Christopher Doyle (not just a cinematographer anymore)

Started by analogzombie, November 02, 2005, 06:11:44 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSoNowThen's original point is the one I like best.
That settles it.

I hereby declare today to be SoNowThen Day.

analogzombie

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSoNowThen's original point is the one I like best. Most of the films that do get released really are crap. Stanley Kauffmann once said if only 95% of the films released were crap, it was a good year. He margined that 3% would be good and only 2% would be exceptional.

But I don't think you can use that very true reality to dismiss DOyle's comments. He has a point, a) What the fuck is Scorsese doing? and b) Hollywood's current mainstream product is reflective of the general decline of the American Empire

I think his basic point is that a culture's mainstream art can always be used as an indicator of that society's current state, and that going by that, America is in deep trouble.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

SiliasRuby

Christopher Doyle (not just a cinematographer anymore but a drunken one who speaks the harsh truth about cinema)
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SHAFTR

Quote from: analogzombie
I think his basic point is that a culture's mainstream art can always be used as an indicator of that society's current state, and that going by that, America is in deep trouble.

Well, that is ridiculous.  A lot of times great art comes from tumultuos times (ie Soviet Montage).
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

pete

well, America isn't exactly tumulous right now.  If anything it's comfortable and it's comfortably pissing on a lot of the other nations.  that's not the deep trouble analog was speaking of, I think.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

I think he was referring to the trouble that our culture is in.   We're a generation of phillistines.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: analogzombie
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSoNowThen's original point is the one I like best. Most of the films that do get released really are crap. Stanley Kauffmann once said if only 95% of the films released were crap, it was a good year. He margined that 3% would be good and only 2% would be exceptional.

But I don't think you can use that very true reality to dismiss DOyle's comments. He has a point, a) What the fuck is Scorsese doing? and b) Hollywood's current mainstream product is reflective of the general decline of the American Empire

The mainstream product has always been awful. In 1968, I think Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was the top film of the year. Or something much worst than that. This isn't a developing story. It's really the only story.

The Scorsese point is better. He's not only reducing himself to a lesser director, but like other profile directors, he is finding introspection and depth in genre changes. I agree this problem is most terrible in America. While other countries have great directors film really personal projects, the state of American Cinema is one of sick reverence for the bloated career of Alfred Hitchcock.

One thing I can't understand, how is Tarantino any better? I don't care how well he does his films. He's been doing these films his entire career. He is not only making genre works, but he's making genre works for a specific audience only. He's not challenging himself to progress at all.

For as much as I dislike Eyes Wide Shut, it was Kubrick making an art house film. He made a true effort. He doesn't deserve the same disregard as Scorsese.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: JimmyGatorI think he was referring to the trouble that our culture is in.   We're a generation of phillistines.

whats a philistine? : )

JG

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance
Quote from: JimmyGatorI think he was referring to the trouble that our culture is in.   We're a generation of phillistines.

whats a philistine? : )

it's a guy who doesn't care about books or interesting films and things.

SoNowThen

Hmm, how is Hero any less bloated and slam-bang than Gangs Of New York or The Aviator?

There will be a critical re-appraisal of all the late Scorsese movies. They are solid.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThenThere will be a critical re-appraisal of all the late Scorsese movies. They are solid.

I agree The Aviator is solid, but it is also effortless for Scorsese. He needs to push himself.

JG

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: SoNowThenThere will be a critical re-appraisal of all the late Scorsese movies. They are solid.

I agree The Aviator is solid, but it is also effortless for Scorsese. He needs to push himself.

definitinley.  it's seems like he is sleepwalking his way through these movies.  we need that one last masterpiece from marty.

Pubrick

right.. so how bout that christopher doyle

Quote from: killafilmand P you know Doyle is Australian right?
yep. try telling him that.. :yabbse-lipsrsealed:

Quote from: analogzombiei think you are invalidated.  :elitist:
i wasn't really serious, i mean, the equation is a bit stupid. but seriously Tarantino is crap.

it's funny, we all keep saying that even if we disagree with doyle we see his points or sumthing like that. maybe we do agree with him a little. it would be great to be a raving genius saying whatever u want and having credentials to back it up at least technically.

but i still don't know what doyle is all about, can sumone link me to sum AMK-like archive of doyle-isms? is he just a good cinematographer or is he really at the forefront of all things cinema. i guess his movies speak for themselves, but if that were the case he would prolly be a kubrick and not so vocal about how much he hates the white man. his agenda intrigues me.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Quote from: peteyou don't think cinemas go in cycles?  the italians in the 50s, French in the 60s, Germans in the 70s, Iranians in the 80s, America in the 90s...etc.?

Iranians ?  :shock:

I would've said the americans in the 50s, America in the 60s, America in the 70s, America in the 80s, America in the 90s ... but that's mainly because when you saw Fellini you have pretty much seen all the italian cinema easily available.

pete

Quote from: SoNowThenHmm, how is Hero any less bloated and slam-bang than Gangs Of New York or The Aviator?

yeah, but 1) he didn't direct Hero and 2) he also poked jabs at Zhang Yimou.  He also shot psycho in color.

QuoteIranians ?  :shock:
uraniuns?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton