Criterion Discs

Started by Myxo, January 16, 2004, 01:14:40 PM

picolas

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

(Thank you, Cinephile)

I have 40 bucks. I want to go pick up a Criterion. However, I am a bit Criterion illiterate. Someone please suggest to me a Criterion I should own.

So far I have...

Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Beastie Boys Anthology
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas
Brazil
Chasing Amy
Do The Right Thing
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Fernando

Quote from: W(Thank you, Cinephile)

I have 40 bucks. I want to go pick up a Criterion. However, I am a bit Criterion illiterate. Someone please suggest to me a Criterion I should own.

In the Mood for Love. Pure cinematic beauty.

ono

If you haven't seen anything you're interested in in the recommedations thus far, I doubt we'll be able to help you any further.

My advice, either browse the Criterion website or go to Borders and check out the foreign DVD section (if you're into that sort of thing).  Most of the foreign films are Criterions and most Criterions that Borders carries are foreign films.  Have to know what kind of flicks you like to give recommendations, though.

I bought Schizopolis recently.  STILL haven't had a chance to watch it (work sucks).  I'd go for a Bunuel, just 'cause I've always wanted to see The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, but haven't yet.  The extras on That Obscure Object of Desire aren't that great, if I remember correctly, but that's still an option.  So yeah, don't know what I'm rambling about.  Your turn.

samsong

Quote from: OnomatopitaThe extras on That Obscure Object of Desire aren't that great, if I remember correctly, but that's still an option.

Actually, for the "cheaper" Criterion discs, the Bunuel DVDs (That Obscure Object of Desire and Diary of a Chambermaid) got great treatments.  They feature video interviews with "screenwriter and longtime Buñuel collaborator Jean-Claude Carrière"... everything he has to say is fascinating.  The Bunuel films available through Criterion are all worth the money.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I've narrowed it down to these...

Last Temptation of Christ
Schizopolis
Knife In The Water
Scenes From A Marriage

Can anyone help me from there?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

godardian

Quote from: WI've narrowed it down to these...

Schizopolis
Knife In The Water
Scenes From A Marriage

Can anyone help me from there?

Scenes from a Marriage
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Last Temptation
or
Schiz
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Stefen

Knife In The Water.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

A Matter Of Chance

its nice that you all agree...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SoNowThenLast Temptation
or
Schiz

....... :yabbse-thumbup:

modage

rent htem all, and then buy the one you like best, (if you like any enough to buy).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Knife in the water.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I think as far as introductory discs go for those who want to discover the type of films Criterion are all about, they should start here:

Grand Illusion
Seven Samurai
8 1/2
Cries and Whispers
Rififi
Band of Outsiders

My personal faves:

L'Avventura
Closely Watched Trains
Amarcord
High and Low
Geoge Washington

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

It's that time again to go pick up a Criterion.

I've saved up, and I'm ready to roll.

I feel like a kid in a candy shop.  

Too bad the local Best Buy has crap for Criterion selection.  That is to say, they have very few to choose from.  I've scoured the DVD racks there quite often.

All they have (that I don't already own)...

Time Bandits
Scenes from a Marriage
Seven Samurai
Samurai Collection
Hitchcock Box Set

So let's see...from that selection, what would you pick up if you were me? (and had 50 dollars, so that nixes out the last two)