Original Star Wars Trilogy to be released on DVD

Started by Raikus, February 07, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

Ravi

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=4931&n=1&burl=r%3D0%26s%3D1

From IMDb.com

Fans Discover Glitch in 'Star Wars' DVD Soundtrack

Fans of John Williams are up in arms over an apparent glitch in the new Star Wars DVD set in which the left and right channels fed to the rear speakers in surround sound are reversed in the original Star Wars movie (Episode 4). John Takis, who frequently analyzes film scores for Internet groups, points out that the violins can be heard coming from the left surround-sound speakers and the cellos from the left. "It is essentially a 124-minute audio glitch," Takis writes on the John Williams fansite, www.JW-Music.net. "The sound effects are correctly positioned in the surround channels. It's just the music that's backwards." Takis also takes issue with other aspects of the sound mix for the original movie. "Remember the awesome fanfare version of the Force theme that kicks off the Death Star battle?" he writes "Good luck hearing it this time around—it's virtually inaudible."

Dtm115300

Hey just a quick question. I hear somewhere that ILM edits all their films on their editing software. One which they made. Anyone know if this is true?

MacGuffin

Carrie to reveal Star Wars secrets

Carrie Fisher has let slip that she's set to reveal the secrets of the original Star Wars films in a behind-the-scenes expose of the original sci-fi trilogy.

Actress-turned-novelist Fisher, 48, revealed that she kept a detailed diary during the late 70s and early 80s.

It includes the time she played Princess Leia Organa opposite Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill.

She explains, "My publisher has told me not to talk about it... oh, what the hell. When I was in Star Wars, I kept diaries. Big books full of what went on, what I thought, what I did. I am going to write them all up as a narrative. It will be riveting. Once I get started, that is. I'm months behind already."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

At the Celebration III convention in Indianapolis this weekend, George Lucas let it slip that a new DVD box set of all 6 films is in the works, possibly to include an all-new bonus disc containing deleted scenes from the original trilogy. Expect no further changes in the films themselves. In addition, don't look for a high-definition release of the films in 2007. Lucas also confirmed that the digitally-screened version of Episode III will be slightly longer than the traditional film version. You can read more from The Force.net. Note that the story contains what some may consider to be a slight spoiler about the upcoming film...

C3: More from George Lucas at Media Q&A

At the end of his presentation, George Lucas took part in a media Q&A backstage:

*The all digital version is longer, I believed he metioned a dagobah scene in that version but not in the regular theatrical version.

*He confirmed 2 TV projects: One is continuing with the Clone Wars cartoons and the other is the live action series.

*Another box set is in the works: Looks like a 6 disc box set with all episodes 1-6. Possibly a 7th disc, maybe with deleted scenes from the original trilogy. He was asked if he would be changing things again in the movies, prequels or original. He replied that everything is the way he wants them now. As far as the rumored super archival edition due out in 2007 on super hi-def dvd, there is no truth to that.

*He really wants to rerelease the OT back in to theatres via the new 3-D technology.

*No episodes 7, 8, 9.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

Why release a longer, digital edition of the film? Is this some lame attempt to promote digital projection?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin*Another box set is in the works: Looks like a 6 disc box set with all episodes 1-6. Possibly a 7th disc, maybe with deleted scenes from the original trilogy.
WHAT....A....BASTARD.  :yabbse-thumbdown:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

life_boy

Quote from: MacGuffinHe was asked if he would be changing things again in the movies, prequels or original.
He replied that everything is the way he wants them now.
Quote from: themodernage02WHAT....A....BASTARD. :yabbse-thumbdown:  

MacGuffin

Old Star Wars Gaining New Dimension
Updating the trilogies for 3-D.

George Lucas is forging ahead with the painstaking process of adapting all six Star Wars films to a three-dimensional format. According to various reports, the films could be ready for re-release in 3-D within two or three years. According to earlier comments made by George Lucas, a one-film-per-year schedule would also be a possibility, allowing more time to convert the traditionally-filmed original trilogy.

Does seeing Star Wars in three dimensions add to the experience? Lucas and producer Rick McCallum seem to think it does. After viewing 3-D test footage from Episodes II and IV, McCallum had this to say: "The images have just been startling [in] quality, especially if you have a big science-fiction or effects-laden action movie. You start to see things that you just couldn't see in the 2D version."

At least 1500 cinemas worldwide will probably need to be capable of screening the new format in order for the movies' conversion and release to be viable. That's a far cry from the 460 or so cinemas outfitted for 3-D that currently exist. McCallum anticipates that number growing by leaps and bound, however, with countries like Ireland, Britain, and China all constructing hundreds of 3D-ready cinemas over the next few years.

Now Playing Magazine takes a look at the conversion of Star Wars in their latest issue, with Industrial Light & Magic's Dennis Muren giving some insight. Although ILM is not doing the work themselves, Muren has been looking in on the process.

"You know, this post process that this company is doing, it works. The guys that run it, hundreds of people sit there and they make decisions about what should be close [to the audience] and what should be far, and they rotoscope and outline them and the computer sort of throws in [as well]. I don't need to be a part of that. It just happens. It's a service. You pay them X amount of dollars and they give you back your movie in 3-D. They haven't [fully] done Star Wars yet, but they've done parts of Casablanca and Wizard of Oz. They did part of one of the early Star Wars films – they did a lot of things for the demo. And it looks great."

For all his involvement with Hollywood's latest computer-generated effects, Muren feels that 3-D is where the excitement is right now. While CG extends what was already being done before, 3-D adds a new facet to film and creates an experience that can't be replicated with a television and DVD player at home.

"I don't know if you have seen many great 3-D presentations, but they're just amazing and that can really bring you much more into a film than what you're seeing now. And when digital is in place in the theaters, that's going to pretty much be it. The glasses are small and lightweight, you don't get headaches anymore, it looks amazing, [and] you can design effects scenes in depth."

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

modage

Original Unaltered Star Wars Trilogy on DVD!
Source: Lucasfilm May 3, 2006

Lucasfilm has announced that this September fans can look forward to the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic "Star Wars" trilogy!

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi." Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy "Star Wars" as it first appeared in 1977, "Empire" in 1980, and "Jedi" in 1983.

See the title crawl to "Star Wars" before it was known as "Episode IV"; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. The international release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Wow, that's a lot sooner than I was expecting. I'm glad I never bought those eBay editions now.

Oh -- and goddamn you, Lucasfilm!

grand theft sparrow

IF this is true, they're just going to show up on the inevitable giant 24 disc special edition of the whole saga that will come out sometime next year that no one is talking about. 

But why take a chance?  I never bought that ET with the original version on it and I've been kicking myself ever since.  Because of that, I can't throw my laserdisc player out.

Ravi

Quote from: hacksparrow on May 05, 2006, 11:58:13 AM
But why take a chance?  I never bought that ET with the original version on it and I've been kicking myself ever since.  Because of that, I can't throw my laserdisc player out.

The 2-disc DVD of ET has both the original and the walkie-talkie-CGI edition.  I see it all the time in used DVD stores.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ravi on May 05, 2006, 12:58:21 PM
Quote from: hacksparrow on May 05, 2006, 11:58:13 AM

The 2-disc DVD of ET has both the original and the walkie-talkie-CGI edition.  I see it all the time in used DVD stores.

I haven't seen it anywhere in a long time, just the walkie-talkie edition.  But I'll keep looking.