Best DVD Coverart

Started by ShanghaiOrange, March 30, 2003, 06:38:49 PM

bonanzataz

Yeah, but that's the whole appeal of the Boomstick edition. I wish those bastards came out with it last year so i didn't buy the regular edition and the bootleg edition. asses.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Derek237

(this is probably the best cover ever, IMO)

(Canadian DVD cover. Ha!)

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

I really like the covers to Rififi and the Vanishing.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenI really like the covers to Rififi and the Vanishing.

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

My main man comes through again.

Nice!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Derek237

Criterion makes pretty good covers. 'Cept for Spartacus, I hated that one.

godardian

Quote from: Derek237Criterion makes pretty good covers. 'Cept for Spartacus, I hated that one.

Why? It's not my favorite Criterion cover, but it's still pretty cool, I think.

Derek237

I thought it just looked too weird and I like the barebones Universal cover way better.

This is an amazing cover that makes the movie feel big and important (which it is).

But this one is just cartoonish.

modage

i like the second one. it looks like something Saul Bass might have done. very graphic.  its interesting to be able to distill the essence of a movie down to one simple image like that.  *(i like the bare bones cover too).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cecil

i much prefer the criterion

modage

i hate the requiem "cut and paste" cover though.  bugs the shit out of me. i believe the orignal poster had the image of the woman on the dock on the bottom half and not stars from the movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Quote from: bonanzatazYeah, but that's the whole appeal of the Boomstick edition. I wish those bastards came out with it last year so i didn't buy the regular edition and the bootleg edition. asses.

there was a 2 disc limited edition army of darkness that came out a few years ago that had the original theatrical cut and the directors cut but i guess its been out of print for a while. the cover was the actual cool poster art too.

godardian

Quote from: Derek237

But this one is just cartoonish.

I guess one person's cartoonish is another's iconic... the Criterion reminds me of something you might see in a Greek or Russian Orthodox church (please, any art-history vultures that might be lurking here, don't descend on me for this!). To my eye, the Universal one just seems cheesy, typical, and bland at best.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02i like the second one. it looks like something Saul Bass might have done. very graphic.  its interesting to be able to distill the essence of a movie down to one simple image like that.  *(i like the bare bones cover too).

I don't know that Saul Bass did the cover, but he did do the film's title sequence, which is pretty amazing and definitely embodies the single image/essence thing you mention.