There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

JG

i was at the WGA screening for diving bell and the butterfly and harwood was talking about the WGA and SAG screenings he attended in LA a couple weeks prior.  soooo... maybe thats just how they do things when they're trying to publicize these end of the year movies, west coast first, then east coast.. so if they already had the WGA west coast screening of blood, thennnnnn right after thanksgiving pta will come to new york city and we can sneak into those screenings or maybe he'll have public screenings and the east coasters can finally see this movie.   

i've had dreams about this movie, all i do is think about this movie and talk about this movie.  i listened to the boogie nights commentary last nite.. why? I DON'T KNOW I JUST WANT TO SEE THIS MOVIE. 

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: matt35mm on November 15, 2007, 06:13:01 PM
Quote from: children with angels on November 15, 2007, 10:55:55 AM
This isn't necessarily a great question, but I often wonder if he still feels the same way about Magnolia: that "for better or worse, it's the best film I'll ever make". He'd probably just give an "I love all my kids the same" answer though.

I remember he was asked this at the Berkeley Q&A, and I think at first he said, "I said that?" then later, "It was probably just a bit of showmanship on my part."

That's good. It would be dissapointing if he thought Magnolia was the best he'll ever do. I know people here take him at his word and show it by nominating Magnolia to a ridiculous status, but it's by no means his best film, not even close.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 15, 2007, 09:13:45 PM
That's good. It would be dissapointing if he thought Magnolia was the best he'll ever do. I know people here take him at his word and show it by nominating Magnolia to a ridiculous status, but it's by no means his best film, not even close.

i don't think that's why ppl love magnolia. his statement was an emotional one at the time. what he probably meant to say was most personal, uncompromising, and indulgent. "for better or worse", for the person who he was at the time, that was the best movie he could imagine ever making -- a grand statement, no doubt, like the movie itself. likewise, i love the film unconditionally for the purpose it served me. it was indispensible, unlike any other movie had been.

that makes me think how could a 16 year old be on the same "level" as a 30yr old genius? was the movie that immature? the difference is in ability. i was thinking it and he was making it happen. he showed me that what was driving me crazy, these inexpressible ideas, could actually happen. and did.

maybe you never thought much of the movie to begin with. granted, it had little if anything to do with kevin costner. i still think it's absolutely amazing. and NOT in the meaningless "duhhhh the music and the direction was good" whatever the fuck that means kind of way. i mean the IDEAS, man. those ideas that i still can't bring myself to verbalize. the movie itself is the statement. i still quote Jim Kurring's final (audible) monologue about forgiveness. that was the real last word, HIS last word, along with the good news he went on to deliver, it was his live commentary right there on the screen.

so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't do commentaries anymore, and wants to make a movie without dialogue. it makes perfect sense that CMBB would start in a long silence. with PDL he attempted the first portrait of what i imagine will be many Great Men of Few Words. Barry Egan's strong point was not his eloquence. DDL said in the NYT article that no one read, that he is fascinated by the great men of america who say but few words.. he contrasts it against british verbosity. that was a very revealing comment he made about the nature of his character and of the film. ultimately the function of dialogue is to release energy rather than build or contain it.

for better or worse, this is the best post i'll ever write.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 15, 2007, 09:52:41 AM
Anyone want a specific question asked of PTA at the Q&A?

I still say ask about some video/short/WSYB compilation. He's talked recently about this Elliott Smith short, so maybe the idea is already on his mind.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick on November 15, 2007, 10:17:47 PM
That's good. It would be disappointing if he thought Magnolia was the best he'll ever do. I know people here take him at his word and show it by nominating Magnolia to a ridiculous status, but it's by no means his best film, not even close.

i don't think that's why ppl love magnolia. his statement was an emotional one at the time. what he probably meant to say was most personal, uncompromising, and indulgent. "for better or worse", for the person who he was at the time, that was the best movie he could imagine ever making in his life -- a grand statement, no doubt, like the movie itself. likewise, i love the film unconditionally for the purpose it served me. it was indispensible, unlike any other movie had been.

that makes me think how could a 16 year old be on the same "level" as a 30yr old genius? was the movie that immature? the difference is in ability. i was thinking it and he was making it happen. he showed me that what was driving me crazy, these inexpressible ideas, could actually happen. and did.

