Kill Bill: Volume Two

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2003, 01:38:09 AM

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: LostEraserI think it's very inspiring.

That's the main thing about him (that, and also the fact that he makes kick-ass movies)
Si

Pubrick

it seems that the ppl who love Kill Bill (volume two especially) are too eager to love it cos of QT. modernage i think has presented the most realistic review of the film, cos like anyone who has actually thought about the movie without automatically deciding to love it, he can admit that there are plenty of gaping flaws. flaws which no one would accept in any other situation.

i hope that none of these blind QT lovers ever criticize a movie for the same things they overlooked on volume two. i think all these overhyped events (like Revolutions) say more about the reviewers than the films, in this case and in recent times it has revealed that ppl are just that needy for a new mythology. everyone is so desperate for a film to actually live up to the hype they will ignore the most blatant flaws.

i think Find Your Magali said sumthing like this once, about the death of hyped-things that actually pay off.
under the paving stones.

coffeebeetle

Quote from: Pubrickit seems that the ppl who love Kill Bill (volume two especially) are too eager to love it cos of QT. modernage i think has presented the most realistic review of the film, cos like anyone who has actually thought about the movie without automatically deciding to love it, he can admit that there are plenty of gaping flaws. flaws which no one would accept in any other situation.

i hope that none of these blind QT lovers ever criticize a movie for the same things they overlooked on volume two. i think all these overhyped events (like Revolutions) say more about the reviewers than the films, in this case and in recent times it has revealed that ppl are just that needy for a new mythology. everyone is so desperate for a film to actually live up to the hype they will ignore the most blatant flaws.

i think Find Your Magali said sumthing like this once, about the death of hyped-things that actually pay off.

I'll admit that Vol. 2 had flaws, but so did Vol. 1 (i.e. paper thin characters in both to begin with, though a little less in Vol. 2) but I loved them both.

Let's just keep in mind that this kind of genre isn't going to produce a hands-down spectacular movie and Quentin's movies are only as strong as that which he steals from...
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

bonanzataz

you're totally right, guys. i've never actually liked a movie in my life. the only reason i watch movies and say i like them is because everybody else does so. FUCK MOVIES!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Mesh

Quote from: coffeebeetleI'll admit that Vol. 2 had flaws....

After Uma punches her way out of the coffin, bloodying her knuckles, she walks across the street to the diner.  She sits down and places her dirty hands on the counter....BUT THERE IS NO BLOOD!  At least not that I saw.

Great, entertaining, unique film, but, yeah, it has flaws.  Big deal.

PS - Wouldn't you all have flipped out if, like Barry Egan's "LOVE" knuckles, Uma's had read:  "BILL"?  That would've killed me.  Oh well.

Alethia

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: themodernage02bills superman and fish speeches

those were fantastic and how did the superman speech not fit in with the movie?
yeah they were great monologues, but after 3 hours and some change of waiting for uma to get to bills place to have to see her sitting there listening to these long things is awkward and not believable for her character.  perhaps had she been more greatly incapacitated, or maybe if bill had been further incapacitated, like if she had the upper hand she'd let him tell his story before she killed him.  i dont know, it just really bugs me.  it doesnt seem true to her character.

yeah i'll agree with this, that's initially how i felt.  but i ignored it simply because of what a small point it is in the grand scheme of things and because of how well most of this film works.

LostEraser

Quote from: Pubrickit seems that the ppl who love Kill Bill (volume two especially) are too eager to love it cos of QT. modernage i think has presented the most realistic review of the film, cos like anyone who has actually thought about the movie without automatically deciding to love it, he can admit that there are plenty of gaping flaws. flaws which no one would accept in any other situation.

Actually, I've never been that ecstatic over Tarantino UNTIL Vol 2. I was one of those people saying Pulp Fiction was way over rated. But as time went on I came to apreciate him as a cool film geek and really started to dig his style even though none of his films ever affected me that much. Vol 2 is his first film that has truly affected me. And it's only now that I'm becoming a major Tarantino lover. I've always loved his style but I never thought any of his films were masterpices and never thought any of his characters had as much depth as all his fans seemed to say so. Until Vol 2. I think that Vol 2 is the closest thing to a flawless film he has made so far. The characters of Bride and Bill are his best written characters ever in my opinion.

