Come On

Started by Victor, March 04, 2003, 04:38:00 PM

Victor

here's a crazy little shit I whipped up last week.

if i shoot it, im not gonna sell it, itll be for my own enjoyment, thats why the music is so specific, i could never buy it. But if you dont know what songs im talking about, you probably wont enjoy it as much, the two are interdependent. Anyway, enjoy, comment.

COME ON.

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY.

CU - SKYE (17). She stares blankly, off into space, just past the CAMERA, holds it....she looks to the left for a second --

CUT TO:

TITLE CARD: Come on.

CUT TO:

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY (SAME).

CAMERA pushes quickly down the aisle to find Skye, sitting next to her friend PARKER.

PARKER
Come on, its gonna be great.

SKYE
Nah...

PARKER
Come on. Skye...

SKYE
I dont feel like it, y’know, Im, not in the mood.

PARKER
Youre never in the mood.

SKYE
That’s not true.

PARKER
You never even leave your house.

Skye looks down.

PARKER
It’s gonna be fun.

SKYE
No...

PARKER
Mol’s gonna be there.

SKYE (looks up, into CAMERA)
Mol?

CUT TO:

INT. PARTY - NIGHT.

The SONG, “ZERO”, by Smashing Pumpkins, is BLASTING.

MOL (early 20’s) walks up to the CAMERA, TITLE CARD: MOL -- on his chest for a second.

MOL
Hi.

NOTE: This WHOLE COVERSATION will be in SUBTITLE, because the song is so fucking loud.

Skye is obviously glad he’s talking to her.

SKYE
Hey, how’s it going?

MOL
Y’know, hanging out, same shit, working...sucks.

SKYE
Where do you work?

MOL
Guitar Center. Its alright its just, you know.

SKYE
Yeah I know what you mean...

MOL
Arent you still in school?

SKYE
Yeah, but I work, Ive had jobs...

MOL
How old are you?

SKYE
Old enough.

They smile. BEAT.

MOL (into CAMERA, matching the song)
Wanna go for a ride?

CUT TO:

INT. CAR - MOVING - NIGHT.

Another Pumpkins song, “Tonight, Tonight”, is playing, but lower now, you can hear what’s being said.

Skye is in the back seat, making out with Mol.

Driving the car is RICK (22), very fidgety. In the passenger seat is HEATHER (16). She stays quiet, probably stoned.

RICK (talking fast, there’s much room for improv)
I was thinking yknow I was thinking like. Systems yknow, and uh, like religion and, morals. and everything uh - everything society does to PROGRAM you, its to fit you into a slot yknow to define who you are before you even know who you really are so you NEVER know who you fuckin’ are. Thats all bullshit, thats all bullshit and I know that. You gotta FIND who you are, you gotta be natural, you gotta THINK for yourself man. Yknow what Im saying?

Heather stares out the window.

RICK
Mol - Mol HEY, hey MOL.

MOL (breaking the kiss)
WHAT.

RICK
You know what Im saying?

MOL
Motherfucker YOU dont even know what youre saying, just keep your eyes on the road.

RICK
Asshole.

SKYE
Is he okay?

MOL
Yeah, he’s just, a little hyper.

Rick scratches his neck.

MOL
He just needs to relax. We all need to relax. Know what Im saying?

SKYE
Yeah, I know what youre saying.

They both smile, they resume making out, a bit more passionately now.

Rick continues to ramble to Heather....

MUSIC fades up, drowns out everything...

Heather is still looking through the window.

CAMERA sees out the window. Colorful lights and everything, its beautiful.

Rick glances out the window and smiles.

CAMERA pushes in on Skye and Mol in the back seat. They pull away for a second, look into each others eyes...shes free, slightly dazed and happy.

MUSIC CUTS OFF.

RICK (OC)
FUCK.

*CRACK

Skye and Mol are JERKED FORWARD. FREEZE FRAME at the moment of impact, we hear the LOUD CRASH over the frozen image.

FADE TO BLACK.

CUT TO:

INT. SKYE’S ROOM -DAY.

It’s weeks, maybe months later. Skye lies in bed, staring blankly at the ceiling...there are scars on her face.

BEAT.

The phone rings.

Skye keeps staring...after a few rings acknowledges the phone and picks it up.

SKYE
Hello.

INTERCUT;

PARKER
Hey.

SKYE
Hi.

PARKER
Hey. Hey, listen. A few of us are going out tonight, we’re gonna go out, eat somewhere, maybe rent a movie and chill at someone’s house or something. Do you want to come?

SKYE
No.

PARKER
Look. Skye, I know...I know you havent really been out since the crash but...itd be good for you. Yknow? I think itd be good for you, to get out, have some fun. I mean, cmon. Yknow? Itll be fun. Cmon.

SKYE
No thanks.

PARKER
Skye --

Skye hangs up.

Parker looks at the phone, then off to the side.

Skye limps back into bed, resumes staring at the ceiling. She turns over, looks slightly past CAMERA.

CAMERA pushes in on the phone.

CAMERA pushes in on Skye.

The phone RINGS.

CAMERA lands ECU on Skye. She stares for a second, then looks to the left real quick.

CUT TO BLACK.

SONG, Thursday - “Understanding In A Car Crash” kicks in.

CREDITS

end.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Jon

Cecil

holy shit, thats pretty good. i liked it alot. i thought at first that it wasnt such a good idea to have the car crash, but with what actually happens afterwards... wow. i really liked it. you gotta shoot this and post it here so we can see it.

Xixax

(obscure internet meme mode ON)

I think you should name it "Why You Throw Chip?"

(obscure internet meme mode OFF)
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

UglyApe

I like it, but the freeze frame with the sound still going sounds a little sitcom-y.   Maybe I'd have to see it.   I like the names of the characters.   It's like a living word problem.   I dig on it.
I AM the Pumpkin King!

RegularKarate

Man... I just feel like I'm completely missing something here.  I even downloaded the Thursday song so I could listen to it again and see if I could figure something out.

What's the deal-i-o?

sphinx

Quote from: RegularKarateMan... I just feel like I'm completely missing something here.  I even downloaded the Thursday song so I could listen to it again and see if I could figure something out.

What's the deal-i-o?

i suspect the song implies that a car crash occurs immediately after we cut to the credits

Victor

i suppose the title 'understanding in a car crash' imples that she will go out, she will be talked into it, she eventually has to go on, come to an understanding of this event, although she will never be the same ("I will never sleep again/ill never even close my eyes"). But i wanted to keep it ambiguous, so you dont see her pick up the phone and accept/decline. but you do see her consider it, thats something right there.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Xixax

Too bad the song we're going to use for the video competition isn't about a car crash. You'd have your treatment.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Pedro

Quote from: Lester
MOL (into CAMERA, matching the song)
Wanna go for a ride?

Hmm...I see that as quite...I'm not sure.  I don't think that would work...would it?

OmegaSlacker

When the guy looks into the camera and says "Wanna go for a ride?", that could either be a really cool moment, or it could come off hilariously bad.

And I really hate to rain on anyone's parade, because I always imagine myself getting top shelf songs for my stuff, but I doubt you'll have the means to get the rights to that song (I'm figuring you're hoping to film this at some point or another).
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.