Ghostbusters 3

Started by Sleepless, September 04, 2008, 09:14:05 PM

tpfkabi

I don't know about this one.
I have never found Leslie Jones funny. I only know her from SNL.
If you find her funny, tell me which skits.
Wiig and McKinnon are OK at times.
Is St Vincent the only McCarthy movie I've seen?
Speaking of St Vincent...Bill 2 time Garfield-ing Murray, are you happy?
What's so bad about GB 2?
Venkman hanging out with the baby and creepin on Weaver is worth the admission alone.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Reel

I don't know either.
Leslie Jones is very bombastic, but I can't say I find her funny.
She certainly has a unique look, though.
Wiig and McKinnon made the trailer.
I don't think I need to see McCarthy in any more parts for awhile.
Two Exorcist references in one trailer? Are horror comedies ever going to be finished with that?
The ghouly neon green trail following everything seems to soften up the look of the Ghosts and make them more Disneyfied.
What worked about The Marshmallow and Slimer in 1&2 is they're kinda cute but downright Terrifying.

Drenk

Ascension.

Tictacbk

Fwiw, here's an Australian trailer, now with more Chris Hemsworth! It's slightly different, and somehow feels way less terrible.

Jeremy Blackman

Ooh. That does look about three times better.

Maybe a more reliable indicator is Spy, which by most accounts was a very good action comedy.

The backlash against the feminism should be entertaining to watch. Actually no, no it won't.

polkablues

It looks fine, I think. It's a Paul Feig comedy, and it looks like it slots right in with all of the other Paul Feig comedies that he's made.

Unfortunately, between the chorus of unrestrained misogynists and the people who fetishize the original Ghostbusters far beyond its actual worth, any rational, non-hysterical analysis or expectation is getting completely drowned out. The most entertaining thing will be watching the steam shoot out of these dudes' ears when the movie turns out to be a massive financial success.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

it's not accurate to say "all of the other Paul Feig comedies that he's made" as if his movies have equal value. Spy is better than The Heat.

it's accurate to say Ghostbusters with women is bothering men and that's absolutely ridiculous.

Jeremy Blackman

This could be a Trump-like litmus test. Who in your life has irrational sociopolitical anxieties?

polkablues

Quote from: jenkins on March 09, 2016, 02:10:10 PM
it's not accurate to say "all of the other Paul Feig comedies that he's made" as if his movies have equal value. Spy is better than The Heat.

That's true, but it's a difference of degree, not of kind. My point is that you generally know what to expect of a Paul Feig-directed movie, and this one doesn't appear to break that mold. It will be within the bounds of quality one can expect from familiarity with its brethren.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

i adore how a tidy close has been a recent wave within Xixax. things have recently been being well said. i'd say (i'm not in the wave) the mold of Feig exists within the overall mold of Hollywood narrative culture, and that within this setup the audience knows when things get intense the filmmaker will stay with you to the end. the fear of "betraying" the audience maintains an overall comfort of safety within the Hollywood filmmaking tradition, and i agree with and want to see the ghosts who don't know nothing about no narrative tradition. i mean, that sounds realistic to me.

in terms of feminism, my current perspective mostly came to me from Gus Van Sant's Milk:

QuoteDan White: You have an issue.
Harvey Milk: It's more than an issue. This is our life we're fighting for.

feminism, it's not my issue, so how can i be against it? what is it that i want, for women not to have what i have? "feminism is for everybody" is the most sane and simple way i can think to describe this, and during my conversations i hope i remember this.

but, you know, culturally speaking there's voice to support Feig as a mold breaker indeed. it's a bit silly to a sensible person, i think, to say women as Ghostbusters is a topic that should require some debate, but it's happening, and Feig dgaf. so, props. and i think many of us will go see this movie anyway.

modage

I have to jump in and take umbridge with the "all other Paul Feig comedies" thing because

Freaks & Geeks >>> Bridesmaids >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Heat, Spy.

If you meant "recent Paul Feig" then yeah, it' looks in line with the last couple movies.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

this is the formula i like:

seeing this Ghostbusters > not seeing this Ghostbusters

but i think it's already provided some things to talk about. thanks for the new Australian trailer Tictacbk

Jeremy Blackman

Decidedly not a good sign:

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 23, 2016, 12:13:43 PM
Decidedly not a good sign:

zero indication of the quality of the movie.
Firstly, it's obviously a forced studio decision. They HAD to put a cover of that song on the soundtrack. Who knows if it will even be on the movie outside of the closing credits.
Secondly, everyone LOVES to pretend that the original ghostbusters theme was a good song. It wasn't. It's a dumb, shitty song that people love for nostalgia reasons. The only reason it's catchy is because it stole a catchy hook from a slightly better song.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarate on July 01, 2016, 11:15:55 AMzero indication of the quality of the movie.
Firstly, it's obviously a forced studio decision.

Fair enough, but it's just as likely that whoever at the studio exerted their exceptionally bad taste with this abomination of a song exerted said influence elsewhere in the movie.

And who let women in this thing, amirite?

(I actually don't care about this movie either way, though.)