Post your DVD Deals

Started by SHAFTR, November 17, 2003, 11:44:42 PM

jenkins

i need some...help. it takes courage to admit when one needs help in the face of adversity, and today i feel brave enough to say it. here it is: oh god i need help

details:
foxconnect is having a sale to appreciate dads
http://www.foxconnect.com/promos/father-s-day.html?format=128

feeling strangely magnetized by "classic dude movies." classic dudes are so industrious you can't bother them, because then no work will get done, you know, they're the ones doing all the work, classic dudes stay busy doing work and kissing babes. that's the tradition. here's the sale roster:

Robocop Trilogy Collection $13
Rocky Heavyweight Collection $19.50
The Mel Brooks Collection $22.50
Steve McQueen Collection $16
The Hannibal Lecter Collection $13
The John Wayne Film Collection $19.49

thinking:

rocky
what really can anyone say about all the rocky movies? has anyone traveled beyond rocky 1? what's that like? maybe asking about rocky movies is as hopeless as asking about godzilla movies

steve mcqueen
i know he's prettier than sly stallone simply because he talks less. i could use a quiet and beautiful hero. four times. THE GREAT ESCAPE / THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN / THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR / THE SAND PEBBLES. i've seen the great escape and i didn't like it. thomas crown affair seems guaranteed. i both definitely want this and i'm definitely considering rocky over this, for some reason

mel brooks
basically this is a jk. i've tried him, boy i've tried. his reputation is being funny in a contextual way, and he doesn't work for me, he's like family guy funny to me. something like that, something like family guy, in which i see what's happening and what's being used and everyone is so imaginative and playful and wonderful and i want to hang myself in the kitchen. this is cheap and i'm still ehhhhh

john wayne
if i buy the john wayne set i'll probably watch 1-2 of the movies over a period of 2-3 years, and i bet i'll have a thing or two to say about each movie. something to consider

re: robocop: classics
re: rocky: one classic, rest of them stupid.
re: mel brooks: mandatory comedy knowledge, regardless of antiquation
re: steve mcqueen: classics
re: hannibal: meh
re: john wayne: classics

Reel

Doesn't even sound like you're interested in these. Did you just come into an inheritance or something?

...or meet a classic dude you're trying to impress?

First off, Robocop 2 and 3 are NOT classics. Scratch that one.

I would suggest buying the Rocky collection over Steve Mcqueen, seems more like a sure thing. People reference the Rocky sequels all the time for their goofy moments. I haven't seen them, but I think you'll have fun.

Save your money, bro!!

Me:

$5

$30

tpfkabi

You must be in your 20's or less, or grew up without cable TV to not have seen any of the Rocky sequels. I think I've only seen the original once, but I've seen 3 and 4 tons.
I watched 3 not too long ago and it was pretty fun. If you don't know who Hulk Hogan and Mr T are, it may not be as enjoyable. Eye of the Tiger didnt come along until 3.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

this post is for wilder, I bet

this big deal that's getting online movie shoppers excited:

I'm going to reverse rationalize the purchase of two, I think, and I'm currently considering:

River of Death
The White Buffalo
Convoy
Miracle Mile
Deranged
Paris Blues
Gator
Late For Dinner
Woman of Straw

is anyone, including not-wilder, but also wilder are you familiar with any of the movies I listed?

wilder

Paris Blues but I can't remember it. Images from Miracle Mile look interesting but I haven't seen it. You should make Coming Home a part of your life

jenkins

this is less impressive but way more fun than making considerations during the Criterion sale. trailers --

The Emerald Forest, my favorite type of trailer because a hilarious version of this would be exactly the same

Miracle Mile is an LA movie and my most likely purchase

Convoy is a Peckinpah movie I haven't seen, it deals with truckers and blue-collar friendly people, why am I waiting, what am I waiting for? realized Gator is the sequel to White Lightning and I should see those movies at some point too, but Convoy is the most pressing

The White Buffalo has pros and cons and I can't decide

Late For Dinner only has this one short odd trailer on Youtube, when I searched once

jenkins

this trailer seduced me with Taxi Driver

jenkins

Went with: Coming Home, Miracle Mile, Cherry 2000

Miracle Mile and Cherry 2000 are both directed by Steve De Jarnatt, so I'm going to learn about him and I'm excited. I believe, through my current guessing, that more people in the past wanted to be and got be like Steve De Jarnatt. He wrote Miracle Mile as well. Cherry 2000 was written by Michael Almereyda, who also wrote Twister, which if you haven't seen Twister that's a life mistake you've been making if you're a fan of Harry Dean Stanton or Crispin Glover, if you liked e.g. Home.

Spent money which I wish I had more to spend. Almost got Harry in Your Pocket, to save $2, but I felt like I could guess what kind of good that movie will be, and I lean toward Cherry 2000.

This screencap increased my interest in Zone Troopers and I hope to one day make it real:

Genuinely want to one day see Zone Troopers:

And it's not a part of the sale, but while clicking around in relation to this sale I was reminded I need to see Knightriders at one point, for varying reasons:

polkablues

Quote from: jenkins<3 on August 09, 2015, 04:28:45 PM
Cherry 2000 was written by Michael Almereyda, who also wrote Twister, which if you haven't seen Twister that's a life mistake you've been making if you're a fan of Harry Dean Stanton or Crispin Glover, if you liked e.g. Home.

He also made the best film version of Hamlet, which doesn't get a quarter of the love it deserves.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

Full Moon Features is having a vday sale and my god I just can't trust them so I hope I'm wrong about at least a couple. Paul Naschy's Orgy of the Living Dead is the one I can spot

Shout Factory is having a similar sale with an emphasis on slashers. Cobra, Silent Night, Deadly Night and the Psycho sequels are there

Reel

Cool thx! I snatched up Psycho II as a Christmas present  :yabbse-wink:

Reel

This time I grabbed The Craft and Day of The Dead. Now I have the dead trilogy on blu!

WorldForgot

Quote from: Reelist on February 11, 2021, 10:13:51 AM
This time I grabbed The Craft and Day of The Dead. Now I have the dead trilogy on blu!

Lovely!!!