Hemlock Grove (Eli Roth, Netflix, 2013)

Started by 03, April 27, 2013, 02:28:20 PM

I found only two results for this show, one of which being my brief reference in another thread, so redirect if necessary.
I almost didnt want to post the trailer for this series because after rewatching it I found it very very lightly spoilerish but only if you have seen the series already, otherwise its just kind of confusing and random, and over all a good visual representation but not emotionally. Kind of makes it look silly at times too. That being said, I'll post the trailer at the bottom to extinguish any reflex views.

This series is amazing. I knew nothing about it going into it other than Eli Roth had something to do with it and the book was supposedly an awful afterbirth of the twilight fiasco. They released the whole shenanigan on netflix at once and so I dove in headfirst out of off-day boredom and was greatly rewarded. I read critique afterwards, ranging widely in insight, and the general concensus is that it sucks. But this is all based on the first two episodes which are genuinely cringe worthy at times. I think this show suffers from writers having stubborn differences in dialogue, because that is what jumps around the most throughout the season. But if you withstand the character foundation episodes (and they are barely that. more of a vague introduction), you will be rewarded a thousandfold.

This is hands down one of the best shows I have ever seen. Really crafty stuff surprisingly. The buildups, the layering, the acting, the characters, the mystery, the visual atmosphere. Everything becomes very familiar and close over such a short period of time. I would love to delve into spoiling aspects if anyones interested. If you're into anything similar to the amazing last season of American Horror Story, you will be amazed with this stuff.  It's nothing like Roth's usual fare, also, so don't let him dissuade you. The true blood comparisons are more than inevitable, but this shit is so much deeper and subtler that I try not to even use such an analogy even with people that would need convincing. Watch five episodes and tell me you dont wanna know whats up with the ourobouros.

polkablues

I am interested in this, but I have way too much else to get caught up on before I can get to it. The upside to Netflix is that I can watch the shows whenever I want, the downside is I can procrastinate on watching them as long as I want.

Comparison to the second season of American Horror Story is encouraging. That's the sort of batshit insanity I want more of.
My house, my rules, my coffee

polka: watch it as soon as you're caught up, famke janssen plays a combination of mary eunice and sister jude

Tictacbk

I watched the pilot of this and thought it was (without exaggeration) one of the worst pilots I've ever seen in my life.  Having said that, I don't think a show should necessarily be judged on it's pilot as a lot of good shows take a little while to come into their own.  I could maybe be convinced to watch a few more... truth be told I wanted to because the show seemed like such a trainwreck that it was fascinating, but I didn't want Netflix and their crazy statisticians to think I wanted more shows like this. 

like i said, get about 4 episodes deep and you'll see the light. the first two are genuinely cluttered ways of creating a storyline but once the thread is woven it becomes some insanely good shit.

Reel

Quote from: Tictacbk on April 27, 2013, 05:27:44 PM
I watched the pilot of this and thought it was (without exaggeration) one of the worst pilots I've ever seen in my life.

Really? You must be a :shock: hater. What did you find so bad about it? I thought it was one of the best pilots I've ever seen. Even 03's criticism that the first two eps are kind of "cringeworthy" I don't agree with. Those are the only 2 I've watched and I'm hooked. I liked them a lot, maybe it gets so much better after this that he was just apologizing for it. Or maybe I haven't gotten into a good show for so long that I'm naive about what quality television is these days, but everything about this is so well put together. It looks awesome, has a great plot, and gave me a renewed interest in Vampire/Werewolf stories after Twilight fucking ruined it. If it only improves from here then I'm really excited. Can't wait to get spoilery.

so season 2 has been confirmed and i definitely want some feedback from everyone here on first season, because this show is too good for only two people to be watching it.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

so season 2 is out today. anyone that has slept on this show needs to immediately fucking check themselves before they proverbially wreck themselves.

Jeremy Blackman

I might bite. What episode do you recommend?

i would just start with episode one. its not the best but you need that information to enjoy the rest.
halfway through season 2. pretty good stuff, but man it would be tedious to watch this show if it wasn't released in one season.

ok you guys suck. someone please finish season two so we can discuss exactly WTF that ending was?!?!?1

Tictacbk

I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing what it was was terrible?

no it was cool just insanely confusing. like what the fuck am i even watching right now.

Jeremy Blackman

I should probably file this one under "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Seriously, is there a favorite episode that I should skip to? I don't care about spoilers. I would just like to watch a good episode of this show.