Girls

Started by modage, March 16, 2012, 11:52:35 AM

modage

From HBO: Created by and starring Lena Dunham ("Tiny Furniture"), the show is a comic look at the assorted humiliations and rare triumphs of a group of girls in their early 20s. Dunham wrote and directed the pilot of the series, which she executive produces along with Judd Apatow and Jenni Konner.  The cast also includes Jemima Kirke, Allison Williams, Adam Driver and Zosia Mamet.  Episodes were shot in New York. The ten-episode season debuts in 2012.

They premiered the first 3 episodes at SXSW. This show is great. Not to draw the comparisons too hard but it's got more in common with "Freaks & Geeks" than "Sex & The City" or "How To Make It In America" or any of that nonsense. (I'm not saying it's as great, I'm saying its in the same wheelhouse.) Also it should be noted that Apatow has not produced a narrative show since "Undeclared" before that was 'F&G' before that was "The Larry Sanders Show" and "The Critic" and "The Ben Stiller Show." So yes, this is going to be really really good.

Read my long ass article about it here!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

I wasn't a huge fan of Tiny Furniture, but Apatow's attachment to this made me more interested. Can't wait.

modage

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan either. I watched it about a month ago knowing that I was excited for this show and that some people seem to hate her for some reason. For what it was (basically a really good student film) I thought it was surprisingly watchable but nothing revelatory. It's funny that the show is very similar to the film (most of the same actors, etc.), without being glossy or Hollywood-ized, and yet somehow a million times better.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Mod I generally always agree with your reviews and I have no doubt this is a good show, but I can't get on board. I like Lena Dunham. I liked her movie. I like her in interviews. I've seen trailers for this which have made me laugh but WHY IN THE EVERLASTING FUCK ARE THEY ALL WHITE? How is this reflective of any kind of New York City that exists in the real world? I mean no ill will to Lena Dunham personally but from every trailer I've seen there's not one non-white person in sight. Not even in the background. They're not even pretending to try. I don't care how broke and downtrodden these girls are. It's 2012 and you're making a show that's "honest" and "authentic" to New York City twenty-something living yet your three lead characters are all white. Fuck that.

diggler

Call me crazy, but the depiction of white people interacting with white people seems more authentic than inserting the token black girl in the apartment. Is NYC like this for everyone? Hell no, but for these characters I buy it.

The doctor looked Indian at least, or Hispanic maybe? (shit, I'm the proof of my thesis)
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

modage

All white people aside, everyone should watch Girls tonight on HBO. It's great.

Brando

When I first heard of this show, I didn't understand the hype.  After seeing the trailer, I didn't think the show could amount to much. I kept seeing the trailer and it kept growing on me. It grew on me to amount that I thought the show couldn't live up to my expectations.  Watching the pilot tonight was excellent. It live up and surpassed my expectations which is difficult to do now.  Lets just call that The Killing effect. I hope this show continues to surpass my expectations.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

malkovich

Yup, this show is absolutely fantastic.

modage

Next 2 eps are even better. Hopefully it keeps going up from there.

Apatow says, "The whole season is strong.  It gets better and better as it goes deeper."

Ravi

Quote from: modage on March 16, 2012, 01:13:58 PM
It's funny that the show is very similar to the film (most of the same actors, etc.), without being glossy or Hollywood-ized, and yet somehow a million times better.

The first episode was better than Tiny Furniture, but it also had an unpolished feel without feeling amateurish. We've seen plenty of male characters in a similar in-between stage of their lives, so it will be interesting to see it from a female perspective.

I may be jumping the gun in addressing some of the criticisms of the show, but the show isn't a ringing endorsement of these girls' lives. People seem to confuse depicting something for endorsing it, especially when the protagonists are the ones living off their parents' money and living somewhat aimlessly.

matt35mm

HBO put up the first episode online for free on YouTube (it'll be up there until May 14th). They're going to do the same thing for Armando Iannucci's "Veep" next week.

malkovich

The opening scene to "Vagina Panic" was horrifying and hilarious in copious and equal amounts. I enjoyed the episode.

Pubrick

why isn't  a bigger deal being made about Lena Dunham? first feature at 23, first tv series at 25?! She's the orson welles of our time! ok at least the john singleton.

but then i found out her parents were rich and she grew up with famous families (hence the cast of Girls). so her achievements can go fuck themselves.

i really like this show though.
under the paving stones.

BB

Quote from: Pubrick on April 24, 2012, 04:03:36 AM
She's the orson welles of our time! ok at least the john singleton.

I don't think she quite approaches the depth and verve of John Singleton.

Quote from: Pubrick on April 24, 2012, 04:03:36 AM
i really like this show though.

This surprises me. Not because I don't like the show (though to be honest, I don't). It just doesn't seem like something you would enjoy based on my impression of you.

Reel

Quote from: BB on April 24, 2012, 12:48:07 PM
It just doesn't seem like something you would enjoy based on my impression of you.

Why not? He's got a 'girl' in his avatar! I have yet to find a dissenter of this show, or at least someone with a convincing argument against it.