John Woo

Started by MacGuffin, March 18, 2004, 10:38:39 AM

MacGuffin

John Woo Wants Jackman for Action Musical
Source: Australian Associated Press

The Australian Associated Press reports that director John Woo wants Hugh Jackman to star in his new action-musical about an American gangster with great dance moves.

"I want to do an action-musical," says Woo, who's keen to sign Jackman after he wowed Broadway audiences with his all singing, all dancing portrayal of flamboyant entertainer Peter Allen.

"I have dreamed about doing it for seven years," says Woo, who grew up watching musicals in cinemas in Hong Kong. "It's an American gangster movie and is about a gangster who is also a good dancer. It is not a singing movie, but there is dancing and action."

"We are working on the script and it's almost done," he adds.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffinJohn Woo Wants Jackman for Action Musical
Source: Australian Associated Press

The Australian Associated Press reports that director John Woo wants Hugh Jackman to star in his new action-musical about an American gangster with great dance moves.

"I want to do an action-musical," says Woo, who's keen to sign Jackman after he wowed Broadway audiences with his all singing, all dancing portrayal of flamboyant entertainer Peter Allen.

"I have dreamed about doing it for seven years," says Woo, who grew up watching musicals in cinemas in Hong Kong. "It's an American gangster movie and is about a gangster who is also a good dancer. It is not a singing movie, but there is dancing and action."

"We are working on the script and it's almost done," he adds.

If Woo wanted to do this back in Hong Kong with Chow Yun-fat, I'd be the happiest man alive.  I think it'll be interesting no matter what but this could be a career-killer for him.

NEON MERCURY

.hmm........reminds me of Cop Rock...anyone remember that stupid sh*t..?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

.hmm........reminds me of Cop Rock...anyone remember that stupid sh*t..?

Yep. And I thought the same thing too. I just didn't find it worth mentioning.

MacGuffin

John Woo Bringing Metroid to the Big Screen
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

John Woo has optioned Nintendo's best-selling video game franchise Metroid for the big screen, says The Hollywood Reporter. Woo will produce the sci-fi movie and has the option to direct. Terence Chang and Brad Foxhoven will share production responsibilities. Lion Rock Productions' Suzanne Zizzi also is attached to the project.

The plan is to release the first film before 2006. The movie will center on the origins of the game's female protagonist, sexy bounty hunter Samus Aran, and relate her adventures battling the insidious life-sucking Metroids and their controlling force, Mother Brain.

"We have to assume the mainstream audience is unfamiliar with the property," Foxhoven said. "As for the rest of the film, we will stay true to the game and have Samus battling the Metroids and Mother Brain in a fight for control of the galaxy."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Next years best actress winner will play Samus.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

i just saw my first two non-american woo films recently.  last week i watched Hard Boiled which i liked and tonite i watched The Killer which i LOVED.  is that the best there is to offer, or where do i go from here?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pedro

i remember reading that a better tomorrow and bullet in the head are really good...but ive only seen the killer.  that film kicks some fucking ass.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02is that the best there is to offer, or where do i go from here?

*A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2 (3 is directed by Tsui Hark, but if you wanna complete the series and find out more about the characters in this prequel, check it out)
*Bullet In The Head
*Once A Thief - but make sure it's the John Woo directed version...

...not the TV movie:

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

judging by the cover of "Once A Theif," it looks like it'd be a show on the WB
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

cine

Quote from: El Duderinojudging by the cover of "Once A Theif," it looks like it'd be a show on the WB
Hopefully they don't spell 'Thief' incorrectly if they do show it on the WB.
I mean, that would just SPOIL THE FUN FOR EVERYBODY.

citizenaniki

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: themodernage02is that the best there is to offer, or where do i go from here?

*A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2 (3 is directed by Tsui Hark, but if you wanna complete the series and find out more about the characters in this prequel, check it out)
*Bullet In The Head
*Once A Thief - but make sure it's the John Woo directed version...

A Better Tomorrow III ended Tsui Hark and John Woo's friendship.  They constantly battled before while making films together, but this topped it off from my understanding.  if you watch both directors later films, you can see cheap shots towards each other, especiall in Tsui Hark's Time and Tide.

modage

John Woo Sets His Eye on Spy-Hunter
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Thursday, May 20, 2004

First reported back in April by Latino Review, The Hollywood Reporter has now confirmed that director John Woo is in talks to Spy-Hunter, the action-adventure film that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is attached to star in.

Based on Midway Games' popular arcade game of the 1980s, Spy-Hunter will see Johnson portray Alec Sects, a former F-15 pilot employed by International Espionage Services as a member of the Spy Hunter team. The film is set up at Universal.

Woo's credits include Broken Arrow, Face/Off and Mission: Impossible 2. He most recently directed last year's Paycheck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woo and Scott Aboard All the Invisible Children
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Thursday, May 20, 2004

John Woo and Ridley Scott are two of seven acclaimed directors attached to participate in a uniquely ambitious multinational production called All the Invisible Children, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The film - composed of seven segments, each representative of a geographical region - will unite Woo and Scott, who will direct the China and the U.K. sections, respectively, along with Stefano Veneruso (Italy), Katia Lund (Brazil), Mehdi Charef (Africa) and Emir Kusturica (Serbia-Montenegro). Jordan Scott, daughter of Ridley, will co-direct the U.K. segment.

The director representing the final seventh region has yet to be announced. Each of the seven segments will delve into the hurdles and plights of respective child protagonists facing the vicissitudes of life in various parts of the world.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

John Woo Directing Paramount's Rainbow Six
Source: Variety

John Woo (Paycheck) will direct Paramount's adaptation of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, featuring the shadowy John Clark CIA agent character, reports Variety.

The story centers on Clark joining with several colleagues to leave the CIA and create an England-based multinational org designed to battle terrorism.

Writers who have worked on the script since 1999 include Michael Shiffer, Bill Wisher, Art Monterastelli, Frank Capello and John Enbom, who was hired in March to script.

Paramount adapted Clancy's Jack Ryan character in The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger and The Sum of All Fears and acquired rights last year to Clancy's Red Rabbit, also centered on the Ryan character. It's also developing another Clancy thriller, Without Remorse, based around the John Clark character.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

I just saw some John Woo black comedy he directed in the early 80s here in Taiwan.  it was actually pretty funny.  he milked a lot out of the man-hires-killer-to-kill-himself scenerio.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton