Started by Raikus, February 07, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

cine

Special Features:

Disc 1: Star Wars: A New Hope IV
Feature Film: Star Wars: A New Hope IV
Commentary by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

Disc 2: The Empire Strikes Back V
Feature Film: The Empire Strikes Back V
Commentary by George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher

Disc 3: Return of the Jedi VI
Feature Film: Return of the Jedi VI
Commentary by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

Disc 4: Bonus Disc includes the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced on the Star Wars saga
and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films, and much more.

tpfkabi

has George stated recently that the original versions of the films will never be released to DVD?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Myxo

Quote from: CinephileFinal artwork for the box set.

I wonder how much better Lucas' prequel films would have been had he let somebody else direct them as he did with Episode 5 & 6.

MacGuffin

Source: Digital Bits

We have even more detailed information from retail sources this morning on the content to be included on Disc Four of the Star Wars Trilogy (due 9/21). According to FYE, the disc will include:

Star Wars: The Independent Films feature length documentary - The story of Star Wars is the story of the most successful independent series film ever produced. It's the story of a Hollywood outsider named George Lucas and a low-budget labor of love space saga that defied the odds and reinvented the rules. It's the story of a revolution born of a dream. It's the story of an independent filmmaker who had to innovate and invent an entirely new way of creating motion pictures. It's the story of a fundamental paradigm shift in the creative process made, not by the studio system, but by a single filmmaker with a simple dream. (150 min.)

The Evolution of Characters featurette - Get an in-depth look at how all your favorite characters came to be with exclusive concept art and discussion with George and the people who shaped what ultimately became out favorite heroes and villains. Includes a separate still/video gallery cut to Star Wars music with access to artwork and classic scenes for each major character. (30 min.)

The Influence of Star Wars featurette - Without Star Wars, there would be no... The groundbreaking special effects that were pioneered to make Star Wars movies not only helped viewers escape to a galaxy far, far away, but they changed the way every movie was made thereafter. Experience never before seen effects innovations from the films and learn how pivotal the films were to modern effects wizards and filmmakers. (20 min.)

Lightsabers/Fights featurette - Forget laser pistols, the lightsaber is the coolest weapon in the Star Wars galaxy. What were George's influences for creating the lightsaber? How did Mark Hamill, Alec Guiness, and Darth Vader stunt people approach wielding a saber? How did the effects guys figure out the lightsaber beam? How did each fight escalate from the previous one? And what influences did this creation have on movies thereafter? (10 min.)

1977 Featurette - Transport people back in time to the opening of each Star Wars film. Menus will showcase all the pop culture features from the 1977 opening such as: TV references, toy ads, promotional partner commercials, news clips, songs inspired by Star Wars, Star Wars magazine and newspaper coverage, classic video game demos. (20 min.)

Star Wars Battlefront X-Box Video Game Demo (15 min.)

Teasers and Trailers from the original theatrical releases of each of the movies along with the 1997 re-releases. (15 min.)

TV Spots from the original theatrical releases of the movies along with the 1997 re-releases (5 min.)
Episode III Behind the Scenes Preview
Section One - The Creator: Finally the birth of Vader. George talks about finally bringing Vader back to the series and teases about Anakin's descent to the Dark Side and the powers of seduction in play. Section Two - The Costume: Black is back. For the last Star Wars movie ever and the birth of the ultimate villain, a new costume was forged. This segment answers some key questions: who created it? was it made for Hayden? Section Three - The Actors: Finally I get to become Vader. Key interviews with the cast (including Hayden) and crew sharing their thoughts and experiences about working on the last Star Wars film and finally seeing the completion of the Saga. (10 min.)

Stills - A comprehensive gallery of posters from around the world, classic artwork, and never-before-seen photos from all three films (approximately 300 images.)

DVD-ROM Features - DVD ROM link to exclusive Star Wars website.

So there you go... certainly sounds interesting. By the way, each of the movie discs will also reportedly include a credit roll Easter egg. Just so you know, all of this does jive what we've heard from other retailers recently, so it sounds like the real deal. Throw in the audio commentaries we've reported on previously, and you've got a nice little package.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: Digital Bits
The Influence of Star Wars featurette - Without Star Wars, there would be no... The groundbreaking special effects that were pioneered to make Star Wars movies not only helped viewers escape to a galaxy far, far away, but they changed the way every movie was made thereafter... (20 min.)

Are they seriously going to do a piece on the special effects that they drew over?  what the fuck?

cine

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ravi

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

That top image is, supposedly, an actual shot of Ian McDiarmid as Emperor Palpatine, newly inserted into The Empire Strikes Back in place of the original actor (bottom image). This pic has been circulating around the Net for a few days now. The split screen comparison you see here was created by someone on one of the Star Wars fan boards (click here for the original post of the image, along with endless fan debate). But the image at the top (at least the actual face shot of McDiarmid) reportedly leaked from someone involved with the production. We had pretty much dismissed it... BUT. The interesting thing is, we've shown this image to insiders we know have seen the real work (three separate sources now), and they've independently confirmed that the scene HAS changed and that the top image (of McDiarmid in make-up) is authentic. One other scene we've heard is being revamped is the CGI Jabba scene from A New Hope. Look for the digital Jabba to be replaced by a much better looking CG version (likely based on the Episode I digital model of the character).

Tell you what... if this pans out, I don't mind either of these changes. Better still, I'd eat a whole freakin' herd of Bantha if Lucas would just restore the Han/Greedo scene in A New Hope so that Han shoots first again. Anyone care to join me? Cross your fingers, folks... and fire up the barbecue pit.

