The Directors Label DVDs

Started by KingBlackDeath, November 02, 2003, 07:00:11 PM

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

cowboykurtis

whos your favorite action figure?
...your excuses are your own...

Gamblour.

I'm pretty late with this, but I just bought the Romanek dvd. He's probably the first artist to capture my attention ever, as I was young watching those videos on MTV. I would remember the director's names and his came up on all my favorite videos. Scream, The Perfect Drug, Novocaine for the Soul. I remember those specifically.

This dvd is just incredible. I watched it straight through, it's such a joy. I'd never seen half of these, but they're all amazing, although I don't like the Keith Richards video or Sonic Youth's video much. I completely agree with RK, 99 Problems, the first video on the dvd, blew me away (haha punnery). It is the summation of Spike Lee, Matthieu Kassovitz, the French New Wave in four minutes. It just fucking pummels you with amazing imagery, and it made me love the song.

The Perfect Drug was great to rewatch because I totally missed the absinthe tripping sequence in the middle when I was a kid. It's interesting to think that there's a tenuous, but sound storyline going through his videos. I loved realizing the camera snapshot motif in Criminal. I loved the lighting in El Scorcho and my god the explosions in Cochise. This guy is the shit. I'm so glad I bought this.
WWPTAD?

hedwig

i just recieved this set for my birthday three days ago. so far i've watched the Romanek vids and part of the documentary. this is a dvd i'm glad to own..it'll definitely get lotsa repeated views. it already has.

what a consistently great collection of videos!

has anyone watched the documentary yet? it's pretty damn good, very interesting and informative. (and amusing, like when anthony kiedis mimicks romanek's voice. hahaha.) does anyone else think romanek looks a bit like alfred molina?

72teeth

the only thing funnier than Kiedis as Romanek is Romanek as Michael Jackson....in an even higher voice!!! :laughing:
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

hedwig

Glazer Disc Review

.things i loved.
videos:
..a rabbit in your headlights. words needn't be wrote. go watch it. experience it. (one of the best music videos ever.)
..virtual insanity.. just cuz it's cool.
..a song for the lovers. so sexy *sigh* but seriously  :oops: great concept beautifully executed.
..the radiohead videos-karma police/street spirit.. karma police is the superior of the pair, but both are eggsellent. street spirit is technically impressive but karma police really packs a punch.
..karmacoma - massive attack..hah, this one's interesting.

-- the menus are damn funny.

commercials:
WOW these are some brilliant, intelligent, hilarious commercials. the "Dreamer" one is ... mind-blowing :shock:

.interviews/commentaries.
some boring useless stuff but a nice amount of actual signifigant discussion about glazer's work. nick cave's insights on his video are quite interesting. also i was surpised to discover that the dude from Blur doesn't even like A Clockwork Orange.

.things i wasn't so crazy about.
.. the Blur vid - here's Glazer experimenting stylistically/visually but going nowhere thematically. fun to watch but ultimately underwhelming and pointless.
.. the Nick Cave vid - my least favorite. it makes no sense. the images do not fit the music or the lyrics at all. it's visually elegant.

Pubrick

Quote from: Hedwig on November 26, 2005, 02:03:14 AM
.things i loved.
.things i wasn't so crazy about.
good god man, what about the winner??
under the paving stones.

meatwad

Quote from: Hedwig on November 26, 2005, 02:03:14 AM
.. the Nick Cave vid - my least favorite. it makes no sense. the images do not fit the music or the lyrics at all. it's visually elegant.

i disagree, and think the images fit the music beautifully. it's one of my favorite videos from glazer, if not my favorite, no matter what nick cave thinks about it

Pubrick

Quote from: meatwad on November 27, 2005, 02:45:49 PM
i disagree, and think the images fit the music beautifully. it's one of my favorite videos from glazer, if not my favorite, no matter what nick cave thinks about it
how is it better than Song for the Lovers, or Rabbit in Your Headlights?

there's no transcendence, which is glazer's trademark and rightly so. he does transcendence better than anyone on videos.
under the paving stones.

meatwad

Quote from: Pubrick on November 27, 2005, 10:08:09 PM
how is it better than Song for the Lovers, or Rabbit in Your Headlights?

i just think it's a beautiful video that fits the song well

the comment about the nick cave video being my possible favorite from glazer, i suspect, may have to do with never having seen the video till recently, thus making it fresh to me. i've seen the unkle video and 'song for the lovers' lots of times, which does not make them any less good, but less of a current favorite

sickfins