any ryan adams fans?

Started by abbey road, May 21, 2003, 03:41:41 PM

polkablues

"Strawberry Wine" is destroying my mind...

Best song ever written?

I say........................................................................ maybe.
My house, my rules, my coffee

I Love a Magician

Lately I've been thinking that Ryan Adams is probably my favorite musician. I think this knowing full well how derivative he is, and that probably half of the songs that he's put out are complete shit, because most of the songs that aren't complete shit affect me like no other songs.

About his new albums: Cold Roses is pretty decent. I'd probably give it a 7/10 or so. None of the songs are just god awful, but none of them are really classic or anything, except for maybe Let It Ride, Dance All Night, and Meadowlake Street. My biggest problem with Cold Roses is how fucking thin it all sounds, if that makes any sense.

Jacksonville City Lights is my favorite of the three albums. It's the most country album he's ever put out, including Whiskeytown. Only a handful of songs (Dear John, Silver Bullets, September, and maybe Games) deviate somewhat from that traditional, old-timey country sound. There are a few songs that I skip on here, like Games and The End, but the rest are really solid. My favorite songs are Hard Way to Fall (even though I like the solo acoustic version a lot more), Dear John, The Hardest Part, September, and Don't Fail Me Now.

29's my least favorite. Most of the songs are story songs and the stories are just boring and the lyrics are bad for the most part. I wish he'd stop singing about god damn prostitutes. My favorite songs are Blue Sky Blues and Elizabeth, even thought they're essentially the same song.

My favorite album of his (and of all time) is, of course, Heartbreaker. Every song on there is essential Ryan Adams, the lyrics are great, and the production is perfect. The drums on Come Pick Me Up, perfect. Also, it's a really heartbreaking album. Ho ho ho!

I saw him live at the Ryman in Nashville a little over a year ago, and other than a fucking divine Devendra Banhart show, it was the best concert I've ever been to. Only thing I didn't like about it was Jesse Malin opening, and that guy sings like I take a shit.

Anyway. I like Ryan Adams, he is a good musician and Dear Chicago is his best song.

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

I Love a Magician

No. The longest song (Strawberry Wine) is eight minutes long. There's another that's about seven, and the rest are around five.

I Love a Magician

This review is really making me want to sit down with 29 and give it another shot.

Pubrick

you will earn yourself a custom rank soon.
under the paving stones.

modage

cause you rule.  :yabbse-thumbup:

vote for the dekapenticon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

i think we can remove the question mark.

i still think dancing w/the woman at the bar is the greatest ryan adam anything...

a) it has a beautiful melacholy country feel to it
b) lyrics conjure up vivid ideas about sitting alone half -drunk at  a bar smoking a cigarette, meeting eye 2 eye w/ a woman, gatherign the courage to make your move, walk over to her, share a whiskey drink, and sort of slow dance....while thinking "after last call, i will make love to her".............

when I see the moon,I hear the sound of the strip just calling my name
just calling my name
when I see the moon,I hear the sound of the strip
just calling my name yeah it's calling my name

man, I love the feeling when I go out
dancing with the women at the bar
man, I love the feeling when I go out
I always know my woman's close somewhere

polkablues

Quote from: I Love a Magician on December 09, 2005, 03:10:37 AM
This review is really making me want to sit down with 29 and give it another shot.

Do it.  It's already taken over as my favorite of his albums.  Deeper and somehow even sadder than "Heartbreaker"...

"Carolina Rain" is my new favorite song of all time of the moment.

I met your sister, and I married her in July/
But if only to be closer to you, Caroline...

And the extended guitar outro on "Elizabeth, You Were Born To Play That Part" is  :bravo:

tpfkabi

i've streamed about half from scenestars.net and it sounds very good to me.

NEON MERCURY

the new cd is not growing on me  :(   ...[yet]   it feels uneven like  a collection of b-sides from different sessions...i got to give the guy props...3 albums in a year is definitely satisfying the fanbase...but i hate that the trilogy ended on a downer...i like carolina rain the most...and that song that goes.........."into the ocean...[w/a cool vocal effect]...and 29 is okay but out of place...strawberry wine is putting me to sleep..and the rest are not working for me...do you guys think its the best of the three???.......i like cold roses the best...but jack city nights doesnt get old...and the bar room/alcohol/depressing vibe is impressively resonating....its country but not too country....and i love pedal steel guitar...damn, the end owns...

polkablues

Quote from: pyramid machine on January 05, 2006, 07:11:03 PM
do you guys think its the best of the three???.......

I do, but that's just me.  It seems like every Ryan Adams fan likes two out of three of his 2005 albums, but never all three.  For me, "Jacksonville City Nights" was a flop. 

tpfkabi

i like all three for the most part. the first two were a bit long (and i'm sure he recorded several songs that didn't even make it as b-sides). i wished he would have done some better vocal takes on some of the jacksonville tracks. i haven't had time to listen much to 29 but it seemed more cohesive to me. only thing i can think to excuse that crazy reverb on track 3(? i think) is that maybe it didn't sound so strange on the expensive studio monitors. otherwise, i just don't understand it. to me 29 shows him progressing in his songwriting. there are 'stranger' chord changes and obtuse melodies like he's never sung before. also if you look at the booklet, 29 was recorded and mixed in 12 days. that's pretty amazing.

and to think, that was over a year ago, so no telling what he's recorded by now.

polkablues

Quote from: bigideas on January 05, 2006, 11:31:59 PM
only thing i can think to excuse that crazy reverb on track 3(? i think) is that maybe it didn't sound so strange on the expensive studio monitors. otherwise, i just don't understand it.

This statement is confusing to me.  The reverb was an artistic decision.  I'm sure it sounds exactly as strange as he meant to make it sound.  And apparently it didn't work for you, but to me, when he sings "...but we sink.................... INTO THE OCEAAAAAAAAAN," it's like getting kicked in the balls with emotion.

And I agree with Neon about "Carolina Rain" (it's like the musical equivalent of a John Cheever story), though I'm  :( that he didn't like the album as a whole.  Especially since it's the perfect sitting-out-on-your-porch-on-a-summer-night album.