Official Futurama Thread - Futurama back in '08 -RK has 2 years to afford cable

Started by ©brad, August 11, 2003, 04:12:20 PM

ono

Can't believe no one's posted here yet since Rebirth.  So glad Futurama is back.  Been marathoning with the old DVDs after the first two new eps premiered last week.  Tonight's ep is pretty great too.  Loved the sendup of the iPhone.  Better than anything posted in that Apple thread.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Man, I wish I had cable.  I was at a bar on a slow night, but also friends with the owner anyway, so he put on Futurama on the big screens and that was cool.  But I'll be missing it tonight.

I guess this thread didn't really blow up after all.

But they have been very humorous, I assure you all.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

The show's as good as ever, though what's with the topical (iPhone) or not-so-topical (Susan Boyle, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire) references?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

Really enjoyed the last episode.  Language mavins will love the running joke of Mom's robot extermination squad -- especially the last exchange.

ROBOT 1: But I don't see how it sur--
ROBOT 2: Someone said HOWITZER!!!
* they all shoot each other.

Beautiful.

But even better is they gave a little heart to the most boring character on the show, and tied together an unlikely combination of characters in the process.  It's interesting how the past three episodes have had these odder pairings -- Bender and Amy, Fry and the Professor, and now Bender and Hermes.  What's next?  Zoidberg and Scruffy?  ...well, maybe not after Scruffy tried to cook him.

matt35mm

That reminds me of a joke I made up when I was a kid.

PERSON 1: These Zoohoos are pretty good.
PERSON 2: They're called Yoohoos, with a Y, not Z.
PERSON 1: NAZI???
(starts shooting wildly)

Anyway, I've been disappointed with the recent episodes.  They're clearly attempting to be topical, but it takes too long for them to produce an episode for it to work.  For example, the episodes about the "eyePhone" and the Da Vinci Code.  A lot of the jokes are still pretty good, but the stories are not as strong, and the character stuff has been kind of slapdash.  In the robosexuality episode, Amy and Kif break up, Amy is suddenly in love with Bender, then in the last minute of the episode, it all goes back to the way it was.  Futurama used to stick with its relationship developments.  The everything-back-to-normal deal is more of a contemporary Simpsons structure.

But I've yet to see the newest episode.

ono

The Late Philip J. Fry SPOILERS

PROF: Just slow down.  I'll shoot Hitler out the window.  (fires gun)  Aw, hit Eleanor Roosevelt by mistake.

Love it.  Funny and poignant, one of the best episodes ever.

And to be fair, Futurama rarely sticks with its development, especially re: Leela and Fry.  But we can give them a pass there.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This season is far from a let down (besides the Susan Boyle joke as a black hole of comedy, even though it's voiced by Craig Ferguson, which would otherwise could've been a great guest voice).

ono

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I keep flipping back and forth as to whether or not I like this season.  The episodes are fine, but they don't seem to have as much rewatch value as seasons prior.

They're still online for free on that site Matt posted a while ago, so I have the ability to rewatch them and maybe get a better gauge of it, but something seems off.  The writing is there, the characters are still with their sharply defined personas, but the storylines seem like they wanted to tackle such huge, current issues coming right back out of the gate.  I'm not sure how else they could've come off doing it, but at least they didn't turn into Family Guy or anything.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This may be over-excitement because of uncertainty of the new episodes, but this new one Clockwork Origin is pretty incredible.  It seamlessly taps into a lot of amazing themes and ideas that Futurama dances around but never completely submerges in because of how much depth there is to cover.  But the whole episode makes incredible parallels between creation and evolution, on top of that, it suggests the next step of evolution could be technology.

Please someone else see this so we can discuss this.

ono

I did.  It's not as emotional as The Late Philip J. Fry, but it was a very solid episode.  It was very balanced, I think, in showing both sides of the coin (love the ape professor -- the missing link calls back to that Late Philip episode where they see the statues of different races taking each other over -- people, apes, birds, cows, blobs, etc), and approaching things in a novel way (no matter how implausible -- though, that is the essence of science fiction).  I can't get behind the idea that technology evolves of its own volition, but what came of that idea was one of the most original episodes of anything I can remember seeing.  It reminded me of that short blurb in one of the Futurama movies where the snake and the frog, in different phases of evolution, usurp each other in order to survive.  I think it was To The Wild Green Yonder.

ono

Two great episodes in a row.  Last night's was just a riot in every way imaginable, with a great little punctuation, bringing back the Globetrotters with the quad-screen brain swap as icing on the top!  Loved the scene with Scruffy and Amy especially -- er, whatever that bucket was called.  :)  There's just so much to say that was right with this episode -- Prof. and Zoidberg's date, Leela porking out, Hermes getting slim, Bender as the acrobatic stunt devil who saves the day.  Classic.

ono

I wouldn't have known about this if it weren't for EW.  At least it's good for something.  I always really liked the Anthology of Interest episodes, so hopefully this'll be of the same quality.  Last episode this year was kind of blah, but still looking forward to when it comes back in 2011.