Grizzly Man

Started by MacGuffin, July 08, 2005, 03:50:41 PM

pete

just saw it.  incredibly powerful, but you have to be a fan of herzog or at least know his persona before going into the film because herzog as a narrator interjectes a lot and says a lot of bleak Herzogian things, which prompted the theater to laugh out loud a few times ("I believe the universe if full of chaos and murder"...etc.) and sometimes he can be a little stern, but that's just Herzog and that's why we love him.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pwaybloe

"I beleef dee universe is full oft chaos ant meerder"

Sal

One of these:  :yabbse-thumbdown:

Not because the film was poor, but because I really disliked the "grizzly man." What a nut.  It's hard to sympathize with him, so you just watch him in fascination and disconnect like it's a zoo animal.  But zoo animals are generally more interesting than this guy, who with a few key exceptions, is just a weird burn out running around the wilderness proclaiming his love for the animals.  That we couldn't listen to his death from the audio tape is perhaps less a promise for him than it is for the mysterious woman he was with that day.  Hearing his demise would have satisfied me more than anything else - like a man said in the film, he deserved what he got.

Alethia

Quote from: SalHearing his demise would have satisfied me more than anything else

that's kind of sick.      he was a human being, after all.

Pubrick

Quote from: ewardhe was a human being, after all.
try telling him that. (if he were alive)
under the paving stones.

Myxo

I finally saw this tonight and thought it was great. Herzog does a great job honoring the life of Treadwell with passion, while portraying him as someone with a great deal of arrogance.

SPOILER

Sadly, he probably would have survived many more adventures if he hadn't gotten greedy in the end. All it took was overstaying his welcome late into the season and that was it.

Alethia

i loved it.  

the scenes where his ex-girlfriend (the woman with the tape) would just go on and on reminiscing about him were endlessly moving.  her speech patterns and the kind of far out look in her eyes are very haunting to me, i don't know why.  watching her face as herzog listened to the tape really shook me up.

SPOILERS

another moment with her that i wont forget: when herzog asks her if sometimes she feels like timothy's widow and she kind of laughs and exclaims " do i think of myself as his widow?!" as if it was the most ridiculous question he could ask, and almost immediately she warms to the idea and starts to go on and on about how, sometimes, she does indeed feel like his widow...

and yeah, treadwell was interesting too......

kotte

Tell me, what's the song at the end of the trailer...?

Pubrick

Quote from: kotteTell me, what's the song at the end of the trailer...?
coyotes by don edwards
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

I liked it a lot and would say it is one of the top 3 films of the year thus far.  It's also my first Herzog film (where do I go from here?).  

It's a critical view of Treadwell.  You may either love, hate or feel neutral about him...either way, he is a compelling human being and character.  Also interesting is not just Treadwell, but all the other bizzare people in the film.  I don't know what it is but everyone seemed a little off.

I also love how the documentary also works as a love of cinema.  I was consistently reminded of Bazin's feelings of cinema...the fact that it has an essence.  

My only complaint is that it sometimes feels a little long.  I thought it should have ended a few minutes earlier.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Alethia

Quote from: SHAFTRIt's also my first Herzog film (where do I go from here?).  

stroszek, land of silence and darkness, great ecstacy of woodcarver steiner, aguirre: the wrath of god, fitzcarraldo, heart of glass, little dieter needs to fly, lessons of darkness (and fata morgana) and cobra verde are a couple of ones you should check out initially

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

at least see it kinda last...

The Perineum Falcon

aww, i was gonna see it kinda second or third....  :oops:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.