Best Foreign Film You've seen...

Started by aalixjr, January 25, 2005, 12:17:08 AM

aalixjr

There's been an influx of good foreign films in the last five years...

What's the best you've seen?
"Fuck damnation.  Fuck redemption.  We are God's unwanted children, with no special place and no special attention, and so be it.  Self-improvement is masturbation. Self-destruction is the answer..." - Tyler Durden

samsong

Bela Tarr's Werckmeister Harmonies

NEON MERCURY

Two Lane Blacktop

One of my overall favorites, as well.

2LB
Body by Guinness

Myxo

This is a thread that I thought for sure somebody would have created..

Oh well..

Blue/White/Red

:D

ono

Alethia

of the past five years?

notre musique.

Gold Trumpet

I hope this thread doesn't become popular enough that it bunches all foreign film news and talk together. I still think a movement could be revived for a foreign film forum, but the mods seem to agree to not like that idea.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetthe mods seem to agree to not like [the foreign film forum] idea.
That's because it would do this:

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetbunches all foreign film news and talk together
Also, we have enough non-American members that it would be ridiculous to call their films "foreign."

nineteenseventyseven

I waste time.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: The Gold Trumpetbunches all foreign film news and talk together
Also, we have enough non-American members that it would be ridiculous to call their films "foreign."

Then let me center my argument better so I get my point across. Maybe the name foreign forum is wrong, but what about a forum for those works that are considered obscure? What about a boutique section separate of the films considered mainstream by Hollywood and most of XIXAX. By requesting a "foreign film forum", I ask for that because the implication of a foreign film is usually a film that fits description of what I am talking about.

Alas, you won't get much of a ruckus out of me. Since the last time I brought up this argument, these boards have died down considerably. Most threads can be visible for long periods of time and don't need special recognition.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhat about a boutique section separate of the films considered mainstream by Hollywood and most of XIXAX.
That's an even worse idea. Do you have some kind of marginalizing impulse?

There's no organizational or philosophical reason to separate these things.

Myxo

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhat about a boutique section separate of the films considered mainstream by Hollywood and most of XIXAX.

Let's see here..

Napoleon Dynamite goes in this section..

Oh shit! Mainstream movie goers loved this?

Fuck. Nevermind. Now I hate it..

aalixjr

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI hope this thread doesn't become popular enough that it bunches all foreign film news and talk together. I still think a movement could be revived for a foreign film forum, but the mods seem to agree to not like that idea.

I completely agree with having a foreign film forum...
"Fuck damnation.  Fuck redemption.  We are God's unwanted children, with no special place and no special attention, and so be it.  Self-improvement is masturbation. Self-destruction is the answer..." - Tyler Durden

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
That's an even worse idea. Do you have some kind of marginalizing impulse?

There's no organizational or philosophical reason to separate these things.

There was before when a thread about an obscure director would pop up in the director's forum and then would backed up to the second page almost a day later. Yes, these threads got lower number of replies but I think they had a right to be amongst the popular threads and able to see by anyone who didn't feel like digging back pages and pages. Thats no longer an issue though, but it was.