The Silence Of The Lambs Criterion Collection

Started by THC, March 02, 2003, 07:48:47 PM

THC

This has been in the back of my head for a little while so I thought I would ask this in case anyone knows.  

I feel like a looser nitpicking like this, but in the Hard Eight / Sydney commentary, Paul Thomas Anderson mentions in the scene with Clementine in the bedroom alone waiting for Sydney to come in that he dims the lights just a little because Jonathan Demme did it in The Silence of the Lambs .  Paul says he heard Jonathan Demme say it in the Criterion commentary for the movie and that is why he stole it.  Now I know he was probably refering to the laserdisc version, but since the DVD has  the same commentary, why did I never once hear Jonathan Demme mention this point?  

Am I just not listening carfully?
Has anyone ever heard the laserdisc commentary?
Did this ever happen?
Why do I care?

-THC
"Come on Bart, we're going to see an R rated movie.  It's called Barton Fink."

Dirk

Quote from: THCAm I just not listening carfully?

I don't think it's on the DVD commentary track. I've heard it twice and don't recall hearing it either. Mac probably has the laserdisc Criterion and can let you know though.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Duck Sauce

I actually bought the Criterion DVD (still in wrapping) and the new SE version.

MacGuffin

As far as I know the Laserdisc and DVD commentaries are the same. Demme states the lights dim at the beginning of the conversation between Lecter and Starling when she talks about the lambs screaming. He talks about Tak Fujimoto dropping all the fill lighting in the room. And if it isn't there, then it's another reason I'm glad I didn't get rid of the laser (it has more extras too).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

THC

Thanks, I'll have to review that part again.  Not that it even matters.  I don't know why it even bothered me.

Do you have much of a laserdisc collection?  I was too poor to ever really get into collecting when it was at the height of its popularity.  The Criterion laserdisc collection is incredible.    Do you have any other Criterion laserdiscs?  Or do you have any idea of a good outlet where I could get some (besided Ebay).  I would love to get Altman's 'Secret Honor' which hasn't seen the light of day on DVD, and neither has 'Short Cuts' which was also a Criterion laserdisc.

-THC

sphinx

the laserdisc criterion version of 'trainspotting' kicks arse

MacGuffin

Quote from: THCDo you have much of a laserdisc collection?

Boy, do I. Not to toot my own horn, but 'beep, beep'.  :yabbse-cool:

Around 300

Quote from: THCThe Criterion laserdisc collection is incredible.

Yes, it is :yabbse-smiley: .

Quote from: THCDo you have any other Criterion laserdiscs?

Bad Day At Black Rock
Belle De Jour
Blade Runner
Boogie Nights
Boyz In The Hood
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Breaking The Waves
Carrie
Cat People
Citizen Kane
Crash
Dead Presidents
Do The Right Thing
El Cid
The English Patient
Evita
The Fisher King
The Game
Ghostbusters
Halloween
The Killer
Knife In The Water
The Magnificent Ambersons
Menace II Society
Mona Lisa
The Player
Pulp Fiction
Purple Noon
Raging Bull
Se7en
Sex, Lies And Videotape
She's Gotta Have It
Shine
Short Cuts
Silence Of The Lambs
Sling Blade
Some Like It Hot
Stranger Than Paradise
Taxi Driver
Three By Scorsese
Trainspotting
Umbrellas Of Cherbourg
West Side Story
Young And Innocent

Quote from: THCOr do you have any idea of a good outlet where I could get some (besided Ebay).

http://www.laserblazer.com

Quote from: THCI would love to get Altman's 'Secret Honor' which hasn't seen the light of day on DVD, and neither has 'Short Cuts' which was also a Criterion laserdisc.

The one I regret not getting is Repulsion (got outbid on ebay).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Dirk

Quote from: MacGuffin
Bad Day At Black Rock
Belle De Jour
Blade Runner
Boogie Nights
Boyz In The Hood
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Breaking The Waves
Carrie
Cat People
Citizen Kane
Dead Presidents
Do The Right Thing
El Cid
The English Patient
Evita
The Fisher King
The Game
Ghostbusters
Halloween
The Killer
Knife In The Water
The Magnificent Ambersons
Menace II Society
Mona Lisa
The Player
Pulp Fiction
Purple Noon
Raging Bull
Se7en
Sex, Lies And Videotape
She's Gotta Have It
Shine
Short Cuts
Silence Of The Lambs
Sling Blade
Some Like It Hot
Stranger Than Paradise
Taxi Driver
Three By Scorsese
Trainspotting
Umbrellas Of Cherbourg
West Side Story
Young And Innocent

Show off  :roll:
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Derek

I have the disc as well, it is the same as the laserdisc, and MacGuffin is right he does talk about dimming the lights during the lambs scene.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

THC

Wow MacGuffin, that is impressive.

If I had that collection I would let everyone know even if they didn't ask.

I have two  questions for you.

what sort of extras are on the Breaking The Wabes LD?  Any commentaries?  and also on the Taxi Driver LD.  Is there a Scorsese commentary?  I would love to here that if there is.

That is kind of three questions.

-THC

bonanzataz

There is a scorsese commentary on Taxi Driver LD. I got outbid for one on ebay.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

sphinx

taxi driver:
Audio commentary by director Martin Scorsese and scriptwriter Paul Schrader
Complete storyboards for the film
Production and publicity photos
An early draft of Paul Schrader's hard-hitting script
An essay about the creation of Bernard Hermann's score

breakin' da waveses
Four deleted scenes selected by Lars Von Trier
The complete European director's cut
A promo clip prepared by Lars Von Trier for the 1996 Cannes Film Festival
The U.S. theatrical trailer
Film transfer approved by Lars Von Trier

THC

O.k.  I am officially collecting Laser Discs.

sphinx

sphinx wishes fincher would do something about the criterion ld release of 'the game'.

list of features for the original LD release:
- New widescreen (2.35:1) digital transfer supervised by director David Fincher
- New Dolby DigitalĀ® discrete 5.1 channel surround sound mix supervised by sound designer Ren Klyce, optimized for home theater viewing
- Screen-specific audio commentary by David Fincher, actor Michael Douglas, screenwriters John Brancato and Michael Ferris, digital animation supervisor Richard "Dr." Baily, production designer Jeffrey Beecroft, visual effects supervisor Kevin Haug, visual effects producer Robyn D'Arcy and director of photography Harris Savides
- Behind the scenes footage shot exclusively for the Criterion Collection special edition
- Storyboards and production design drawings
- Alternate ending
- The original widescreen theatrical trailer and teaser trailer
- Psychological test film

looks very similar to the criterion/new line artwork for the se7en SEs...