Tenacious D Hunger Strike

Started by meatwad, November 04, 2003, 10:01:39 AM

meatwad

From CNN.com

NEW YORK -- With tongue planted firmly in cheek, the members of Tenacious D announced Monday that they would begin a 45-day hunger strike at 5 p.m.

In a satirical move to promote the DVD "The Complete Masterworks," due Tuesday via Epic, members Jack Black and Kyle Gass said they will climb into a seven-foot by three-foot by seven-foot glass box 50 yards above Times Square at the intersection of 45th Street and Broadway, where they will remain for the length of the strike.

The intersection is the location of MTV studios, where they were to appear on Monday's episode of "Total Request Live."

Actor/singer/guitarist Black said the strike would end early on one of three conditions: if "The Complete Masterworks" goes platinum, if "hunger is solved" or if there is peace in Middle East.

The duo made the announcement dressed in silver and white superhero costumes, with the letter "D" covering their barrel-shaped chests, white gloves on their hands and white capes tied around their necks. In addition to water and one red cell phone, Black quipped that they would bring one guitar into the glass box with them. "If we need extra nourishment, we will live off each others' rock."

When the pair was asked the longest duration either had gone without sustenance, Gass replied that one time he had gone eight hours between meals. Black said that once he slept for 12 hours, effectively spending 13 hours in-between meals. "It's gonna test our will, but I feel confident we're gonna make it," said Gass.

After the hunger strike, Black said the group will continue working on the long-awaited Tenacious D movie, "Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny."

"The Complete Masterworks" was scheduled to be previewed for fans Monday night at San Francisco's Sony Metreon Action Theater, and at Alamo Draft House locations in Houston and Austin, Texas, free to the public on a first-come-first-served basis.

freakerdude

They could make it a 90 day and still come out looking good.

Calling them musicians is like calling Lance Bass or Shaq actors.
MC Pee Pants

Sigur Rós

Hehehe, that's a great media stunt.

kotte

Quote from: freakerdudeCalling them musicians is like calling Lance Bass or Shaq actors.

hey...Tribute's a great song...

TheVoiceOfNick

Jack Black could stand to drop a couple tons... but hey, then he wouldn't be that funny fat dude we know and love from High Fidelity and Shallow Hal anymore...

phil marlowe

i sertanly hop that fat piece of shit jack black starves himself to death.

NEON MERCURY

.i not that bid of a fan of these musicians....

jack black is fat
and the other guy is like the other guy from Wham ...

ShanghaiOrange

I think Tenacious D should open meditation temples throughout the world to achieve world peace.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeI think Tenacious D should open meditation temples throughout the world to achieve world peace.

hahahahah!!!

Sleuth

I really think Jack and Kyle are great individually, but I don't like Tenacious D (humor-wise).  

Of course, I've never seen the HBO stuff which I've been referred to
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

and I shall refer you again.

It's really sad that they've been introduced to the world in the way they have... they really are a great and funny band and it was all about the show and the accoustic sets.  

The "rocked up" versions of all the songs that have become popular don't represent them well at all.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

They are talented, although in jest.  One shouldn't deny their awesomeness on the instruments.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

mister mister

The idea of Jack Black going on a hunger strike is quite funny.

I saw School of Rock yesterday and when asked why he wouldn't go on a diet by a student Black replied with an incredious look on his face "Because I love food, man!!"

Ghostboy

So the hunger strike only lasted 27 minutes or so right? Brilliant!