Kill Bill: Volume Two

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2003, 01:38:09 AM

Finn

This is a brilliant film! I loved the dialouge, the creativity of the direction and the scenes where Uma Thurman gets in and out of those tricky situations. It's not as dark, violent or even as visually stunning as the first one. Tarantino takes a step back from that and pays more attention to his writing. It's a very satisfying way to end the story and it does so with loads of creativity.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

TENOCH

This is a Spoiler Question I think.

What was the extra shot after the end credits? I just missed it by a few seconds

mutinyco

Still nobody's explained what makes it a good film...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

Quote from: TENOCHThis is a Spoiler Question I think.
What was the extra shot after the end credits? I just missed it by a few seconds
an outtake of uma pulling out that guys eye in the first movie and saying something funny.
Quote from: mutinycoStill nobody's explained what makes it a good film...
i think i explained what made it a good (but flawed) film for me personally.  but i dont think i can convince you.  if you dont care for tarantino, that may just not be your thing.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

wow it was good, wish I was in LA 'cause my friends there saw the two movies back to back last night--that woulda been a blast.  Really liked the David Carradine interview on page 21--that's the most honest I've read him in.  He's been writing about that movie in his Inside Kungfu column for almost two years now (feels that way at least) and just been talking himself up and whatever, but in that interview he finally came clean.  Pretty cool.
Again, wish I had seen the fight against Michael Jai White, Uma did her best, but Michael Jai White deserves a break and that fight scene was supposed to be awesome.
Didn't really care for the Mexcian brothel either.
Hmm, writing about this film makes me wanna see it again.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

Humm yeah so that was rather disapointing. It was good and all, but it never reached any climax.

The fight with Elle was my favorite scene. Which says a lot about the emotional drive this one gave me : none.

A decent succession of winks at notorious directors and also an incredibly large amount of self-recognition. How many times do we need to be reminded that this is a film by Quentin Tarantino ? Twice on the DVD cover, and 4 times in the movie's credits I guess.

Like someone said, inspiration and references are good, but there's a line not to cross, that Kill Bill, Vol 2 at least, has crossed in my mind.

Henry Hill

Quote from: TENOCHI feel sorry for people who don't enjoy this film. This is a masterpiece by Tarantino. Enough said.

i absolutely agree. i wonder if as a whole film it would have been edited differently? would some of volume 1 been mixed with volume 2? would both films as they are now have been cut down for the one film? i dont know, but i cant wait to see it as a whole. i almost dont want to compare the two films, because  technically they are not. its funny, as my fiance and i were walking of the theater she heard this group of guys saying "that was the biggest piece of shit, etc." i would dismiss the chance that they did not see volume 1, otherwise why see volume 2? so my final conclusion was that they were expecting what they got from the first film. with the all out revenge, killing, and things. how could they have not gotten the memo from what seems like hundreds of interviews between quentin, uma, and michael..and daryl even from the past few weeks.  that volume 2 was to be more story and less sword play. it was quentins writing at its best. something i found kind of interesting, but in hindsight am not surprised, there was not a single black person in the theater (as opposed to volume 1). clearly they got the memo.

El Duderino

i really really dug this movie. i still like volume one more, but this is a great great film.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

nix

Had to wait til now to post my feelings. I saw it on Tuesday night, but it was the most maddening screening I've ever attended. Out of focus the whole time. This was my first time seeing volume 2 and the motherfucker was out of focus.

So I saw it again tonight and fuck, man... it's great. Simply great.

mutinyco, I'll tell you why I think it's good:

1. the many many wonderfully funny moments. I think people forget that at the end of the day, this thing is supposed to be funny. Jesus, the pregnancy test scene alone is more brilliantly funny than many entire movies. Pai Mei was a riot.

2. A movie called Kill Bill takes you from hating Bill and wanting to see him dead, to actually liking him, and changing your mind. That takes skill. D.C.'s performance was perfect.

3. Scenes that almost no other filmmaker would ever think of putting in. The whole titty bar scene. It's great character stuff. Another character you think you hate is made sympathetic for a brief moment. No one else would take the time to do that.

4. It's so beautiful to look at. I love the use of color saturation and grain in the Pai Mei chapter. The B&W, the use of 1:33, sitting in black for three minutes, all very inspired stuff.

5. The speeches! Bill's story about Pai Mei, his Superman speech, Elle's speech about the black mamba, the fish story. The story about Bill sucking his thumb...

I also feel like volume two doesn't stand on it's own, but the way I look at it, it's one movie. I'm trying to put the two together in my head, but it's tough. Once I see it as one movie I predict it will be a grindhouse masterpiece. Aww fuck it, it already is.[/b][/u]
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

SHAFTR

after loving Vol 1...I need to see Vol 2 again.  I'm not quite sure how I feel.  I definitely liked it...but I'm not sure how much.  I'll go see it again and post a more thought out review.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

***********SPOILER**********

come on. That underground/claustrophobia scene was just amazing.

*************END SPOILER**************

cine

I've been skimming this thread to see people's thoughts without viewing any spoilers and I'm chomping at the bit to see this on sunday afternoon.  :-D

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02also: there were some spots in the film that didnt sit quite right with me.  the tone didnt seem right in places, and i realize how difficult it must've been to get the tone for the whole bill finale and i dont think it was quite right through the whole thing.  theres a lot of story/emotions/dialogue to get through during that part and it doesnt all go down quite right for me.  

........before watchin gthis film ......people need to read what i qouted from mod-age ......he nailed it.....!!!!!!!!

-all that vol. 2 has done is prove how stupid it was to make this into 2 volumes......its like i feel that after months..... "'NOW"  i hit the "'resume" buttoin on  a film....and the whole flow of it is pucked......get that sh*t through your phucking skullz.......part 2 suffered from the split.....l;ike i have said earlier.....WAIT UNTIL VOlS. 1&2 ARE SPLICED TOGETHER TO MAKE A COMPLETE FILM......on dvd......damn,  that  would be sweet.....

Myxo

This film is the fucking BOMB.

Oh my god..

*creams himself*

I'm going again tomorrow..

So much better than the first.. It's crazy.

<-- This entire sequence.. *creams himself again*

:)

Finn

Yeah, I'm gonna try to go today again too. It's truly a creative piece of art!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."