maybe you never thought much of the movie to begin with. granted, it had little if anything to do with kevin costner. i still think it's absolutely amazing. and NOT in the meaningless "duhhhh the music and the direction was good" whatever the fuck that means kind of way. i mean the IDEAS, man. those ideas that i still can't bring myself to verbalize. the movie itself is the statement. i still quote Jim Kurring's final (audible) monologue about forgiveness. that was the real last word, HIS last word, along with the good news he went on to deliver, that was his live commentary right there on the screen.

so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't do commentaries anymore, and wants to make a movie without dialogue. it makes perfect sense that CMBB would start in a long silence. with PDL he attempted the first of what i imagine many Great Men of Few Words. Barry Egan's strong point was not his eloquence. DDL said in the NYT article that no one read, that he is fascinated by the great men of america who say but few words.. he contrasts it against british verbosity. that was a very revealing comment he made about the nature of his character and of the film. ultimately the function of dialogue is to release energy rather than build or contain it.

You're right. Paul Thomas Anderson saying Magnolia was his best work didn't make everyone fall in line to just agree, but I think the elements that came together to get most of the original board to like it since it was the first major film we all talked about and everyone seemed to discover film as a whole through it. I think the fact PTA was so passionate about it at the time certainly helped since our appetite for him and the film was limitless.

Looking back, my post was insensitive. I bottled up angst against the hype of Magnolia and let it spill over in a barely explained comment and slam. Our feelings about Magnolia are different and while I might assume others like the film for the most general reasons, I definitely don't think you do. A few members can tell me something and I'll believe them. Coincidentally, Magnolia is the subject of my next essay. It'll debut on Green Screen in the next week. No worries, I went out of my way to give it a fair shake.

maya kash

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 15, 2007, 11:35:54 PM
Quote from: Pubrick on November 15, 2007, 10:17:47 PM
That's good. It would be disappointing if he thought Magnolia was the best he'll ever do. I know people here take him at his word and show it by nominating Magnolia to a ridiculous status, but it's by no means his best film, not even close.

i don't think that's why ppl love magnolia. his statement was an emotional one at the time. what he probably meant to say was most personal, uncompromising, and indulgent. "for better or worse", for the person who he was at the time, that was the best movie he could imagine ever making in his life -- a grand statement, no doubt, like the movie itself. likewise, i love the film unconditionally for the purpose it served me. it was indispensible, unlike any other movie had been.

maybe you never thought much of the movie to begin with. granted, it had little if anything to do with kevin costner. i still think it's absolutely amazing. and NOT in the meaningless "duhhhh the music and the direction was good" whatever the fuck that means kind of way. i mean the IDEAS, man. those ideas that i still can't bring myself to verbalize. the movie itself is the statement. i still quote Jim Kurring's final (audible) monologue about forgiveness. that was the real last word, HIS last word, along with the good news he went on to deliver, that was his live commentary right there on the screen.

so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't do commentaries anymore, and wants to make a movie without dialogue. it makes perfect sense that CMBB would start in a long silence. with PDL he attempted the first of what i imagine many Great Men of Few Words. Barry Egan's strong point was not his eloquence. DDL said in the NYT article that no one read, that he is fascinated by the great men of america who say but few words.. he contrasts it against british verbosity. that was a very revealing comment he made about the nature of his character and of the film. ultimately the function of dialogue is to release energy rather than build or contain it.

You're right.

Looking back, my post was insensitive.

what can we forgive?

btw...The screening tonight was sorta mediocre.  I know, I'll get slammed for this but I left half way through to meet a friend for Jack in the Box and a bubble bath.  Just got home and had a message saying I was the luckiest bitch in the world for scoring free tix.  I'm actually feeling like the tub was a better call y'all.

I'll try it out again in December I guess
"Money is the blood of the planet.  Heal the money and we can heal the world."

"Put your mouth where my money is."

Pubrick

Quote from: maya kash on November 16, 2007, 12:44:20 AM
what can we forgive?

8 years later, we finally know where to draw the line..

Quote from: maya kash on November 16, 2007, 12:44:20 AM
I left half way through to meet a friend for Jack in the Box and a bubble bath.
under the paving stones.

maya kash

to
too
two

shea
shay
sheigh

i've named my new vibrator pubrick
"Money is the blood of the planet.  Heal the money and we can heal the world."

"Put your mouth where my money is."

Gold Trumpet

I'm nice to Pubrick these days. I wasn't admitting a capital crime by saying my last post was unpleasant, just being kind and considerate. You should have seen how well we use to get along.

