Kubrick's Best Film

Started by Tiff, January 08, 2003, 06:14:44 PM

Gamblour.

Hahahahahahahahah

Ahh that was good. *wipes tear

Don't think I've laughed out loud literally on Xixax before, hehe.
WWPTAD?

©brad

Pubrick

Quote from: ©bradi don't get it.  :(
chest rockwell has a maximum of 3 fingers.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: Gamblor the Manwhore
Quote from: Chest RockwellAnd plus, Nicole Kidman gets naked in it more times than I can count on my fingers. boo-yah.

You only have two fingers?
Maybe the guy's got two hooks. One on each hand. :shrugs:

Or he just can't count very high. Or doesn't have a spare hand to count much higher...

OR ..maybe he saw the directors cut
With hooks for hands?! C'mon, Neon. Get with the program.

People with hooks for hands aren't able to watch Directors' Cuts?
No, because they get jealous that their hands aren't shears.
Ah, I see. That would lead to them having final cut.

Quote from: Pxixax comedy at its finest, ladies and germs

This has to be one of the funniest threads ever.

haps6296

I realize this thread has pretty much died but I'd like to selfishly add my two cents.   :P

I'm biased both because I haven't seen all his films and I just watched "A Clockwork Orange" again last night, but I'd have to go for 2001 and ACO as my two favourites...  The Shining and Dr. Strangelove are definitely up there too but I think the former two would be my "Kubrick desert island" picks     :-D
"Keep your lamplight trimmed and burning!"

kassius

My favorite too.  I still can't get the scene out of my head when Danny is sitting in the hallway and the ball rolls up to him.

It's just a ball.  A ball!

But the damn thing, to this day, scares the piss out of me. :twisted:

Quote from: taz.Shining was my first Kubrick film. When I was 7, I was extremely afraid of horror movies and wanted to get over that fear, so me and my mom went and rented a whole bunch of horror movies. Shining was at the top of my list. It was, and will always be, my favorite Kubrick.

Thecowgoooesmooo

The Kubrick film, which I have put off seeing for a long time, for fear that it would dissapoint me was Barry Lyndon. Looking through this thread, I found a few Barry Lyndon references...

I watched the film in two parts over the past two days. I watched the first half of the film to Intermission, and then I followed up the rest of the film today.

Barry Lyndon is absolutely amazing. And supriseingly this film has rose to my #1 Kubrick film.

In my eyes, it is no question, that Stanley Kubrick is a brilliant filmmaker.

In Barry Lyndon, Kubrick did, what most filmmakers never achieve in a lifetime.

chris

Just Withnail

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooIn Barry Lyndon, Kubrick did, what most filmmakers never achieve in a lifetime.

What?

ono

Quote from: Withnail
Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooIn Barry Lyndon, Kubrick did, what most filmmakers never achieve in a lifetime.
What?
I don't think you'll get an answer from him anytime soon.

Pubrick

Quote from: Withnail

What?
yeah, it's a shame this was the only time cowmoo said anything right..

a better statement would be that with every film since Lolita kubrick did what most ppl never achieve in their lifetime. and that's TOTALLY OWN YOU.
under the paving stones.

Weak2ndAct

I have a theory: the older you get, the higher Barry Lyndon moves up on your Kubrick-favorites-list.  It was at the bottom for me (I saw it at a pathetically young, inept age where I was disappointed that every flick didn't have an ear-slicing scene scored to 'Stuck in the Middle With You') early on in my movie-watching years, but it now sits firmly at #1, and don't suspect it will be going anywhere soon.

ono

The older one gets, the more one tends to appreciate artful, gracefully-paced films period, really.  Though I always want to be able to appreciate kinetic films that do things right, too.

Pubrick

Quote from: Weak2ndActI have a theory: the older you get, the higher Barry Lyndon moves up on your Kubrick-favorites-list.  It was at the bottom for me (I saw it at a pathetically young, inept age where I was disappointed that every flick didn't have an ear-slicing scene scored to 'Stuck in the Middle With You') early on in my movie-watching years, but it now sits firmly at #1, and don't suspect it will be going anywhere soon.
i agree with that. same can be said for everything after barry lyndon.

just for shucks, here's a basic timeline of kubrick maturity..

optimistic youth - Strangelove, 2001, Clork Orange.
maturity and the beast - lyndon, shin, fulmj.
old guy saying "this is how it was in my life" - ews.

for this reason i think ews is the most rewarding, and everything since lyndon is preparation for it. the last 2 years i've been more of a shining duuk myself. but they're all good for an immersive Now experience. funny thing is my first ever favorite Clork, is now near the bottom of the list..
under the paving stones.

ono

Problem is, from the first time I saw EWS, even before I was all movie geek, I knew it was something special, and it has always been my favorite Kubrick (though I still have a lot of them to see).  Generalizations are a nice guideline, but they don't always work perfectly.

Pubrick

Quote from: Onomatopoeia(though I still have a lot of them to see).
then u don't even know what i'm talking about, sorry.
under the paving stones.