Mosaic

Started by wilder, October 06, 2017, 03:56:33 PM

wilder

Quote from: Steven Sodervergh'Mosaic' is a branching narrative piece. While branching narratives have been around forever, technology now allows, I hope, for a more elegant, intuitive form of engagement than used to be possible. Also, we weren't reverse engineering the story to fit an existing piece of technology; the story was being created in lockstep with the technical team. The fluidity of that relationship made me feel comfortable because I wanted it to be a simple, intuitive experience. I didn't want moments where you are making a decision to feel like interruptions

Directed by Steven Soderbergh
Starring Sharon Stone, Garrett Hedlund, Frederick Weller, Beau Bridges, Paul Reubens, Jennifer Ferrin, Devin Ratray, Michael Cerveris, James Ransone, Jeremy Bobb and Maya Kazan
Release Date - airing on HBO as a six-part limited series beginning January 22, 2018, and available to download as an interactive app experience on November 8, 2017

wilder

Out in app form today. I don't have an ipad and I'm not about to watch this on a phone. Someone let me know how it is?

wilder

On HBO January 22nd

Punch Drunk Hate

Has anyone tried the app yet and described the virtual experience of the project?

WorldForgot

Quote from: Punch Drunk Hate on January 06, 2018, 11:31:44 PM
Has anyone tried the app yet and described the virtual experience of the project?

I got through about four chapters before losing momentum completely.

It's a Soderbergh Soap Opera via Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Book decisions. Wouldn't exactly call it "interactive," but the app does include a feature called 'discoveries' which includes PDFs and fake-websites, etc, that I assume won't turn up on HBO.

Fernando

I don't know about the app but HBO has been airing one episode a day since monday and it's really good.

There's another tonight and apparently the last two tomorrow.

samsong

watched it as a six episode series... didn't really want to bother with the app, which strikes me as a superfluous novelty.  anyway, it's fantastic stuff.  soderbergh's tv output i think is representative of him at the height of his craft.  not quite on the level of the knick, but what is/can be?  performances are all especially strong.

WorldForgot

Just finished watching it both ways, on the browser app and HBO's edit.
Eventualism is a fulcrum here and in Schizopolis.

Stellar performances. Although the app may be superfluous to the mystery, it illuminates the subtle ways rhythm and performance can change the tone of a scene. Kind of basic-knowledge, but Soderbergh is playful about it. There are moments of suspense in the HBO edit that are actually kinda funny in certain Story Map nodes of the app.

I wonder how often Soderbergh thinks about Eventualism.

BB

Yeah, this is good. Describing the plot to people is fun.