Official Futurama Thread - Futurama back in '08 -RK has 2 years to afford cable

Started by ©brad, August 11, 2003, 04:12:20 PM

Ravi

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471711/

Futurama: Bender's Big Score (2007)

Plot Outline: Planet Express sees a hostile takeover and Bender falls into the hands of criminals where he is used to fulfill their schemes.

Status Updated: 4 May 2007

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

context, context, context.

Ravi

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/benders-big-score.html

Fox Home Entertainment has sent over artwork for Bender's Big Score - the first new "Futurama" programming since 2003. This feature length release will be available to own from the 27th November, and should retail at around $19.99. According to our friends at TVShowsOnDVD.com, extras will include a complete commentary by Matt Groening, David X. Cohen, and cast members, an all new, full-length episode of "Everybody Loves Hypnotoad", including TV commercials of the future, a Mind-bending Futurama math lecture by Professor Sarah Greenwald, and a promo for "An Inconvenient Truth" starring Bender and Al Gore, including commentary by the former Vice President. We've attached the art below:

modage

yay.  the day before my birthday.  the question is: do we have to buy these movies or are they going to be split up into season boxset things?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Well, I think I may buy them separately as opposed to as some sort of season, unless they include the Everybody Loves Hypnotoad and the various features in the big boxset.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

hedwig

Pubrick

please don't simpsonify, please don't simpsonify, please don't simpsonify.. and so on.
under the paving stones.

hedwig

Ravi

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31358

Futurama: Bender's Big Score
Fox // Unrated // $29.99 // November 27, 2007
Review by Aaron Beierle | posted November 12, 2007 | E-mail the Author | Start a Discussion

Review:

"Simpsons" creator Matt Groening's "Futurama" started its run overshadowed by its creator's immensely more popular creation, but after a while, a funny thing happen: "Futurama" got funny - really funny. The characters developed and the writing became more inspired, turning "Futurama" into a cult hit. However, there was a problem - the series was often interrupted by football on Sundays, and the gaps between airings resulted in declining ratings. Not given enough support by the network, the series was eventually cancelled.

For those unfamiliar, "Futurama" focused on the adventures of Fry (Billy West), a former Pizza Boy accidentially frozen in time on December 31, 1999. In the pilot episode, Fry falls into a suspended animation machine, waking up a thousand years later. After he realizes where he's gone, he finds out that his new "life assignment" is to ... be a delivery boy, which he's too happy about. Fry escapes from Leela (Katey Sagal), to look for his great (times about 50) nephew Professor Farnsworth. Once he meets Farnsworth and gets things worked out, he and new friends robot Bender and Leela are hired for the intergalactic delivery service. Also working at the service are squid-like Dr. Zoidberg (Billy West), bureaucrat Hermes (Phil LaMarr), and Amy Wong (Lauren Tom).

However (yes, there's another however), much like "Family Guy", "Futurama" surprised executives by selling well on DVD, making it seem like another show cancelled too early. Unfortunately, the solution wasn't bringing "Futurama" back on TV, but we do get the next best thing: this direct-to-DVD movie, "Bender's Big Score". The movie opens with a not-so-subtle dig at the network that cancelled the series, as Professor Farnsworth informs the group that they were fired two years ago when the Box Network (parts of the B in the sign flicker) cancelled their delivery license. A phone call a short time later informs the group that not only have the executives that cancelled their license been fired, but that they have been made into a product called "Fresh Ground Executive", which has a surprising amount of uses.

The film has the group conned by a group of nudist aliens who gather email addresses by passing around a petition for various "causes". When they send a series of spam emails to Bender, he downloads an "obey" virus and Farnsworth accidentally signs over the company. The aliens take over the company (with the assistance of Bender) and find an even bigger score when they uncover a secret code on Fry's butt that unlocks the ability to time travel.

Rather than steal things from the past themselves, they send Bender back to do the work for them - including an order to terminate Fry when he uses the time travel code in order to escape back to his old time. The scammers eventually take over Earth one scam at a time, forcing humanity to evacuate Earth to head to Neptune, where they mount a mission to get back their home, with the help of Al Gore and the evil Robot Santa. We also get to find out what happened to a duplicate of Fry who stayed behind in 2000.

"Bender's Big Score" is an absolutely wonderful return for the series, as not only does the film deliver a clever (a late twist is not only unexpected, but rather sweet) and often hysterical time travel tale, but a film that will both please fans (who get some references to episodes, as well as the return of supporting players Nibbler, Zapp Branigan and Kiff) and hook in newcomers. Additionally, the fairly common practice of Groening taking shots at fellow animated series "Family Guy" (which has fired a few shots back at Groening's "The Simpsons") continues here, as there is a brief and rather harsh sight gag later in the movie involving a "Family Guy" calendar.

As much as I liked "Futurama" (although especially later seasons, as the show continued to get funnier in later years as it developed characters and built further upon the concept), I found "Bender's Big Score" exceeded my expectations, as despite the direct-to-DVD nature of the flick, it really feels like a full feature film and not an extended episode with a lot of filler. I'm looking forward to the next film (which will apparently come out early in 2008), and hopefully if these direct-to-DVD films are successful, Fox will consider bringing back the series.

Note - the film does end with a cliffhanger, and the commentary notes that there will be three more "Futurama" features.

The DVD

VIDEO: "Bender's Big Score" is presented by 20th Century Fox in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. The screening copy of the film that was provided offered perfectly fine image quality, with the only concern being some slight shimmering. However, this is still not the final copy and unfortunately, I cannot make any final comments on it, as the final copy will likely offer differing (and hopefully better) image quality.

SOUND: The film is presented by Fox in Dolby Digital 5.1. The film's soundtrack is generally a straightforward effort, with some surround usage here-and-there for laser fire and other effects. However, the majority of the audio is spread across the front speakers. Audio quality was fine, with crisp dialogue and effects.

EXTRAS: Matt Groening, David X. Cohen, actor Billy West, director Dwayne Carey-Hill, Claudia Katz, actor John DiMaggio, actor Phil LaMarr and writer Ken Keeler offer a commentary for the movie. The whole gang is happy to be back, and this commentary sees them all having a lot of fun chatting about bringing these characters back for the first of four films.

"Everybody Loves Hypnotoad" is a full 20+ minutes of the "Hypnotoad" bit from the movie. Three deleted scenes are presented without commentary and in storyboard form. The cast returns again for "Futurama Returns!", which is a live reading of the new "Futurama" comic. The "Futurama" promo for "An Inconvenient Truth" is offered, along with video commentary from Al Gore, Matt Groening and David X. Cohen.

"Bite My Shiny Metal X" proves that "Futurama" can be educational and entertaining, as this featurette actually has the creators listing to (and participating in) a math lecture. We also get the original draft of the screenplay, 3-D models/turnarounds, new character sketches and the 5-minute Comic Con promo.

Final Thoughts: I really enjoyed "Futurama" and was eagerly looking forward to its return here. However, as much as I was looking forward to "Bender's Big Score", I'm pleased to say it was actually better than I'd expected, with a clever plot and a lot of big laughs. I have to say, I really missed these characters, and it's great to have them back. Recommended.

w/o horse

A friend's friend worked on these movies.  I've seen Bender's Big Score.  It's got a lot of in jokes and some new ones.  You know that one time Pubrick was talking about how Futurama has the whole universe to draw from and that's why its comedy potential is greater than The Simpsons?  Well as far out into the comedy universe as Bender's Big Score reaches it never feels like its getting ridiculous.  I think it does feel like the characters are starting again from a stop, but the energy and comedy is there, and I can't wait to see the one after this.  It's 89 minutes so that's like a chunk away from being four episodes and I'll say that I probably laughed out loud four episodes worth.  There was also a fair amount of expectations involved so it'd probably be better on a repeated viewing too.  Oh it's get kind of a cool plot too, Primerish.

Quoteas there is a brief and rather harsh sight gag later in the movie involving a "Family Guy" calendar.

This joke spoiled:

Family Guy:  Twelve laughs a year.

This line is in case you read the bottom of posts first.  So you aren't spoiled.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

hedwig

so happy with this movie. it has all the hilarity and heart the show is known for, and manages to explore new territory AND expand on things from the past AND it is just really fucking funny. the story is crazy, there are like a million layers! i love the new characters too. NUDAR especially is hysterical.

SPOILERS: the family guy joke was good but even better were the hilariously vicious jabs at Fox. my favorite was when the professor says "we're back on the air!" and nobody knows what the hell he's talking about. anyway i have to admit i was pretty surprised by the ending, i wasn't thinking ahead cause i was so caught up in this insane story. this is up there with some of the best stories in the series. it's like Time Keeps on Slippin on a more tremendous scale. ken keeler is a god amongst men. END SPOILERS

i agree with horse, the energy is still there. i'd say i laughed about four episodes worth too, and a few times i was laughing really hard. i can't wait for the next one... and the actual return of the show. i was excited for this movie and now i'm even more excited.

it's good to be back in the futurama universe.

Ravi

I agree, this movie was hilarious.  As a fan of the show, I was not disappointed.  The film references past episodes many times, especially the pilot.  I'm sure a non-fan would have enjoyed the film without knowing the references.  The story is more complex and twisty than on an average episode, but like w/o horse said, it doesn't get out of control.

SPOILER Fry turning out to be Lars was a similar development to Fry being his own grandfather, but it was nonetheless a creative and funny story SPOILER

Stefen

Fuck yeah. This rules.

Hermes getting his body sewn on backwards and Zoidberg going "I thought you liked it. You're tail was wagging" had me on the floor dying.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.