Music in Period Pieces

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, June 26, 2003, 10:46:39 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i have this weird thing

i want to know if anyone else has this

in Period Pieces  i hate when they use music that was not around during that era

it kills a movie for me, i become  very larry david at that moment and i start to hate the movie

rock star with marky was ruined for me because of this, and god so many other movies

music in movies is very important to me, its one of my most important factors, and i hate when they fuck it up like this

and i think i am not alone here, because scrosesse feels the same thing, he wanted to use " shes so cold" at the end of of goodfellas during the coke car scene but the song was not out yet so he decided aginst it

i was not around during the early 80's so i dont know if sister christian was out during that time that the coke scene in boogie nights took place, but god i hope so because that song and scene work so FUCKING GREAT  together

but check this out, i am so anal about this issue that i would take out the perfect song if i found out that it had not come out yet during the scene it was meant to be used in .

Ghostboy

So what are your thoughts, then, on techno or rock music in films like Gangs Of New York or A Knight's Tale?

Alethia

wow you must have hated moulin rouge then

Quote from: GhostboySo what are your thoughts, then, on techno music in period pieces?

Der Fuhrer would of loved house music No question

Quote from: ewardwow you must have hated moulin rouge then

yes yes i did, but not because of the music, the music was meant to be that way in moulin rouge

in films like rock star however, its just sloppy film making

and i take it as a sign of bad directing, But only in extreme cases

like if sister christian was a few months off in boogie nights, i wouldnt say that PTA is a idiot, if he used a bon jovi song from 88 in a scene that is meant to take place in 84 well then yes he would be a idiot

like if i am writting a scene that takes place in say  decemember of 1989, and i had the charecters going to the movies, i would do research and find out what was playing during that week or month, i am very big on this

Alethia

i once wrote a screenplay that took place in the present as i was writing it, and every single song i had in mind for it was either from the 70's, 80's, or before the 70's.....and i began to panic - i'm over it now and have accepted the fact that music is music and if it fits the mood then it fits the mood, altho i do agree with you about the whole "this scene takes place in december 83 and this song came out november 87, ahhh!" that tends to bug me as well (that wasn't sarcastic, just colorful) - but anyways, what r ur thoughts on the story i told about my screenplay a few years back?  how do u feel about that sort of musical placement?

ohh i am sorry i didnt clear up what i meant, i love writting modern scenes with old songs, all my modern scenes are set to old songs

like for example Hollywood homicide uses old motown , PERFECT

I love that

so yeah, you can use a song that came before the era but not after the era

so for example if the scene takes place in 83, you can use a song from 77 but not from 85

modage

man ludacris, you should see the taylor hackford movie "the idolmaker".  it will piss you off to no end, (as it did me).  it takes place in the fifties and the performers are supposed to be like these frankie avalon type pinups, but theyre singing all these non-existent 50s songs that sound like they were written in 1979 (because they were).  plus the sound of the instruments and drums is not the sound they were capable of at that time.  watch it and simmer in hatred.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02man ludacris, you should see the taylor hackford movie "the idolmaker".  it will piss you off to no end, (as it did me).  it takes place in the fifties and the performers are supposed to be like these frankie avalon type pinups, but theyre singing all these non-existent 50s songs that sound like they were written in 1979 (because they were).  plus the sound of the instruments and drums is not the sound they were capable of at that time.  watch it and simmer in hatred.

Don't you dare put that movie down. That is the Ray Sharkey's best film, based on a real manager. The music is so damn catchy, especially the end song with Peter Gallagher singing "However Dark The Night."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

okay, here's the thing. music in movies should be about tone instead of period, mood instead of popularity. i have NO problemo w/ mixing genres/eras or whateva when it comes to music, whatever can and does work i say go for it. like the opening gangs of new york music i thought was amazing. music should be like the 2nd dialogue in a movie. doesn't matter where it comes from.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Quote from: ©bradokay, here's the thing. music in movies should be about tone instead of period, mood instead of popularity. i have NO problemo w/ mixing genres/eras or whateva when it comes to music, whatever can and does work i say go for it. like the opening gangs of new york music i thought was amazing. music should be like the 2nd dialogue in a movie. doesn't matter where it comes from.

in gangs of new york, he is using it as score so its not what i am talking about

what i am talking about is for example on the bottom of the screen it says

1969 and the music playing in the background is freebird which came out in the 70's

see they are using freebird in the scene to set the mood of the time they are projecting, however they are wrong because that song is not from that time

so sloppy film making

argh dont make me admit this but ok, my friends and i were bored the other night and we saw dumb and dumberer , well in it it says it takes place in 1986 and they mention 1986 quite a bit and yet they have two scenes  one a full blown dance number set to Ice Ice baby which came out in 1990

so that is another fucking example of what i mean

SoNowThen

I totally see what you're saying. Score can be anything, but when someone has Source playing (the point being that source should be direct in terms of time and place), then it should be era-correct. I so agree.

But in terms of score, yes, directors should be able to do anything. How much EVEN COOLER would Gangs have been if Marty would have opened with that Clash song, like originally planned?!!

I always wanted to score with way out of place music, then that cocksucking movie Knight's Tale came out and ruined everything for me.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

i liked gangs of new york, but did anybody else feel that the opening battle was just awkward?  leading up to it was amazing but then all the little gimmicks that go on during the battle and what not - i don't know.....i just didnt respond well to it.  but i quickly forgot about it tho.

not that this has anyhing to do with anything just thought i bring it up

Cecil

Quote from: SoNowThenBut in terms of score, yes, directors should be able to do anything. How much EVEN COOLER would Gangs have been if Marty would have opened with that Clash song, like originally planned?!!

are you joking, if not which song?