ELF

Started by Banky, June 22, 2003, 06:16:24 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: GhostboyThat whale/unicorn named Norwall or whatever is totally awesome. I don't know what he was or what he was doing there, but his appearance was a stroke of genius.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but if it's "Narwhale" (or Narwhal), it's a real animal...

Okay, now I'm gonna stay out of this thread for a while... I need to see this movie soon before every joke ends up in the trailers.

Gloria

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: GloriaI think this is proof the christmas season starts as soon as November rolls around.

yes, according to idiots all across the globe.

I did not mean that in a negative way.  :?

Anyways, I'm glad the movie did well on a Matrix weekend.

cine

Saw this movie this evening. I didn't laugh at everything Ferrell did, but as GT pointed out, I was smiling in nearly every scene. The cast was great and I thought James Caan was on the money with every scene. Watch him during scenes with those paper decorations. By the time he was swatting those things down in the bedroom when he was arguing with his wife about him, I was laughing so hard about it. It was such a comical little gag that just got funnier to me for some reason. Peter Dinklage stole the movie with his scene. I won't even get into the joke for the sake of people like RK but that was the funniest scene. Deschanel's final singing scene gave me goosebumps. She was great for the movie.
Did anyone catch the Fargo reference at the end of the snowball fight scene? I loved that.
This was a very lovable Christmas film that I'll probably go and see again in December.

MacGuffin

Zooey Deschanel Sings for Santa

The weather outside is frightful, but Zooey Deschanel helps make the climate inside movie theaters delightful in Elf. But it wasn't all cheery holiday fun. The 23-year-old co-star of The Good Girl was required to lighten her brunette hair to play Will Ferrell's love interest, and she insists blondes don't have more fun.

"It is all a lie," Deschanel says emphatically. "I'm never going to be blonde again. I'd much rather be a brunette."

Even if she disliked her makeover, the starlet enjoyed heating up Elf with a toasty rendition of the classic tune, "Baby, It's Cold Outside." And hey, this girl can actually sing! "I started out doing a lot of musicals," she reminds us. "So it was cool that I got to sing in a movie."

In fact, Deschanel keeps her vocal cords up to snuff by performing in the Los Angeles area with her cabaret act, If All the Stars Were Pretty Babies. "We perform like twice a month when I am home," she enthuses. "It is really fun, and we do old standards and we dance and sing. I'll go back and forth — I'll focus on [the cabaret act], and then, I'm psyched when I go off to do a movie, because I've been working on this other thing."

Seems unlikely that Deschanel will have a chance to get bored any time soon, as she gets plenty of variety in her film offers. While receiving critical acclaim for her work in indie films like All the Real Girls and Manic, she's also happy to do a big-budget studio comedy like Elf. "I love Christmas movies," she says, probably thinking of the tidy deposit she just made to her Christmas Club account. "I love the idea of a movie that could come back year after year, and that people would watch again on Christmas. It might hopefully get them in the Christmas spirit."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Just saw it and loved it... this guy gets better every time... I though I wasnt going to like it but I did... a lot

ProgWRX

I saw this last night and I have to say i loved it too. Then again im a huge Will Ferrell fan...

"You sit in a throne of lies!"
-Carlos

MacGuffin

Call me a Scrooge, but I thought it was just alright; cute, but not particularly laugh-out loud funny or cheery. Maybe it was because all the jokes were in the trailer that I've seen numerous times so I knew what was going to happen in and how the scene would end. Deschanel was radiant, and what Buddy saw in her came clearly across. Guess I'm on the Naughty list.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

i thought it was perfectly okay, too.  the scenes without ferrell were annoying, particularly the "save christmas" ending.  but he was hilarious, i just love him.  just like pta to john c. reilly, i could stare at ferrells face all fucking day, he kills me.  i loved the north pole scenes though, they were brilliantly designed.  and i still laugh out loud everytime i think of "owww, SON OF A NUTCRACKER!".......yeah lol it was okay

Banky

HOLY shit ELF made 27 million this weekend.  It made like 32 mill last weekend.  That shit is amazing.  Wil Ferrel's stock, as if it isnt high enough, is going to go way up.   I cant beleive Revolutions only made 16 mill.  You know somebody at WB is getting fired.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: BankyHOLY shit ELF made 27 million this weekend.  It made like 32 mill last weekend.  That shit is amazing.  Wil Ferrel's stock, as if it isnt high enough, is going to go way up.   I cant beleive Revolutions only made 16 mill.  You know somebody at WB is getting fired.

That seriously just made my day.

Ghostboy

Banky

your happy the matrix failed?

Gold Trumpet

MacGuffin

Quote from: BankyYou know somebody at WB is getting fired.

It has nothing to do with Warner Bros. They did a great job of marketing it. Judging my the audience reactions I've heard and the critics not exactly praising it, I'm not surprised. Hell, even our discussion thread has died.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Quote from: Bankyyour happy the matrix failed?

I loved Matrix Revolutions, and I wish people had been more receptive to it -- but I'm really, really glad that Elf is doing so well. I think it totally deserves it.