The Last Samurai

Started by MacGuffin, May 12, 2003, 11:13:16 AM

Pas

Quote from: Bankyman people are saying some kinda harsh shit about this film

People say harsh shit cause the movie was horse shit.

©brad

so should i see this thing or just wait for video?

Finn

I'd say wait for video. In fact, watch the fantastic last 30 minutes and skip the movie.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ravi

Quote from: ©bradso should i see this thing or just wait for video?

If you are going to see it at all, see it first on the big screen.

I liked the movie, but I was a little skeptical that Algren could learn so much in a few months when the samurai are immersed in this culture from childhood.  But as someone who isn't an expert on Japanese culture or history, I enjoyed it.  Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise, so I wonder if someone else would have imbued the role better.

Banky

man go see the move and judge it  for yourself

cowboykurtis

Quote from: taz.he got braces? i knew not of that one.

leg braces -- polio -- sad state of affairs.
...your excuses are your own...

Pozer

I've been hearing nothing but great things about this movie in real life.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: poserismsI've been hearing nothing but great things about this movie in real life.

are you implying that this isnt REAL life -- you lousy fucking scoundral.
...your excuses are your own...

Thecowgoooesmooo

Overall I thought it was a pretty good blockbuster epic war film... It was entertaining...

I cringed at allot of the dialogue, and a few other things.

The worst thing I thought about the film, was the ending. Edward Zwick had a great ending for Glory, not only was it moving, it was just an amazing note to end on.

spoiler.....
At the end battle scene, when The Last Samurai was barely alive (Tom Cruise), I thought the film was going to end. And if this would have happened, it would have been great. It was a very moving scene, and we see the enemy with tears in their eyes, having a great respect and maybe even feeling like they just made a grave mistake by wiping out their ancient culture. Instead, the film keeps going to a drawn out scene with the emperor and then cruise walks in, changes the emperors mind, blah blah, naration, blah blah, end credits. I thought the ending was terrible, but anyways I have this feeling that maybe the battle scene might have been intended as the ending to the movie, and maybe it was changed by the studio, director, producer, who knows, but we will find out come dvd time, if this is true.

on a side not: i didn't pay to see this, i snuck in to the theatre, i would only recommend this film if you snuck into the theatre, i knew the film wasen't worth 7 bucks, but i still wanted to see it

chris

Alethia

nix

My nustshell review:

The best thing about the film was the visuals (of course this is so often the case with expesive hollywood epics). Cinematography, art direction, and costumes were all incredable. There were a few obvious CGI shots, though.

As far as the story goes: I really like the concept, and the structure felt about right. The only time it drug was in the last ten minutes or so (scenes that were all unnecessary). The dialogue was pretty inconsistant but I forgave some of it because of the period setting. And what the hell was the deal with the British narrator? Why do we need that?

I thought the acting was all prety good. As lots of people have complained, it's hard to forget that Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise, but he did a nice job. Ken Watanabe(sp?) was amazing.

And for anyone who says it's not worth the money, I say the Ninja sequence alone is worth the price of admission.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Gloria

I thought this movie was okay.  I wish they would have ended it better, (like taking the last 30 minutes out.).  I didn't like the obvious manipulation of emotions.  The soaring soundtrack that basically was a cue to the audience "you're supposed to be emotionally moved right now." I was a little frustrated with that.  The cinematography was really beautiful to watch.  Tom Cruise was pretty good, but I don't think he will be nominated for an Oscar.   All in all, I don't recomend it, but I didn't hate it.

modage

i liked this movie.  i didnt love it, but i'd give it a B.  i did think the narration was a little pointless, (not to mention confusing that one guy was narrating sometimes and tom cruise other times), and the story was very familiar seeming (even though i havent even seen Dances With Wolves yet) and some of the music did seem to be really beating you over the head with "get emotional now", BUUUUT.  i liked all the characters, i love tom cruises INTENSE acting, i liked that it was a movie with action but one where it wasnt meaningless 'plot' shoved inbetween the fighting scenes but characters that i cared about, and i thought some of the battle scenes were really cool, as were the settings.  i was hoping it mightve been a little better, but i'd still say it was an enjoyable watch.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

markums2k

I had fun.  Saw it for free.  If you have an interest in it already, go see it on the big screen.  A movie like this... it has been carefully and specifically DESIGNED so you will have an 'ideal movie experience'.  Laugh, cry, cheer... you know the drill.

pete

the guy who played the second samurai in command, the one taht kept on beating up tom cruise, was Hiroyki "Henry" Sanada.  If you're a Sonny Chiba buff then you'll know this guy, he was trained by Sonny Chiba since he was a kid.  He played the kid version of Sonny in Executioners.  He was also in Sonny Chiba's "kage no gundan" (where the Hattori Hanzo character of kill bill originated from) in the 80s.  What else, he had a pretty meaty part in Royal Warriors with Michelle Yeoh in Hong Kong.  My friend just told me he was the lead in shogun assassin.  I didn't even put the two and two together, but yeah, that's how badass he is.

he toured with the royal shakespeare company within the last few years and played The Fool in King Lear.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton