New DVDs???

Started by Keener, September 10, 2003, 07:33:57 PM

Gamblour.

Man, I've been reading all this madness, without the intention of getting this soon, and I got it for my birthday yesterday!
WWPTAD?

Pozer

i did exactly what mac did.  they told me they ran out but have more now and will ship out today.  will get to me most likely monday, tuesday at the latest. 

Ravi

They told me that they would ship mine Monday or Tuesday by UPS.

MacGuffin

From The Digital Bits:

We've got a couple of more things of note for you this evening: First, Warner has issued a statement regarding the missing theatrical version on its new Eyes Wide Shut discs. Here's what they have to say...

"On October 23, 2007, WHV released the Special Edition of Eyes Wide Shut on standard definition DVD, and on HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, and as part of the 6-Title Stanley Kubrick Collection. It may be that some members of the press were inadvertently informed that the Special Edition release of Eyes Wide Shut included both the rated and unrated versions of the film and/or only the rated version of the film. In addition, some initially shipped product also was inadvertently labeled as containing both the rated and unrated versions of the film. The Special Edition release of Eyes Wide Shut contains only the unrated version of the film. WHV has taken steps to correct any possible misunderstanding in the marketplace by affixing to the packaging stickers stating "This package contains ONLY the Unrated Version of Eyes Wide Shut." and "Not Rated: Includes Unrated Version Only.""

That's probably not what some of you really wanted to hear, but it's certainly what we expected. We've also got confirmation from Video Business today [see below] on something we reported yesterday, specifically that Warner's recent switch to a new software fulfillment/distribution system is causing delays in shipping titles to retailers and the media. A number of retailers are indeed reporting problems getting adequate stock of Warner titles, and the studio has acknowledged the issues. However, the problems are expected to be ironed out in time for the studio's release of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Blade Runner: The Final Cut in December.

By the way, there's still no word yet about the possible special edition re-release of Kubrick's Lolita and Barry Lyndon, but we've asked the studio about the titles and hope to hear more soon.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6494895.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

I could care less about having the rated version, but what happened to the EWS commentary? Sydney say something he shouldn't have?

modage

who the fuck wants the rated version!?  are they serious?  its not a different edit, its just no stupid figures covering up all the good bits!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

word must be getting out on the deal - the Kubrick box is now number 2 on their bestsellers.

my account still just says "in fulfillment"
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SiliasRuby on October 27, 2007, 04:19:55 PM
Quote from: modage on October 27, 2007, 12:09:07 PM
who the fuck wants the rated version!? 
GT?...j/k

Well, Kubrick said he didn't see the big difference between the rated and unrated version. I agree with him, but I'd still prefer the unrated version. I want my bad movies to have as much nudity as possible.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on October 28, 2007, 05:00:54 PM
GT?...j/k

Well, Kubrick said he didn't see the big difference between the rated and unrated version. I agree with him, but I'd still prefer the unrated version. I want my bad movies to have as much nudity as possible.

do you have the exact Kubrick quote on this?
all i could find by searching was Harlan relaying this after his death.

all in all, it's only 65 seconds.
as talked about it as it is, this special edition should have had a feature where you had split screen comparison or at least played the scenes back to back to see how it was changed.
all i've seen is the censored and that's been too long ago to even remember the difference when i see the unrated version.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on October 28, 2007, 07:37:42 PM
GT?...j/k

as talked about it as it is, this special edition should have had a feature where you had split screen comparison or at least played the scenes back to back to see how it was changed.
all i've seen is the censored and that's been too long ago to even remember the difference when i see the unrated version.

Christianne Kubrick did an interview for EWS and said that Stanley said this. Yea, Harlan was with her for some interviews. Even though Stanley never did an interview for EWS, I think his wife's word is pretty good. I also don't have an exact quote. I was relaying it from memory.

Fernando

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on October 28, 2007, 08:59:30 PM
Quote from: bigideas on October 28, 2007, 07:37:42 PM
GT?...j/k

Christianne Kubrick did an interview for EWS and said that Stanley said this. Yea, Harlan was with her for some interviews. Even though Stanley never did an interview for EWS, I think his wife's word is pretty good. I also don't have an exact quote. I was relaying it from memory.

Kubrick never saw the uncut or censored version of the film, he showed HIS cut without the digital figures to Tom, Nicole and the executives of WB and that's the only cut he ever did, the rating problem came way before he died so he couldn't possibly agree with those digital figures because he never knew about them.

Now, Harlan said several times that SK was aware of the R rating delivery but never lived that to make those changes ( :yabbse-sad: ); also I remember Leon Vitali saying that had Kubrick lived he would have edited the scene and would not add the digital figures, but he wouldn't make those changes out of respect of Kubrick's cut.

As far as Christian saying that I don't remember hearing or reading about it, and like GT all I've typed I'm relaying it from memory.

In the end, those digital figures don't really matter and doesn't affect the film, if anything it shows how stupid and narrow minded the MPAA is, and all these what ifs about Kubrick doing or not doing something will get us nowhere, the man didn't live to see those problems.

Pubrick

thank you fernando.

i don't understand all this talk about kubrick approving the black figures. that never happened and never would've for the reason vitali said.

it almost sounds as if some of you still have no idea what this "unrated" version really means. it's THE SAME SCENE but with maybe 3 or 4 less cloaked figures in the way of the more explicit (but still completely soft-core) simulated sex acts. there are no cuts. the differences have been available to view on the internet since the movie came out on dvd years ago.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

i've never thought it was cut and always knew there were digital figures.
it would be nice, for me personally, to see the changes back to back as some kind of dvd extra.

to the familyvideo orderers,
does your account still say "in fulfillment" or has it changed to something like "shipped?"
nowhere on there site, at least that i can find, do they define exactly what they mean by "in fulfillment."

Gold Trumpet

I thought I was correct, but hey, can't be accurate about everything. My memory did not have the details that Fernando's did. Fernando's always been an excellent contributor for the Stanley Kubrick forum and that was an excellent post, so kudos.