Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi  (Read 5190 times)

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1479
Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 09:53:34 AM »
I'm listening to an old podcast episode that goes through problems with The Last Jedi. I thought it might be interesting, but I'm just laughing derisively at it.

"It's too hard to understand why they do that... This movie is not very considerate of the audience..." That one made me laugh out loud as a Lars von Trier fan. I can't think of a less meaningful criticism to make of a film.

This line of criticism is so just tiring to me as a Lost and Game of Thrones fan. I have no patience for people who want everything spoon-fed to them. Who need all the explanations for everything right now. On one level, I think it's fueled by a suspicion that the filmmakers don't know the answers. What a strange impulse that is. But it's pervasive.

The trip to Canto Bight has brought out some weird takes, too. I get that this is not usually what a Star Wars movie does. But really. It's like even casual filmgoers have read screenwriting books and have this ideal of perfect three-act blockbuster movie structure, and more than being confused, they're offended that The Last Jedi has the entitlement to transgress. Wait, this sequence doesn't furiously drive the plot forward? How is this allowed??

This movie has brought out some reeeally bizarre reactions. And the more I try to consider them, the less I understand them.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

brockly

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
i started watching this again when the digital release came out and didn't get much further than the opening space battle. not because i wasn't enjoying the film - this first sequence alone is actually a fascinating clusterfuck of some of the most obtuse cliches and lazy plot mechanics i've seen in some time. i just need to be in a very specific mood to allow myself to enjoy this film for what it is. in the space of 5 minutes the movie gives us one of the most awkward and worst examples of expository dialog delivered by Gleeson's character, a terribly cringey and out of place 'your mama' joke, a gun predictably jamming and then being repaired in one of the most nonsensical and goofy ways imaginable, an entire fleet of bombers (save one, conveniently) taken out by the same array of flying shrapnel… and then a remote control mcguffin that hangs on the edge of a platform. OH SHIT WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN??? of course we know the outcome as soon as we see a slow motion closeup of someone closing their eyes and focussing their might. but then... more fake tension with a shot that shows the remote impossibly out reach, followed by a clunky cut of a hand catching it that makes no logical sense. part of me is in awe of how utterly mishandled this entire sequence is. i get that this is a shallow critique, but it's the only chunk of the film that's fresh in my mind at this moment.

Ravi

• Admin
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2018, 10:55:35 PM »
I have no patience for people who want everything spoon-fed to them. Who need all the explanations for everything right now. On one level, I think it's fueled by a suspicion that the filmmakers don't know the answers. What a strange impulse that is. But it's pervasive.

All this endless explaining/backstorying/prequeling in these franchises is just information collection, and it's not interesting to me.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2018, 11:33:31 PM »
Which Star Wars movie are you talking about?

pete

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • freakin huge
  • Respect: +442
    • my site
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2018, 02:03:45 PM »
well that makes perfect sense - you bought into Lost's justification so much that now you automatically assume the most artistic of intentions behind every other franchise choice because hey - if Lost meant well then surely Star Wars would have to mean well too.

I'm listening to an old podcast episode that goes through problems with The Last Jedi. I thought it might be interesting, but I'm just laughing derisively at it.

"It's too hard to understand why they do that... This movie is not very considerate of the audience..." That one made me laugh out loud as a Lars von Trier fan. I can't think of a less meaningful criticism to make of a film.

This line of criticism is so just tiring to me as a Lost and Game of Thrones fan. I have no patience for people who want everything spoon-fed to them. Who need all the explanations for everything right now. On one level, I think it's fueled by a suspicion that the filmmakers don't know the answers. What a strange impulse that is. But it's pervasive.

The trip to Canto Bight has brought out some weird takes, too. I get that this is not usually what a Star Wars movie does. But really. It's like even casual filmgoers have read screenwriting books and have this ideal of perfect three-act blockbuster movie structure, and more than being confused, they're offended that The Last Jedi has the entitlement to transgress. Wait, this sequence doesn't furiously drive the plot forward? How is this allowed??

This movie has brought out some reeeally bizarre reactions. And the more I try to consider them, the less I understand them.
“Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot.”
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2018, 03:42:42 PM »
well that makes perfect sense - you bought into Lost's justification so much that now you automatically assume the most artistic of intentions behind every other franchise choice because hey - if Lost meant well then surely Star Wars would have to mean well too.

"Would have to mean well"...

What does it mean to you to pass the "mean well" test? Again, I don't understand this impulse to be suspicious of the creators' intentions.

Lost and Star Wars are fantasy stories whose mythologies (I feel) have a life of their own, so I have no reason to expect that there's not room for mystery or ambiguity or the creators not knowing. That seems fine to me.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy