Best commercials

Started by ©brad, February 09, 2003, 09:39:45 AM

©brad

It is a medium often overlooked unless you are in the business or are watching the SuperBowl.

In an interview with Kubrick he was talking about how he gets some of his ideas from watching commercials. He commented on a Michelob commercial which he thought was beautifully shot. He went on to say that he was quite taken by the photography of many commercials. The interview was when Full Metal Jacket came out.

So, any favorites? One in particular that I like is the Nike commercial when everyone is running through the woods and hill. It's got a lot of neat cuts and lord of the rings-ish camera sweeps.

Raikus

My favorite in recent years has been the "Wild America" Mountain Dew commercial (the man vs. the ram). They matched the shots perfectly and did an awesome job in post.

The one I possitively hate right now is the new Levi's one with the Buffalo ("Bold" I think it's titled). The premise is stupid and the buffalo look ridiculous.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

phil marlowe

The PS2 one with the deer is pretty cool. I heard somewhere that it was done dy David Lynch. Confirmation?

Raikus

Yeah, that's it. That's the one I downright loooooath. The music is good but the premise and execution are awful.

And the info on the "Bambi" spot for PS2 can be found here: http://www.adforum.com/adfolio/reel_detail.asp?ID=19743&TDI=VDgWSwis&PAGE=1&bShop=True

It doesn't say who directed it, only the agency that created it.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Raikus
The one I possitively hate right now is the new Levi's one with the Buffalo ("Bold" I think it's titled). The premise is stupid and the buffalo look ridiculous.

Thank you, I can't STAND that commercial.  It's so fucking retarded.

Sometimes I watch it and I think "are they getting off on the stampede?" and sometimes I think "This should just have a Randy Newman song in the background"

bonanzataz

The one commercial I can't stand is this commercial for eclipse breath strips. This guy is standing in the front of a blank white screen and says, "What does it feel like when i have an eclipse breath strip?" And he eats one and then these annoying ladies pop up wearing green dresses and fake leaves and start dancing. Then the guy goes... "Whoa..." The actor for some reason pisses me off, the music is annoying, every time I see it I get this urge to throw something.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Redlum

I loved the Levi's FREEDOM TO MOVE  adverts. Just a guy and a girl running through rooms, but smashing through the walls as they went along. Finally ending up outside running up some trees and jumping out into space.

The other one I liked, was one for the X Box, where a baby gets popped out at birth and goes flying through the sky, ageing through, toddler, teenager, adult, old person, and then lands in a grave. Something to do with' lifes short'.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

picolas

Quote from: Phil MarloweThe PS2 one with the deer is pretty cool. I heard somewhere that it was done dy David Lynch. Confirmation?

confirmed.

busynowmorethanever

Cecil

has anyone seen those bmw films? (directed by ang lee, tony scott, just to name a couple)

http://www.webshots.com/g/42/301-sh.html

Ghostboy

I hate that buffalo trailer too, but Levis usually has good spots. My favorite recent one is with Gael Garcia Bernal (from Y Tu Mama Tambien), where he and his girl push the car over the edge of the pier, and Air's Playground Love is on the soundtrack. Quite lovely.

I also have a thing for Gap commercials. They've always been pretty catchy, and sometimes the choreography in them is really awesome.

And of course, the classic Superbowl commerical, Ridley Scott's 1984. Does anyone know where you can see it? I guess I should go do a google search for it.

Dirk

Quote from: Ghostboy
And of course, the classic Superbowl commerical, Ridley Scott's 1984. Does anyone know where you can see it? I guess I should go do a google search for it.

I found it on Kazaa once. Give that a try if you've got it.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: mogwaiOne other great commercial is John Cleese's anti smoking ad. Sphinx, remember that one at the old board?

I think it used to be here, but they don't have any good ads anymore. Anyone remember the Splode commercial? They had several other 1/3 ads .. the premise was that since tobacco kills 1 out of 3 people who use it, they made spoof commercials for other products that killed 1 out of 3 customers, like a rental car company, acne cream, basketball shoes, and finally, Splode Soda. Those were some of the greatest ads ever.

If anyone knows where to find those, please post links!

Raikus

Raikus

One of my all-time favorites. For John West Salmon: http://www.pocketmovies.net/detail_91.html

Victor

Thanks Mean Joe...

Recently, i think its already been discussed but, i like the Beetle commercial where the guy keeps going into work and all that, and also the ikea commercials where people are violently arguing and all of a sudden its a fucking ikea commercial? nice.

The Nike Shox spot where the guy is streaking across a futbol game

I was also a fan of this spot a few years back which was basicly a car driving in the desert with 'Miserlou' playing
are you gonna eat with us too?