Family Guy

Started by SHAFTR, June 27, 2003, 01:27:41 PM

Sleuth

Yes, the relevance of the Simpsons should never ever be overlooked, but the fact remains that Family Guy was fucking hilarious for completely different reasons.
I like to hug dogs

picolas

count me as one of the eight. never really thought about the descent from the golden age that way..that the premise was kind of like a trap in itself...a giant cardboard box you could only get out of by poking a few holes..

SHAFTR

I have watched The Simpson..but not a whole lot..which is very strange for a college student.  The show never hooked me (i've probably watched 10 or so episodes).  I only saw the first episode of Futurama and it didn't hook me either.  I saw one episode of Family Guy and immediately went and bought the box set.  It hooked me and I love the show.  I am excited for the 3rd Season release.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Raikus

Hot damn! I finally triumphed.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Simpsons have only been running because they were the only one going.  So creativity is handed to them.  Dr. Kevorkian was the only suicide doctor for a while, that dosen't make him the best one.

Simpsons ran for 14 years because once other bankrupt moral cartoons came around, people had been brainwahsed into thinking Simpsons was better.  While Simpsons is funny at times, I dont' feel any Simpsons episode can compare to a Family Guy episode for the fact that Family Guy was jampacked with nonstop humor, while Simpsons' is more stretched out among the episode, and there a few funny points.

I'll give credit to the Simpsons for paving the way, but I believe it's predcessor Family Guy is a case where the student surpasses the teacher.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Sleuth

Yeah, Simpsons is definitely for smart people.
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

spongebob squarepants. theres a solid cartoon

Raikus

Need I remind everyone of:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

moonshiner

Quote from: Walrus, kookookajoobI'll give credit to the Simpsons for paving the way, but I believe it's predcessor Family Guy is a case where the student surpasses the teacher.

Quote from: tremoloslothYeah, Simpsons is definitely for smart people

:P  haha
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

SHAFTR

Quote from: cecil b. dementedspongebob squarepants. theres a solid cartoon

I love that show.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pas

Quote from: SHAFTRI have watched The Simpson..but not a whole lot..which is very strange for a college student.  The show never hooked me (i've probably watched 10 or so episodes).  I only saw the first episode of Futurama and it didn't hook me either.  I saw one episode of Family Guy and immediately went and bought the box set.  It hooked me and I love the show.  I am excited for the 3rd Season release.

I don't like The Simpsons as much as I used too. South Park is much funnier. Family Guy is halfway. And Bruno Blanchet is king. You're screwed, english people, because he is french and he is not english, just french. Ah ah.

BonBon85

I'm more of a

girl myself.

picolas

anyone else here a

fan?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Bonbon, you are very bright and attractive.  Fairly Oddparents rule, and I was just about to comment on them.

Picolas, you are also very correct.  I wish that show lasted longer...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Cartoon 'Futurama' Ending After 4 Seasons  

NEW YORK - A prediction: Viewers eons from now will give "Futurama" the credit it deserves today.

Oh, it may not make them laugh. But when the show's time finally comes, this shrewd cartoon series could well be endorsed as an accurate picture of life, circa A.D. 3000.

For now, however, we ancients of the 21st century who love it will continue to celebrate "Futurama" as unbeatable satire - even as its prime-time cycle nears an end.

Fortunately, "Futurama" reruns air on Cartoon Network at 11 p.m. EDT Sundays through Thursdays as part of that network's "Adult Swim" program block. Next month, the second "Futurama" season will be released on DVD by Fox Home Entertainment.

And on the Fox network, the final three new "Futurama" episodes can be seen Sundays at 7 p.m. through Aug. 10.

Granted, four seasons in prime time is nothing to sneeze at - unless compared to "The Simpsons," still going gangbusters on Fox after 14 years.

Matt Groening's big "Simpsons" follow-up, "Futurama" has always been overshadowed by his brilliant first-born.

Who knows why? The verbal humor, sight gags, wicked cultural jabs and general irreverence that make "The Simpsons" great are found full-strength on "Futurama," as is spectacular voice talent (including Billy West, John DiMaggio and Katey Sagal).

What's more, "Futurama" took a bold step beyond "The Simpsons" (based as it is in Homer Simpson's hometown of Springfield) to take on the entire universe from a vantage point a thousand years away.

Its odd little band includes Fry, a twentysomething slacker who, on the first episode, inadvertently time-traveled from 1999 to 2999. There, in the city rechristened New New York, he fell in with Bender, a sarcastic robot-reprobate and Leela, a sexy, kick-boxing alien with a single large eyeball.

They work as the delivery crew for Professor Farnsworth, who at 160 years old is both a genius and senile, and happens to be Fry's great-(times 30)-nephew. One other notable is Dr. Zoidberg, a lobsterlike alien who serves as staff physician for Farnsworth's intergalactic FedEx.

Just these details should make it clear: "Futurama" goes anywhere, anytime, with every manner of creature and cargo, to deliver the laughs. And to drive home the show's bleakly funny lesson: Life as we know it (whatever the millennium or galaxy) is an exercise in lowered expectations.

Item: In mid-flight, Fry spots a planet and, hungry, wonders if it might have a restaurant.

"Don't get your hopes up," says Bender. "We're a billion miles from nowhere."

"Yeah," agrees Leela, eyeing the planet. "It's probably only got a Howard Johnson's."

In the future, clone candidates square off in meaningless elections. Santa Claus is a huge, evil robot who bellows threats like "Your mistletoe is no match for my TOW missile!" And nature is out of control (although, happily, nuclear winter has canceled out global warming).

Even death is a muddled institution. The heads of famous people from the past spend eternity alive, displayed in jars in a Head Museum where Richard Nixon ("I am not a crook's head!") can consort with George Washington, TV pitchman Ron Popeil or even Matt Groening.

"Futurama" informs us that, a thousand years from now, advertisements will be beamed into a sleeping person's dreams.

"That's awful!" says Fry. "It's like brainwashing."

"Didn't you have ads in the 20th century?" asks Leela.

"Not in our dreams!" replies Fry. "Only on TV and radio. And in magazines. And movies. And at ballgames. And on buses. And milk cartons. And t-shirts. And bananas. And written on the sky. But not in dreams! No sirree!"

Even when the "present day" of 3000 appears enlightened, any such sign of progress serves to underscore the follies of the "past."

For instance: Remember garbage, that signature of the 21st century? They don't in the future. No one knows what garbage is.

"We recycle EVERYTHING," Leela boasts to Fry. "Robots are made from old beer cans."

"Yeah," adds Bender, hoisting a brew, "and this beer can is made out of old robots!"

It falls to Fry to share long-lost techniques for littering. Just as, on another episode, he draws on 20th century logic to argue that TV should avoid all cleverness, since "clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared."

As viewers eons from now may discover, "Futurama" never bothered to take its own advice.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks