Welles, Orson

Started by modage, June 10, 2003, 03:36:08 PM

tpfkabi

http://www.wellesnet.com/Ambersons%20video.htm

i wish someone would make take the Criterion laserdisc of Magnificent Ambersons and make a bootleg DVD. i want to see it so badly.

for those that have seen it, does it have a lot of the same visual flare as Citizen Kane, i.e.; interesting transitions, camera angles, etc?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

UncleJoey

Yeah, it uses a lot of the same Deep Focus style you see in Citizen Kane. I can't really comment on any specifics since I saw it in a pretty poor environment, but from clips I've seen since, there's a lot of interesting cinematography to watch for.

However, the film did seem more subtle stylistically than Kane, but again, I wasn't able to watch it as closely as I would have liked and could be wrong about that.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

SiliasRuby

Just watched 'the third man'. Great film. Orson wells does a wonderful cameo. Citizen Kane is fantastic. I'm really hoping to see the magnificent ambersons soon.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

cine

Quote from: SiliasRubyJust watched 'the third man'. Great film. Orson wells does a wonderful cameo.
not much of a cameo, really..

Quote from: SiliasRubyCitizen Kane is fantastic.
hmm should i buy it?

Quote from: Cinephile
hmm should i buy it?

do so, and don't you forget to post about it!
context, context, context.

Ravi

Quote from: Cinephile
hmm should i buy it?

Buying Citizen Kane is overrated.

MacGuffin

[JeffWilson of thedigitalbits.com] about THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, any update on the status for this? Last I heard you were looking for better elements? Also, any plans for JOURNEY INTO FEAR (1943)?

[WarnerHomeVideo] Deja vu! We're still looking for great elements on AMBERSONS & JOURNEY.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: flagpolespecialwhat's the best edition of 'touch of evil' to buy

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305999872/qid=1115723428/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl74/103-5245078-6772610?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

does anyone own this edition or can vouch for or suggest a better edition.

thanks.

bookmark these sites:
http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/film/compare.htm
http://www.dvdcompare.net/
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

well, i thought i was going to be able to see Magnificent Ambersons.
i noticed it was playing on Turner Classic Movies last Wednesday, so i asked two people i know to record it (to make sure i got a copy of it). well, one couldn't get ahold of their husband in time and another didn't set the VCR right to record.
blast.
this needs to be on DVD yesterday.

(love was such an easy game to play)

modage

1. get tivo. its cheap and it will change your life (even if you dont really watch tv).

2. get the kind with a dvd burner attached, (its not that expensive and thats pretty awesome, no?)  

then it will never forget to record and you can burn yourself a copy on dvd.  vhs sucks. :yabbse-thumbup:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: flagpolespecialdoes anyone own this edition or can vouch for or suggest a better edition.

That's the one you want.  Terrific movie, too, BTW.

2LB
Body by Guinness

tpfkabi

how was it?

my town's cable co. actually added TCM. i looked to see if they're playing Magnificient Ambersons anytime soon. July 1st:

http://turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/Article/0,,89424,00.html

Gamblour.

I just watched F for Fake. The first hour is such a jumbled up tapestry of fakeries, it's hard to stay attached. It flows and poses interseting points, but very difficult. The last half an hour is just great, very playful, as Bogdanovich puts it. Did anyone buy/see this? I blind bought it the other day. Not entirely pleased, but at least it's very intriguing cinema.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

The following is from an on-line chat with executives from Warner Home Video, held on Monday, February 26th on The Home Theater Forum.

[PeterNichols] All's well that ends Welles... My subject is Orson Welles. When will WB release The Magnificent Ambersons and/or Journey Into Fear? Or heck, any other Orson Welles related stuff? Including HD.

[WARNER] We have finally found good elements on AMBERSONS, and plan to release both AMBERSONS and JOURNEY in 2008.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Peter Bogdanovich: "Showtime has greenlit work to finish Welles' THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND"
Source: Wellesnet.com

Craig Weinstein and Drew Reiber, two Wellesnet correspondents in Florida wrote to report that Peter Bogdanovich appeared at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando last night (March 30th) and announced that Showtime's long simmering deal to finance the completion of The Other Side of the Wind has finally been consummated.

Apparently the contract was signed last week, and while on the surface, this is very good news, as with anything pertaining to OSOTW there are many obstacles that still may appear. However, there is little doubt that this is a giant step foward in getting the film completed. 

As Bogdanovich told Weinstein and Reiber, "We now have a lot of work ahead of us."  That work will begin with taking inventory of all the footage that has been locked away in a Paris film vault for over 30 years. 

Bogdanovich's plan is to attempt to assemble the footage as closely to Welles original vision as is possible. He outlined his approach in the Searching For Orson documentary: 

BOGDANOVICH: This is Orson Welles only unrealized film project that could possibly be completed without the great man himself. There are many arguments to support this hope. But my goal would be to work with everybody who worked on the picture, Oja Kodar, and anybody who was around a lot. Frank Marshall was there for quite a while, so I would ask them what they all remember, and we would all pool are memories of what Orson had in mind. The idea would be to try and get as close as we can to what Orson had in mind, following the script and following notes that he made, and things he said to Oja about writing the script, and things he might have said to me. There's a certain rhythm (in the film) that he obviously had in mind, and we'd try to get to that kind of  rhythm, depending on the scene and also depending on the things we know about Orson.

Skeleton FilmWorks