Satcho9

Just Got back from the LA screening... DDL did not seem to be amused by Judd Apatow.

theyarelegion

Quote from: Satcho9 on November 16, 2007, 02:01:38 AM
DDL did not seem to be amused by Judd Apatow.

I concur. How fucking amazing was it tonight? I'm blown away.

Had such a great time hanging out with Mac and Silias.

Quote from: Lucid on November 16, 2007, 02:23:00 AM
This necessitates further explanation.

Apatow to DDL: Which did you prefer: "Knocked Up" or "Superbad"?

DDL's reply: silence.

I believe that was his first question.

Pubrick

yeah..  so far, SF crowd > LA crowd.

mac will be your only saving grace.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

That was one Goddamn, Helluva show.

Silias, Omero and I seriously considered stealing the film and cutting it up into strips and mailing you all portions like The Kubrick Archives, but we realized that we wouldn't get to see the film then.

Sorry for the blur. Had to sneak the photo since they said no photos and had personnel around.

Philip Baker Hall and Maya were in the audience, along with the dude who was replaced by Paul Dano. He was sitting in front of me and pointed to himself amongst his friends when PTA mentioned the recasting in the Q&A.

Sorry, mod, didn't get a chance to ask about the East Coast, or what his next project might be.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have met GOD and shook his hand (DDL's John Hancock is on top):

PTA was trying to get to his mom and sister, so pulling out my posters wouldn't have been feasible. This ticket was the next best thing.

It was the perfect setting to see the film. The entire audience was completely respectful. No cell phones went off, no one checked their cells and cast a flashlight effect; no talking. Everyone was in awe.

The film was worth the years of waiting to see PTA doing everything he does best, and nothing he has done before.

Right from the opening frames, the film sucks you in and commands you. I honestly got goosebumps; and not just once. Then there was the score. My God, the score was its own entity. It seems so out of place, yet so just and perfect. The silence in the opening that is talked about so much lives up to the hype. It was a brilliant progression of storytelling done with images that truly shows PTA's presence as a filmmaker. He must, at the very least, get a Best Director Oscar nod. The scene that follows with Daniel and son on a train with voiceover playing is just one of many images that are just mezmerizing. Then you hear Plainview's voice. And his character becomes fully rounded because that voice, not just in tone, is a large part of why this man is so wretched, yet increasingly fascinating. Day-Lewis deserves every accolade that comes his way. There will be no other performance topped by this one this year or even in years to come. Dano also deserves some mention in his going toe-to-toe with DDL. The trailers are nothing compared to the epic scope the film will give you, not just in terms of the cinematography, but also in the story. It becomes a incredibly intense character study. Moments of jaw-dropping brillance, that I really don't want to mention to you here because I will not do justice and you have to experience for yourself, are spread throughout. It all adds up to a film so beautiful with every aspect firing on all cylinders.

The memories of meeting PTA and DDL preceeded by a wonderful screening of a gorgeous film. It was a night I won't soon, if ever, forget.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Omero on November 16, 2007, 03:09:25 AM
Quote from: Satcho9 on November 16, 2007, 02:01:38 AM
DDL did not seem to be amused by Judd Apatow.

I concur. How fucking amazing was it tonight? I'm blown away.

Had such a great time hanging out with Mac and Silias.

Quote from: Lucid on November 16, 2007, 02:23:00 AM
This necessitates further explanation.

Apatow to DDL: Which did you prefer: "Knocked Up" or "Superbad"?

DDL's reply: silence.

I believe that was his first question.

First: Is this true? If so, that's fucking hilarious. I'm here trying to imagine Lewis's reaction to the question (like, "what the fuck is he talking about? Who is this guy? WHO IS THIS GUY??? Ladies and gentlemen, if I say he's an asshole, you'll agree").

Then: Mac's post gave ME the goosebumps. I want CMBB right fucking now.
Si

©brad

wait can one of you explain play-by-play the judd apatow thing? why would he ever ask anyone, let alone daniel day freakin lewis, which of his two movies he liked better? please tell me there's something we're missing here and he's not that much of a douche. 

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on November 16, 2007, 06:33:46 AMThen: Mac's post gave ME the goosebumps. I want CMBB right fucking now.

me too. nice job buddy. although i have to say I predict the new york screening will blow la and sf out of the water. that is, if the movie ever comes here...