any ryan adams fans?

Started by abbey road, May 21, 2003, 03:41:41 PM

tpfkabi

it's not just me. almost every response/review i've read of the album mentions that part. the actual idea of adding reverb at that moment is pretty cool, it's just so over the top it takes almost everyone out of it. i'm just saying if it were just a tad bit more subtle it wouldn't stick out so much.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: bigideas on January 06, 2006, 01:44:08 PM
it's not just me. almost every response/review i've read of the album mentions that part. the actual idea of adding reverb at that moment is pretty cool, it's just so over the top it takes almost everyone out of it. i'm just saying if it were just a tad bit more subtle it wouldn't stick out so much.

i liked the effect...simple things like that sometimes elevate the song..and thats a great line to use the effect too...i pretty much agree w/polka on this...

whats that song on pneumonia...is it "jacksonville skyline"?....its the song where the last chorus goes....."i ended up a soldier on the weekend"...that shits great...to me that song is pretty much the whole vibe of jacksonville city nights....thats why i love it....um, i know i dont make any sense...damn, i wish we could get together over some drinks  and chill out listening to the albums in person then discuss.......

I Love a Magician

Quote from: pyramid machine on January 06, 2006, 08:15:48 PM
whats that song on pneumonia...is it "jacksonville skyline"?

My favorite Whiskeytown song.

tpfkabi

his Austin City Limits airs tonight on PBS at 10 Central.

Thrindle

I'd never listened to Ryan Adams until my friend burned me a copy of his CD with the Cardinals.  I'm currently very, very addicted... so what album do I buy next?  (would go through the thread, but my Neo Citron is making me drowsy)
Classic.

ono

mod got me into him a while ago -- I started out with Gold.  Some tracks there will already be familiar just from osmosis.  Favorites: New York, New York; When The Stars Go Blue; and Nobody Girl, 'cause you can kinda get lost in it.  He did a cover of Oasis's Wonderwall which was featured on The O.C. a while back and is pretty gorgeous.  Find it if you can.  I haven't really gotten into 29 yet.  It's more moody music, kinda the same vibe as Fiona's leaked album, with the sulky, slinky wanna-drink-martinis-in-your-bathrobe vibe it gave off.  All the songs are pretty long and epic, but it takes a certain mindset to really appreciate it all.  Back when polka was talking about the reverb in Night Birds... well, it pretty much makes that song.  It gave me chills, so I'd say it's worth checking out for that alone.  29, the title track, is decent too, but nothing else has really clicked for me yet, though I've only given that one a few listens.

polkablues

Quote from: Thrindle on January 22, 2006, 01:07:46 AM
I'd never listened to Ryan Adams until my friend burned me a copy of his CD with the Cardinals.  I'm currently very, very addicted... so what album do I buy next?  (would go through the thread, but my Neo Citron is making me drowsy)

"Heartbreaker"
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

i thought the ACL performace was great. all songs from Cold Roses and Jacksonville City Nights.
i liked how he restrained Let it Ride and let it build over the verses.
i need to catch a show.

Thrindle

Thanks you guys, I'm going to spend money I don't have... this afternoon.    :yabbse-grin:
Classic.

SoNowThen

please just get everything, everything. all the whiskeytown and RA solo you can get your hands on, and then hit up kazaa and get all the unreleased stuff, too. it's sooooooooooo worth it.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

polkablues

Quote from: SoNowThen on January 26, 2006, 12:51:13 PM
all the unreleased stuff, too.

I know about Suicide Handbook and the Pinkheart Sessions; what else should we keep an eye out for?
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Suicide Handbook (21)
Pinkheart Sessions (18)
Pinkheart Sessions II (17)
48 Hours (12)
Destroyer (14)
Swedish Sessions (11)
Exile On Franklin Street (24)
and about 50 b-sides from Gold, Love Is Hell, Rock N Roll, Cold Roses, & Jacksonville City Nights

those are all full studio recordings.  though the quality isnt great (as you may know from suicide & pinkhearts), theres some great stuff in there.  and theres more.  this is just all i've bothered to track down.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Yes, bad in such a fun way. Very few others artists have made so many good records, but if you wanna hear Ryan, and not one of his serious albums, you have his 80's Party Rock record to throw on. Believe me, I fought and fought this album, and Mod made me see the light.

Besides all the B-sides and unreleased albums, if you go online and spend some time, you can grab tons of great live bootlegs with different versions, plus all the live stuff he just writes on the spot and never records properly.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.