Mr. Show

Started by sphinx, April 11, 2003, 05:51:10 PM

Fishbulb

Dude, no offense, but you really don't know what you're talking about. "Mr. Show" is one of the most inventive and funniest sketch comedy shows since Monty Python. If you look at 99.999 percent of what is produced as "comedy" on television today and then look at "Mr. Show", there really is no comparison. David Cross does not do an effeminate Southern voice in every Mr. Show sketch. Bob and David rarely repeated characters, I think they did two separate characters maybe twice in four seasons worth of shows. You would be hard pressed to even find an individual Mr. Show sketch that is similar to another Mr. Show sketch. The breadth and scope of what they did on that show blows away anything that's on TV now, certainly current period SNL. All Mr. Show fans I have ever encontered are pretty discriminating about their comedy, they are usually people who seek out material that is different and challenging. I would hardly call them people who "hate stuff that is really funny".  What do you consider funny? Maybe that will shed some insight into all of this.
Unless you were just trying to post something controversial to get people riled up, in which case well done.

RegularKarate

Mr. Clause posted something similar on the old board when he was someone else who changed his name all the time.

All about the "gay souther voice"... to which myself and many others replied.  Letting him know how wrong he was... evidently he hasn't watched it since, otherwise he would note that he was indeed wrong and maybe have to admit he didn't know what he was talking about.

godardian

My favorite thing is the "Imagineering" guy and the New San Francisco sketch... which I believe all took place on the same show... classic.

Can't wait for season 3 DVD. Missed 'em all the first time 'round.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

Tofooty break!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: bonanzatazTofooty break!

...and then the crushed/angry/confused expressions of people who just want to do their work...   :lol:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

"all these goats are retarded"

soylent greenish

"have a circus peanut."
and "i like to call them OPPORTUNITYSTAKES"

Ernie

Hell yea that show rules. I'm one of the people that got into it with the dvd...never had hbo when they were on. I just thought david cross was so funny and I heard bob odenkirk was funny so I decided to buy it really really blindly and I just ended up loving it...it's better than snl and especially Monty Python which I think is horribly overrated...I'm too stupid to like Monty Python.

My favorite stuff is any of the stuff w/ music...I think David Cross truly has a  surprisingly great fucking singing voice...I love "the joke:the musical", "the third wheel", "fuzz:the musical", and "jeepers creepers"...they are hilarious and cool to listen to.

Anyway, can't wait for the next seasons, I kinda like not knowing what to expect but are they as good as the first two?

picolas

Quote from: ebeamanAnyway, can't wait for the next seasons, I kinda like not knowing what to expect but are they as good as the first two?

every episode's better than the last.

classical gas

Has anyone heard if and when season 4 will be on dvd??

Sleuth

the commentaries are being recorded by the end of this month
I like to hug dogs

classical gas

Stefen

I heard David Cross was releasing a new album today. Has anyone heard anything about this? There isn't anything on bobanddavid.com. A new David Cross album would be awesome.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

You're about 2 weeks early

5/4/04

Sub Pop of course.

Stefen

Quote from: RegularKarateYou're about a week early

Do you have a website confirming there is a new album coming?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.