended. I have this joke with my friends about Radiohead which stemmed from my quip one night that Beatlemaniacs are (DISCLAIMER: my intent is NOT to offend anyone's religious beliefs or musical preferences) the Born-Again Christians of music fandom because the fans think they're the musical messiahs and have a valid argument.  

We went down the line of different major bands and finally stopped on Radiohead.  I thought about it for a while and said that Radiohead fans are the Scientologists of music fandom (REPEAT: I am NOT trying to offend anyone in any way), because we all believe that this is the way music should be heading but everyone else thinks were crazy.

godardian

Quote from: hacksparrow

I haven't heard Luke Haines

Look no further than here for info and tidbits, then waste no time doing yourself the favor of hearing at least something by one of his projects. And no, he doesn't pay me, I just believe him to be surpassingly brilliant and sharp- a real latter-day Phil Spector (minus the murder, so far at least). He's a master of instrument, sound, melody, and lyric, smart as a whip and talented as Spector, Bowie, and Morrissey combined. Almost anything by him is better than almost anything by anyone else.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Quote from: godardianAlmost anything by him is better than almost anything by anyone else.

Not with this mofo around!

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: godardian...Bowie...

You said the magic word.

You're not Luke Haines, are you?   :wink:

Sanjuro

"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

MacGuffin

CBS apologizes for Grammy act
From Associated Press

CBS has apologized to American Indians angered over a Grammy Awards performance by OutKast that featured frenetic dancing, feathers and war paint — which some called racist and degrading.

"We are very sorry if anyone was offended," said Nancy Carr, a CBS spokeswoman in Los Angeles.

As the final act of the Grammy telecast Feb. 8, OutKast's Andre "3000" Benjamin and several members of a dance troupe swirled wildly around a green tepee as he sang his "Hey Ya!"

Indians across the country were angered by the performance, which they say was disrespectful to their culture and a perpetuation of tomahawk-and-tepee stereotypes.

The San Francisco-based Native American Cultural Center called for a boycott of CBS, the Recording Academy and OutKast.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

haha, oh great.  the world is now officially terrible.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.