If Vol 2 was a dissapointment i'd be the first to admit it (much like I did with Vol 1) because I've never been one of those Tarantino worshipers. Or even that big of a fan. I'm always the first to admit when a film is gettting over praised just becuase of who made it. And I could care less about getting any kind of "new mythology" from movies (I never really looked to movie for that kind of thing in the first place). But I thought that Volume 2 was a masterpiece made the ultimate film geek who has not only mastered the craft of expressing his love of movies by making movies himself, but also mastered the over all craft of filmmaking.

....dude, I'm so gonna get it for that last comment. lol. Oh well, bring it on. I loved this movie!
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

Pubrick

Quote from: MeshAfter Uma punches her way out of the coffin, bloodying her knuckles, she walks across the street to the diner.  She sits down and places her dirty hands on the counter....BUT THERE IS NO BLOOD!  At least not that I saw.
those weren't the kind of flaws i was talking about.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Or maybe, some of us really like the movie. Maybe some of us think that there are scenes that will stick with us for a long time. Some of us just love how the movie ends, how Bill takes his last 5 steps. Maybe we love the first scene at the wedding rehersal. Some of us may have liked the Pai Mei scenes.... You know, one of the criticisms I really hate is when people say we love a movie because of its director, even if it sucks. I'm not one of those. Woody Allen is one of my favourite directors and I'm the first one to tell you that some of his movies are not good at all. When a movie is not that good, it's not that good, when it's bad, it's bad, but to me, Kill Bill kicks ass. I love it and I'll buy it and I'll see it many times. Actually, I'm seeing it again tomorrow at the theater.
Oh,and one more thing, a friend of mine who's far from beeing amovie expert and who'd never seen a QT film before, told me he enjoyed Kill Bill, and Volume 2 especially.
Si

modage

Quote from: ElPandaRoyalKill Bill kicks ass. I love it and I'll buy it and I'll see it many times.
Dont you mean... "You love it and you'll SEE it and you'll BUY it many times?"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

hey whatever, i dont' care enuff about this crap to continue or instigate any sort of debate.

the biggest compliment i can give it is, at least it was better than Revolutions.

i believe a good movie is NOT just a matter of personal opinion. this may be where we differ.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pubricki believe a good movie is NOT just a matter of personal opinion.

Yes.

I wish I could explain how much I agree in more detail, but I can't. Not yet, anyhow.

But anyway, this is a big, fat, 100% agreeance. You wouldn't believe how bad this statement offends most people.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: ElPandaRoyalKill Bill kicks ass. I love it and I'll buy it and I'll see it many times.

No no no. I only care about the movie and won't buy anything more than once. Studios can stick the special edition DVDs with lots of new extra stuff up their asses.

And Pubrick, I'd like you to comment more that whole "a good movie is not just a matter of personal opinion" thing, because I do really believe that's bullshit. I'm not trying to attack you as I despise tese Message Board fights between users just because people don't respect each other's opinions. I just don't agree with that at all, since to me, a good movie depends on if I like it or not and I'd like you to really show me your point of view on this with more detail.

EDIT: That also is directed to SoNowThen  :wink:
Si

Sleuth

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal

No no no. I only care about the movie and won't buy anything more than once. Studios can stick the special edition DVDs with lots of new extra stuff up their asses.

And Pubrick, I'd like you to comment more that whole "a good movie is not just a matter of personal opinion" thing, because I do really believe that's bullshit. I'm not trying to attack you as I despise tese Message Board fights between users just because people don't respect each other's opinions. I just don't agree with that at all, since to me, a good movie depends on if I like it or not and I'd like you to really show me your point of view on this with more detail.

EDIT: That also is directed to SoNowThen  :wink:

that's really interesting because I think I think I agree with P on that, which means he's going to have a hard time trying to convince me that Vol2 wasn't good.  Like for instance, Resident Evil is a shitty movie.  It's VERY bad.  But I like it.
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Yeah, a new thread should be started for this.

But yeah, what Sleuth said...

For instance: I hate Fargo, but I know it's a good movie. I love Island Of Dr Moreau, but know it's a bad movie.

How's that for a jumping point?

And I know everyone will want to ask "so what makes a movie good or bad?" And to that, I say...

P will take it from here.

:-D

Seriously though, is that sorta where you were coming from too, P?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.