Banshee - the best new action series on TV

Started by cine, February 23, 2014, 05:57:24 AM

cine what did you think of the last two? i was pretty disappointed.

cine

Quote from: 03 on March 17, 2014, 05:10:10 PM
cine what did you think of the last two? i was pretty disappointed.

same. few cool moments here and there but otherwise way too much exposition and build up for an underwhelming finish. ep 5 & 10 (when they go to the house where Racine pops up), i actually had to pause it and wonder if i had accidentally downloaded some sorta weird Banshee Origins Backstory Bonus Episodes instead. the show never needs endless exposition and i would imagine no one tunes in for that. i sure as hell don't. so yeah, really dragged on for me.

as for the final ep, it was mostly predictable, too. the last few scenes were all i cared about.

uh... SPOILERS EVERYONE (just you and i)

SO. THAT SAID.... season three is looking GOOOOD. Kai is ready to end Hood, Gordon has almost hit rock bottom, Nola Longshadow doesn't know about her dead brother and Street-Fighter-character Chayton is coming back to town. lots and lots of good action to come.

im glad you said that about ep 10, because i was a little confused, too.
they usually distinguish a flashback with the weird blurry thing, and so i guess that threw me off.
the stories in this show are pretty awesome for the most part, but as a side dish for the amazing action and chuck norris on acid stuff, so as you said, the exposition was pretty pointless. heres to season 3 though, lets get retarded.

diggler

I thought the church escape scene that opened episode 9 was the best sequence the show has staged yet. I don't really care about Rabbit and the show never did a good enough job at establishing what a psychopath he was, so I'm glad that story is wrapped up I guess. Next season looks fun.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

yeah i just rewatched ep09, and that was actually the better episode of the last two. church escape was badass. can we start calling him asian lafayette?

Jeremy Blackman

Some reactions to the pilot...

It lived up to the "trashy TV done right" promise. Quite fun. I will probably watch more.

SPOILERS for the pilot.

Proctor is already a decently complex character, although his name is dumb and I feel like they could have gone with a more compelling/distinctive actor. It's funny though, I feel like they've already laid his cards on the table, so I'm not sure where else they can go with him.

The bad girl teenage daughter stock character annoys me and will surely continue to annoy me, but that happens. She's worse than the one in True Detective, but so far better than the ones in American Horror Story and Homeland. I predict that the protagonist will take her under his wing at some point. He seems to be showing a lot of interest in her and her age, so either that or he's into underage girls.

The Slavic gangsters are just silly right now. Hopefully there will be less mustache-twirling in the future. Or is that what I want? Honestly not sure.

The hairdresser is instantly my favorite character. More of that.

Interesting thing about the show's premise. I understand how ridiculous it is; unseen sheriffs being shipped cross country certainly can't be a thing. But I immediately loved it and felt defensive of it, because it's such a fun idea.

I'm sure this is explained in the next episode or two, but if they're going to pursue Proctor, obviously they needed an outsider who had no chance of being in his pocket.

The courtroom scene was perhaps the most problematic in the pilot, mostly because everything that's happening there is so important and so many character are established, but in the moment you think it's just a random scene with a bunch of plain-looking middle-aged white gentlemen talking in a courtroom and it kind of washes over you.

So, question, the real sheriff was eating a steak at the bar, but who cooked that steak? Does the bartender have an unseen kitchen staff? Does he have a grill going out back?

I assume the real sheriff told people, friends and family, where he was going. When they suddenly never hear from him again, won't they get curious? Maybe call the sheriff's department? (No spoilers please.)

i love you jeremy. if this is what you come up with for just watching ONE episode? i absolutely cant wait for you to finish the first season. it makes me pretty excited, the journey you're about to take. dont worry, you are going to fucking love this show. and now, i can't remember if this is episode one or two, but they make it pretty clear that the dude has no friends or family to speak of. and the bartender is also the cook, yes.

diggler

Promo for Season 3. I love the promos this show makes.

diggler

Anyone watch the season 3 premiere? Taking out a military convoy with a bow and arrow is the kind of ludicrousness I love from this show.

Jeremy Blackman

Hmm maybe I'll have to pick it up again. Is the teenage daughter still annoying?

polkablues

They should do a teenage remake of Thelma and Louise with the daughter from Banshee and Dana from Homeland. Then have them drive off the cliff in the first scene.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

And the car lands on Violet from American Horror Story.

diggler

The daughter is annoying but a little less so this season because she's older. The rest of the show is pulpy joy.

Fernando

SPOILS S03E03

this last episode was ridiculously fun.

my one complaint is that Proctor's man servant/terminator killed Nola, I liked her.

otherwise it was great, that obese guy was like a Bond villain and died like one.

diggler

Teaser for the final season. Damn I'm gonna miss this show.