By the way, we've also been told by sources that the list of Trilogy 4th disc DVD extras circulated by FYE, Best Buy and other online retailers recently (and reported here by The Bits) is "not entirely correct". Like that original prototype DVD packaging from a few weeks ago, it looks like this WAS an early spec list for the disc, but it's not the final one. Hopefully, we'll get official details in the coming weeks.

grand theft sparrow

You know... the original Emperor in Empire... that wrinkly eye of his always freaked me out.

Just Withnail

Quote from: hacksparrowYou know... the original Emperor in Empire... that wrinkly eye of his always freaked me out.

Funny, those are monkey eyes, superimposed over an old woman's face.

Ghostboy

Really? That's awesome...looking at the still above, I can see it. I always just thought it was the actor (Clive Revill) in makeup.

I try to keep an open mind about these things, but that Ian McDiarmid version looks ridiculous. His old-age makeup in that shot looks about as convincing as Yoda did in Episode 1. His makeup in Return Of The Jedi was amazing...I didn't even know until Episode 1 was in production that he was a young guy wearing makeup.

cine

Fox have now released the final details on the Star Wars Trilogy which will be arriving this September. Firstly, we can confirm that each of the films will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX, English Dolby Surround, Spanish Dolby Surround and French Dolby Surround tracks. Each will be THX Certified, with the transfers remastered by the folks at Lowry Digital Images. As for extras, A New Hope will include a commentary by George Lucas, sound designer Ben Burtt, Industrial Light & Magic's Dennis Muren and actress Carrie Fisher. Empire Strikes Back will include commentary by George Lucas, director Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher, and Return of the Jedi will include a commentary by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren and Carrie Fisher. We've attached further details on the fourth disc below:

Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy
This two-and-a-half hour documentary traces the evolution of the saga, from a low-budget labor-of-love space saga to the movie phenomenon that defied the odds and reinvented the rules. This comprehensive documentary features all new interviews with George Lucas and more than 40 members of the cast and crew from the original trilogy, as well as a host of filmmakers and media personalities. Empire of Dreams also includes some never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage from the making of all three of the now legendary Star Wars films.

Episode III Behind the Scenes Preview: The Return of Darth Vader
Finally, Star Wars: Episode III will reveal just how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader, the most iconic villain in film history. In this exclusive preview, George Lucas discusses Anakin's descent, with a first look at the new Vader costume forged for Episode III. Also, experience how Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor have prepared for the epic lightsaber battle that has been anticipated for more than two decades: the climactic showdown between Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The Birth of the Lightsaber Featurette
Its unforgettable hum and scintillating glow are instantly recognizable around the world. Now, viewers will discover the origins of this elegant weapon from a more civilized age in this lightsaber documentary.

The Characters of Star Wars Featurette
An in-depth look at how favorite characters came to be, featuring rare concept art, behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with George Lucas and the cast and crew who shaped the screen's favorite heroes.

The Force Is With Them: The Legacy of Star Wars
The Star Wars films opened up a galaxy of possibilities to a generation of filmmakers and creative talents. This feature allows you to hear from some of the most notable filmmakers of our time about how influential the Star Wars movies have been to their lives and work.

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer and Playable Demo
The fourth disc will offer a trailer featuring an exciting look at the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront video game from LucasArts, along with a special demo for Xbox users that lets players fight the Battle of Endor as a Rebel or Imperial soldier and drive AT-STs, ride speeder bikes and use different weapons to lead their side to victory. The full version of Star Wars Battlefront be released Sept. 21 for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC.

Star Wars: Episode III Making the Game Preview
Video-game players will be able to experience the stunning Jedi action of Episode III themselves in the new Star Wars: Episode III game, due out in Spring 2005 for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. This special feature shows how game developers at LucasArts worked behind-the-scenes and on the set to create the most authentic Jedi experience ever.

Original Trailers and TV Spots
You can expect the original theatrical teaser, launch and re-release trailers for each of the films, plus TV spots, to be featured on the DVD.

Never-Before-Seen Production Gallery
Delve into an unseen corners of the Lucasfilm Archives with exclusive photos from the making of the trilogy, with hundreds of rare images.

Posters and Print Campaigns
The original Star Wars films came at a time when international campaigns produced a wealth of intriguing, alternative poster art. Explore a collection of theatrical posters from around the world.

Exclusive DVD-ROM Content
The Star Wars Trilogy DVDs are keys that unlock exclusive content available only through a special DVD-ROM website.

.. Only FIVE months away....... :multi:

modage

Quote from: CinephileEpisode III Behind the Scenes Preview: The Return of Darth Vader
Finally, Star Wars: Episode III will reveal just how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader, the most iconic villain in film history. In this exclusive preview, George Lucas discusses Anakin's descent, with a first look at the new Vader costume forged for Episode III. Also, experience how Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor have prepared for the epic lightsaber battle that has been anticipated for more than two decades: the climactic showdown between Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
i really hate how they always do this.  and i cant believe theyre actually doing this for this set.  making us wait all these years for a 'definitive set' and then fucking dating it so badly with some lame 5 minute EPK for the new film which will be obsolete the minute the movie comes out and belong nowhere but on the episode 3 disc.  unless they were doing a short special on the life of all the prequels (which woudl still be unneccesary) this is lame.   also funny how theyre giving us a version of the films we've never seen before.  (did they really think that star wars geeks honestly wouldnt notice further changes?  like, all they do is live these movies.  did they really think swapping the emperor out wasnt going to make waves?)   now that i've got my complaining done, i cant wait to buy this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I'm surprised that Carrie Fisher is the only member of the cast involved. I'm sure Mark Hammil would have had nothing better to do on the day they recorded these.