Guardians of the Galaxy

Started by MacGuffin, February 19, 2014, 08:32:08 AM

MacGuffin

Release date: August 1, 2014

Starring: Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Zoe Saldana, Benicio Del Toro, Djimon Hounsou, Michael Rooker, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close

Directed by: James Gunn

Premise: In the far reaches of space, an American pilot named Peter Quill finds himself the object of a manhunt after stealing an orb coveted by the villainous Ronan.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

james gunn has his troma history (wr: tromeo and juliet), which means he's from the holy kingdom of awful taste, he wrote the dawn of the dead remake and scooby doo 2 in the same year, which kinda boggles me, his wr/dr slither has a solid rep, his wr/dr super is fun enough, and now he's making a marvel movie

hollywood mysterious fascinating. idgi, i don't fully get how things like this happen or why, it strikes me as an underdog hero movie from its marrow. a mass audience movie made by and for the submass. into this

feel unexpectedly off grid here (xixax) and there's probs some kinda cosmic reason this trailer appeared today. looks pretty bad, right? nothing like superman or batman or peeps like that, and i'd say the humor isn't crackling. it's marvel related in a wtf way. this is the kind of thing i like

picolas

the trailer is distinctly unfunny, but i believe the editor could have mangled the timing. i'm cautiously excited.

diggler

It's hard to judge the humor with the way it's presented here, my guess is that they just wanted to establish the tone.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

polkablues

Quote from: picolas on February 19, 2014, 01:39:40 PM
the trailer is distinctly unfunny, but i believe the editor could have mangled the timing.

On the contrary, Pratt and Serafinowicz are killing it.

Leave it to James Gunn to make the first Marvel comics movie I've been interested in since... man, I don't know, the first Iron Man?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

Some unadapted outlaws trying to save the world. Chris Pratt. A raccoon. I like this trailer a lot.
Ascension.

Axolotl

I think any movies with talking raccoons and trees in them should be encouraged.

Mel

Film (at least in trailer) is very self aware:
- "Star-Lord who?" is as much a question from audience.
- Groot not fitting in frame.
- blurred out Fuck gesture.
- Music from headphones.

This could be a very good thing for a comic book film.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Sleepless

Looks amusing. I think I'd enjoy this more than Avengers. Only problem is I hated Pratt instantly.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SailorOfTheSeas

"Awesome Mix Vol.1" Can't help but feel thats a reference to Boogie Nights there?

Mel

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

jenkins

you people are left and right fucking up your theatrical years. turn off your tvs, tell your mother you love her, and in this world to feel like a seed in the wind all you gotta do is to go the multiplex. the to go the multiplex. go the multiplex to. ahem. be safe, be aware of your blockbusters, and call your mothers, please. be safe everyone xx

Fernando

This may very well be Marvel's best film yet along with the 1st Cap America.

as someone that didn't know these character by 1/3 of the film I felt I knew and cared for them.

my only quibble would be some of the music choices, other than that it was a perfect summer movie.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

As a film buff, I say this is the most punk rock big budget film we're ever going to see be popular, at least it'll be a rarity.
The Marvel brand and the connections to those movies got asses in the seats.
The movie was a pastiche of western, comedy, space opera, blah blah blah, and hit some familiar story beats that weren't that original, but I was okay with that. The tone was fucking great, and it didn't let me down.

Ups:
Performances
Aesthetic
Pace
Music
Main characters had chemistry

Downs:
"Meh" Villain
ANOTHER final battle that takes place in the air from Marvel?
Probably more I can't think of, but this was certainly enjoyable enough that I ain't gonna quibble that much