are you gonna eat with us too?

dufresne

his best?

2001: A Space Odyssey

my favorite?

Full Metal Jacket
There are shadows in life, baby.

ShanghaiOrange

A Clockwork Orange - The scene where Alex kicks his droogs' asses is the best fight scene ever.

2001 - When Dave is an old man in bed, and the monolith is in front of him, and the music starts to swell, I lose it.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Crash

Dudes, Clockwork Orange seriously ripped my guts out... in a bad way. I think there wasn't a point to the movie. I mean yeah it kinda had a plot but what was the point? Were all the rape scenes necesary? Did Stanley have anything to say? or did he just want to get away with showing the worst thing someone can do to another person. but to give him props I loved the whole part when the dude killed the chick with giant penis. not the actual action but how the camera zoomed down into her face and then it cut to the artwork of someone's mouth. i thought that was pretty genius. I was really blown away by the whole monkey scene but mostly when the ape kills the other ape with the bone and also how he found out how to use it. 2001 (as my buddy jonny says) rocks my socks! whatever director can get away with only using 40 min of actual dialouge? But I wish my buddy jonny would've covered my eyes when we the main charecter rapes the chick in the mansion like he did at the very last scene of Boogie Nights when Dirk pulls out his wang. anyway....
"Drum roll please...I'm gonna be a screenwriter! Like you!"

Keener

I find I prefer different movies at different moods. There can be no set best for me.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Pedro

Quote from: CrashDudes, Clockwork Orange seriously ripped my guts out... in a bad way. I think there wasn't a point to the movie. I mean yeah it kinda had a plot but what was the point? Were all the rape scenes necesary? Did Stanley have anything to say? or did he just want to get away with showing the worst thing someone can do to another person. but to give him props I loved the whole part when the dude killed the chick with giant penis. not the actual action but how the camera zoomed down into her face and then it cut to the artwork of someone's mouth. i thought that was pretty genius. I was really blown away by the whole monkey scene but mostly when the ape kills the other ape with the bone and also how he found out how to use it. 2001 (as my buddy jonny says) rocks my socks! whatever director can get away with only using 40 min of actual dialouge? But I wish my buddy jonny would've covered my eyes when we the main charecter rapes the chick in the mansion like he did at the very last scene of Boogie Nights when Dirk pulls out his wang. anyway....
I'm sorry to say.  But GT and just about everyone else are going to tear you to pieces.

Gold Trumpet

Crash: or Oklahoma, as I shall prefer to call you from now on,

There is a point to the muddled frenzy you saw in A Clockwork Orange. You had problems with the aggressive nature in Kubrick showing the worst of the worst in the character Alex. But cheer up and let your stomach get better because there is a point. Storywise, the movie speaks for the first part to the adventures of a pyschotic teenager and in the second part, he is caught and jailed for his crimes. The third part is the rehabillitation he must undergo in order to get out of jail for what he did and in turns, gives up his basic human rights of emotion. Emotions that the state feels will turn him to do wrong again. In this, Kubrick identifies what he believes society may end up doing in the future and that is a bringing of a harsh code in order to keep itself surviving and not being drawn out from outside influences. It is the pure opposite of anarchy. The showing of the violent acts in a very high tone at the beginning was basically to make the audience hate Alex, which in turn made the audience get mad at themselves when they began to sympathize with him after he underwent the "treatment". The idea brought up emotions that many audience members couldn't stand feeling or thinking about, and that was uhumane treatment to a person deemed unhumane by their own consensus. The heavy stylization plays to how the movie is a fable, in the sense that all of Alex's victims seemingly are the ones that get their revenge on him and like role reversal of Alex from bad guy to victim, we see it in Alex's former victims as well. The stylization shows the world beyond the bare realism of the story so it doesn't look absurd, which a fable may seem when spoken naturally. I didn't rip crash apart personally, but I did my best with his argument though.

~rougerum

chainsmoking insomniac

Damn Trumpet, well said.  And Oklahoma, I will personally tear you to shreds. Whether your 'buddy's there or not. :twisted:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pozer

There will be no tearing of the shreds today my brothers

viddy well

brockly

I think Clockwork, but not by far. 2001/fullmetal are at equal second.

Crash

wow, thank you so much for that explanation. it seriously made a lot more sense to me. cuz i for knew that i hated alex and i hated how he was so biased with his drooges. And i did sympathize with him at the end. I think the most graphic scene is when alex has to lick the bottom of that dude's shoe. that just showed me the lowest a person can get it. i think stanley's a master. but nonetheless, i never want to see it again. kinda like Dancer In The Dark: it's a really good movie but it really kicked the crap out of me. it drains you and so my buddy jonny says that he has to have a full meal before he watched it so that he can take it. i mean there's a reason why it was banned from the U.K. anyway, thank you gold trumpet you really did help me. and i hope you don't "shred me to pieces" cuz i'll have to tell my buddy jonny and he has a cousin who's a security guard at the mall so watch it....    :P
"Drum roll please...I'm gonna be a screenwriter! Like you!"

cowboykurtis

just to let you know, i eat mall security gaurds for breakfast.
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Quote from: Crashand i hope you don't "shred me to pieces" cuz i'll have to tell my buddy jonny and he has a cousin who's a security guard at the mall so watch it....    :P

What's he gonna do? Give GT a ticket for going 10 miles an hour in the parking lot? Not let him have free samples at the food court?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Link

Mall security guards rock my silver whistle with the yellow string.  I don't think Kubrick necessarily had to show so much.  Yes, it gets a certain effect, but what I would admire more is if he could get the same effect withOUT doing that.  Kinda like in Magnolia.  Did Anderson have to have Mackey say all those things?  No, but he wanted us to see what a sleaze he was.  But I wish he could've done it another way.  How?  Beats me.  But that's okay.  A Clockwork Orange is pretty brilliant.  Though I don't think it's his best.  2001 kicks bootay.  I mean, c'mon, it's so freakin boring, yet so brilliant!  I dunno.  I think it's his best, most artistic film.  But still, my FAV film of his is Eyes Wide Shut.  Never thought it would be, but it is.

Love,
Jonny