Original Star Wars Trilogy to be released on DVD

Started by Raikus, February 07, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

nix

Almost all of the directors on this list have several really good films under their belts.

Tim Burton - Beetlejuice, E.S., The first Batman, Ed Wood. Sleepy Hollow is okay.

Lucas - In my opinion he's directed two good movies. He does indeed suck now.

Kevin Smith - The Good - Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma. He doesn't have just one note, the above films prove that.

Bret Ratner pretty much sucks.

Singer is hit or miss. The Usuall Suspects is a very good film. Period. Apt Pupil, and X1... eh. X2 was an improvement.

The one I disagree with the most is Avary. Both of his films are great. He's proved that he wasn't riding on QT coattails. He's the real fucking deal.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Kal

Original 'Star Wars' Episodes To Debut on DVD Next Year
7 November 2003 (StudioBriefing)
Reports began circulating widely on the Internet Thursday that Lucasfilm will release the original Star Wars trilogy (Episodes 4, 5, & 6) on DVD next September. At the same time, numerous websites were disclosing that they had received word from participants in a Lucasfilm conference at San Francisco's Presidio that they had been told the trailer for the latest -- and final -- episode of Star Wars will appear in theaters in January 2005, prior to a May theatrical release and a November home-video release.

Ghostboy

Quote from: bigideas

does anyone know just HOW involved he was in the ones he didn't direct?

He was very involved with both of them, but he exerted more control on Jedi. With Empire, he mainly stayed in California during production and supervised the special effects. When he saw some early assembly footage, he freaked out and recut it all. Everyone convinced him that his new cut was terrible and later he calmed down and agreed.

He said in some interview that he directed the prequels because it was to hard to achieve his vision with someone else in control.

Duh...

Alethia

funny, the best one he had the least control on.......(empire)

Banky

Quote from: Bankyit makes since that he had so little to do with the best in the franchise

Quote from: ewardfunny, the best one he had the least control on.......(empire)

?

Alethia

Banky

I have a friend who works at a post-production facility in London which has been used for ADR/voice over work for Attack of the Clones. This person told me that Ian McDiarmid came in recently to do ADR work for Episode 3 and The Empire Strikes Back - this must mean he is redoing the voice of the Emperor (actor Clive Revill) that appears as a hologram to Darth Vader. Lucas may also redo this hologram effect for it to like like Ian Mcdiarmid. I presume this is all for the upcoming DVD's of the original trilogy.

Hope this helps

respec'

modage

The Star Wars rumor mill continues with a very juicy story currently breaking across the web. Apparent inside sources have leaked that Lucasfilm and Fox Home Entertainment will announce the original trilogy this Tuesday, February 10th, as a four-disc box set due on September 21st. We contacted Lucasfilm to see what truth there is to the story, who replied that they have made "No official announcement" of a release, and Fox Home Entertainment has no comment. So until Tuesday, expect message forums across the world to continue to rage, and watch this space for an update as soon as we get any further information.

oooh, four whole discs for three movies!  wow, dont hurt yourself there lucasfilm.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Find Your Magali

Well, from the sales of the Indiana Jones boxset, I guess they now see that a limited amount of extras is all you need for massive sales. I mean, they already KNOW it will be one of the best-selling DVD sets of all-time, so why knock themselves out?

(I'm speaking from their viewpoint, certainly not mine.)

MacGuffin

The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD September 21
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

"Star Wars Trilogy," one of the most-requested DVD episodic film franchises, is expected to be released as a four-disc DVD box set Sept. 21, with a global rollout on DVD expected within days of the domestic release, according to Lucasfilm Ltd. and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

The trilogy featuring the classic franchise films "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" will be released on three DVD discs, with a fourth disc likely to hold a newly made documentary about the "Star Wars" franchise and never-before-seen footage, among several other bonus materials, said Jim Ward, Lucasfilm's vp marketing and distribution and the DVD trilogy's executive producer.

"We are currently in the process of restoring and remastering all three titles for the DVD release, so we're still working on details of the marketing strategy," Ward said. "But I believe that it is safe to say that it will receive tremendous exposure across all media."

Lucasfilm and Fox chose the September release date to maximize on holiday gift buying during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn said.

"We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he said. "With that in mind, we designed our release strategy to pick the best release date that had the most gentle sales curve decline on home video, and that's how we got to the September release date."

Combining huge consumer demand for the "Star Wars" franchise with being first out of the gate during the busy fourth-quarter home video market, Fox and Lucasfilm are hoping to cash in on DVD sales throughout the holidays and up until the theatrical release of "Star Wars: Episode III," which set for release nationwide May, 25, 2005, Dunn and Ward said.

Each of the three films in the "Star Wars Trilogy" has been digitally restored and remastered by THX for sound and picture quality, Ward said.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer," Ward said. "On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the 'Star Wars' films in a fresh and fun way. We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the "Star Wars Trilogy" will be sold exclusively as a collection at a still-to-be-determined retail price and not separately, Fox executives said. However, retailers have been known to break up collector's DVD box sets and sell individual titles after the first month out on store shelves.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After years of waiting, hype and hope, the rumors can at last be laid to rest: the holy grail of DVD will finally be released this September. Yes, it is the original Star Wars trilogy: Episodes IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

While a full press release has yet to be issued, both Lucasfilm and Fox Home Entertainment confirmed today that the trilogy will touch down on September 21st as a four-disc set, available in both anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, containing the three films plus a bonus fourth disc with extras, a la the top-selling Adventures of Indiana Jones set released late last year. The films will not be sold separately, at least initially, according to Fox representatives.

While the long-held rumor was that George Lucas would wait until the completion of Star Wars Episode III, due in theaters in May 2005, to release the original trilogy on DVD, Lucasfilm VP of Market Jim Ward revealed today that Lucas "found some time" in his schedule and "was willing and eager to make it happen."

Today's announcement came early and without finalized specs due in part to the intense anticipation amongst consumers for the titles. "We are currently in the process of restoring and remastering all three titles for the DVD release, so we're still working on details of the marketing strategy," revealed Ward, not before adding with knowing understatement, "but I believe that it is safe to say that it will receive tremendous exposure across all media."

According to Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn, both the studio and Lucasfilm arrived at the September 21st date to gain maximum exposure during the holiday season: "We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he explained. "With that in mind, we designed our release strategy to pick the best release date that had the most gentle sales curve decline on home video."

While the full details on what extras will be included in the set are still pending, Ward promises that Lucasfilm "are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the 'Star Wars' films in a fresh and fun way. We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time." He also confirmed that rumors that Lucas would not contribute new audio commentaries to the set are false, although there are as of yet no exact details on which films will receive commentary tracks, and who will be among the participants.

Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally wanted to make."

So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997 editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

Quote from: MacGuffinJim Ward

that's also the name of Sparta's leadsinger, innit?
context, context, context.

Ravi

I guess I should buy those Asian bootleg DVDs if I want the originals.

A Matter Of Chance

The new Entertainment Weekly (#752) says:

The 4 disc Star Wars DVD set will compromise the 1997 special-edition versions (now on VHS), and will rename the original 1977 film Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, just thought I'd give it a try.

tpfkabi

Quote from: RaviI guess I should buy those Asian bootleg DVDs if I want the originals.

are these the ones that were taken from the laserdisc versions?
i'm guessing they're high quality, widescreen?
did laserdisc have 5.1? i totally missed the laserdisc boat, so if it's a dumb question, sorry.

does anyone else hate the new ending to RotJ? i love the song that ended it before, "celebrate the love"(?i think?), but the SE had a totally different song and ending
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.